Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with People Stealing my own Software.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dealing with People Stealing my own Software.

MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
edited November 2011 in General

I'm going to put this briefly, I'm supposed to be doing AS Level work when I don't have lessons since i'm majorly behind.

I have 2 pieces of PHP coded software, I gave someone the permission to use both pieces of software, under as set of terms they agreed to.

They have broken these terms, so I have asked them to stop using all copies of my software and delete them, all I've received back is a fuck you, they seem to think they own code ownership because they have the code.

One piece of the software calls home and and attempts to check if its verified, so I disabled it my side, although they have been checking into how to remove my DRM from the code.

Their a kiddie host, i'm not going to name and shame but they are living in the US, and they use US Companys. So I have sent DMCA to them and all the companies their hosting the pirated software on.

the DMCA to the fucktard was ignored and I was told to "give up". The DMCA to one company is going slowly due to the fact hes disputing it with them, and the other one (namely JaguarPC) think theres no such thing as a copyright infringement.

I never wanted to make this public, I never wanted to ruin the fucktards kiddiehost reputation, I just don't know what todo next.

I thought about submitting it to the bandwidth providers, but a bit puzzled on that.

I really don't want my own work to be used without my permission, I spent days working on it.

Does anyone have any advice on it?

Comments

• May I ask who the kiddie host is and how you know?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited November 2011

@NickP said: May I ask who the kiddie host is and how you know?

Pretty much matches all the pointers.

Terrible Spelling

Weird Replies that sound like its someone foreign.

Their banned from WHT.

I had them on my Skype, talked to them quite a bit.

Their name is colorhost.

Wouldn't surprise me if they start replying to this topic, but I'm prepared to post all the evidence in public, I have nothing to hide.

• NickPNickP Member
    edited November 2011

Got the domain :)

• @NickP said: Colorhost.com doesnt' exist.

Its a .co

• @NickP It's .co

• @Daniel said: Its a .co

>

I think I've never seen a company even use one of them. Don't you have to select it from the list of other domain extensions on most registers?

• DMCA is useless if there not in USA ( As you already know), If i was you i would add some kind of backdoor code.

• @DanielM said: DMCA is useless if there not in USA ( As you already know), If i was you i would add some kind of backdoor code.

they are in the USA.

• @Daniel - Sucky situation =\ But (especially with PHP's popularity) there's really no solid way to prove code is yours. Even if the individual's drives were seized, there's nothing stopping them from modifying the code enough to claim it as their own.

Your best bet, especially when dealing with people you don't explicitly trust, is to start encrypting anything you intend to publicly sell/release.

• That's why I always say to people to be careful with contractual situations or work outside the EU if you're a EU citizen. Inside the EU you have the co-operation in judicial matters, means: you simply go to your local attorney and file a suit. It will be done locally and must be enforced in the other Member State.

I don't know if there's a co-operation between the UK and the US. (I suppose you are from the UK, right?)

Thanked by 1asf
  • @Aldryic said: @Daniel - Sucky situation =\ But (especially with PHP's popularity) there's really no solid way to prove code is yours. Even if the individual's drives were seized, there's nothing stopping them from modifying the code enough to claim it as their own.

Your best bet, especially when dealing with people you don't explicitly trust, is to start encrypting anything you intend to publicly sell/release.

I have the dumbo admitting its my peice of software and hes forcefully removing the DRM,

Have screenshots of everything, even negative stuff about me. But im not afraid to share.

• Best keep to the backdoor idea then. Any software/script i design i always include a special code incase theres a problem..

• If you are really mad at them for stealing your code just go behind 7 proxies and have some fun with them ;)

• @kylix said: That's why I always say to people to be careful with contractual situations or work outside the EU if you're a EU citizen. Inside the EU you have the co-operation in judicial matters, means: you simply go to your local attorney and file a suit. It will be done locally and must be enforced in the other Member State.

I don't know if there's a co-operation between the UK and the US. (I suppose you are from the UK, right?)

Both the UK and US have international copyright treaties, so even in the US hes stealing.

Hes obliged to respond appropriately to the DMCA, which he lacks, even as a "host"

• @gsrdgrdghd said: If you are really mad at them for stealing your code just go behind 7 proxies and have some fun with them ;)

Haha, I don't want to be malicous. I've done enough already to attempt to remain calm. Someone even suggested i DoS them offline, but why would I want to do something bad when I've done nothing wrong in my opinion?

@DanielM said: Best keep to the backdoor idea then. Any software/script i design i always include a special code incase theres a problem..

And what if someone else finds that backdoor?

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel said: Both the UK and US have international copyright treaties, so even in the US hes stealing.

Sure, they have copyright treaties, but you then have the burden of proof and the distance and costs. It would be much easier to report an offence to the police if the Crown law is involved.

• @Daniel

Make sure its hidden well....

@kylix

Since Britiain is essentially americas bitch am sure they will take notice to a DMCA. but its not required as such

• @DanielM said: @Daniel

Make sure its hidden well....

@kylix

Since Britiain is essentially americas bitch am sure they will take notice to a DMCA. but its not required as such

US companies are still required to act on my DMCA request. (from what I know from previous experience)

The Conservative Goverment want to extend the leach the US has on the UK, eg blocking extradition etc.

• I hope they can never break your code and start considering using something else

by the way, what was the purpose of both these scripts?

edited November 2011

@Asim said: I hope they can never break your code and start considering using something else

by the way, what was the purpose of both these scripts?

A Minecraft Control Panel and a SolusVM Reseller Framework

They have broken the DRM, http://mcp.colorhost.co/login.php as you can see. It used to look like..

http://grab.by/bdbR

My DRM code was only basic, and was encrypted only to a certain level. They probably just had a guess at add/removing code. Since it was pretty obvious where it was, stupid oversight on my behalf.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel said: The Conservative Goverment want to extend the leach the US has on the UK, eg blocking extradition etc.

I think I'll never understand why the UK tries so hard to be the lap dog of the US.

Anyways, I hope you have success with your DMCA!

• @kylix said: Anyways, I hope you have success with your DMCA!

I finally got in contact with Jag, their abuse email is wrong on their website.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited November 2011

@kylix
    David cameron is useless. we need Margaret Thatcher back in power!, not that the labour party is much better tho...

@Daniel

Where is the server actually located? in america or europe?

• @DanielM said: Best keep to the backdoor idea then. Any software/script i design i always include a special code incase theres a problem..

Thank you very much for letting me know about that so that I know to never use any code you've written.

@Daniel: You won't get anywhere with their bandwidth provider. From your original post, it seems that they filed a DMCA counter notice. Did you receive this counter notice from their hosting provider? Did their host originally take down the copyrighted code like they're supposed to? Ultimately, if they have filed a counter notice, your only possible next step is to take this to court, which will be expensive and, due to the fact that you're from another country, complicated. You need to consider whether it's worth the cost of hiring a lawyer and going to court on a case that you could very well lose. My suggestion would be to forget about the whole thing and move on. Take this as a lesson that you need to protect your copyrighted code that you're not releasing under a free software license. I recommend IonCube for any PHP code. It's unfortunate that people would blatantly violate your copyright like this, but it's a fact of life in the software world, and unless you're a big company that can afford to take people to court, you're just going to have to deal with it.

• @DanielM said: @kylix David cameron is useless. we need Margaret Thatcher back in power!, not that the labour party is much better tho...

I dream for that day, I'm a Tory at heart.

• @DanielM said: David cameron is useless. we need Margaret Thatcher back in power!, not that the labour party is much better tho...

+1 for that!

• @NickM said: Thank you very much for letting me know about that so that I know to never use any code you've written.

@Daniel: You won't get anywhere with their bandwidth provider. From your original post, it seems that they filed a DMCA counter notice. Did you receive this counter notice from their hosting provider? Did their host originally take down the copyrighted code like they're supposed to? Ultimately, if they have filed a counter notice, your only possible next step is to take this to court, which will be expensive and, due to the fact that you're from another country, complicated. You need to consider whether it's worth the cost of hiring a lawyer and going to court on a case that you could very well lose. My suggestion would be to forget about the whole thing and move on. Take this as a lesson that you need to protect your copyrighted code that you're not releasing under a free software license. I recommend IonCube for any PHP code. It's unfortunate that people would blatantly violate your copyright like this, but it's a fact of life in the software world, and unless you're a big company that can afford to take people to court, you're just going to have to deal with it.

I don't think they've filed a counter claim, they lack knowledge what a DMCA is. I think they've just tried to drag it on with their VPS company, saying how their apparently not breaking anything.

I finally got in contact with Jag, hopefully I can get somewhere with them.

• On a side note, perhaps just open sourcing it would be a benefit for you since you could get other people who found it useful to expand the codebase. It might be a way for you to recover this code as yours before they go spamming it across the web.

I used to worry about protecting my code, then I realized that there was a lot missing from my scripts I could either find the hard way - or hire the world to find and fix for free.

All my stuff is MIT license now. It's like the Open Source version of GPL. ;)

edited November 2011

@Xeoncross said: On a side note, perhaps just open sourcing it would be a benefit for you since you could get other people who found it useful to expand the codebase. It might be a way for you to recover this code as yours before they go spamming it across the web.

I used to worry about protecting my code, then I realized that there was a lot missing from my scripts I could either find the hard way - or hire the world to find and fix for free.

All my stuff is MIT license now. It's like the Open Source version of GPL. ;)

I did considoring open-sourcing it, but its not really in a format ready to be open-sourced.

Athough i support open-source, this may sound selfish, but I would prefer 100% ownership over most things I create.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

This is actually why i don't release my code to the general public anymore. That and well to be honest, it sucks and no one would want it anyway.

I see that you mentioned contacting the host and the bandwidth provider. I think you may have skipped a step. Have you contacted and DMCA'ed the datacenter?

edit: I'd also raise a little hell in hosting forums whereever JaguarPC and colorhost advertise and flat out ask them why they don't respect DMCA and deal with the thieves on their network. While some providers will ignore any and all complaints (ie yardvps) most providers give a care about how they look in public and probably should follow up quickly.

To be honest though, it's probably moot as I'm sure they have a copy of the code and just will move elsewhere.

one thing to consider is to raise a little hell in whatever mind(whatever) forums exist. May get their license pulled from there as I'm sure their license disallows use of pirate software in connection with mind(whatever)

But again, it's probably all moot.