Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crissic has been acquired by QuadraNet - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crissic has been acquired by QuadraNet

Comments

• stab said: I guess this means goodbye to my yearly Crissic deal? And probably the entire Crissic brand, to be honest.

More or less. It seems like QN bought Crissic for the IPs, not the clients. Surely they can get more profit per IP by moving them to QN than maintaining the current Crissic packages.

• stab said: I guess this means goodbye to my yearly Crissic deal? And probably the entire Crissic brand, to be honest.

black said: More or less. It seems like QN bought Crissic for the IPs, not the clients. Surely they can get more profit per IP by moving them to QN than maintaining the current Crissic packages.

It's a sad day when IP addresses are valued more than paying clients.

• @black said:
    More or less. It seems like QN bought Crissic for the IPs, not the clients. Surely they can get more profit per IP by moving them to QN than maintaining the current Crissic packages.

It's either the IPs or the hardware, but given they seem to have no issues getting better hardware themselves than Crissic has, it must be for the IPs.

It's a shame that, in the end, the customers are likely screwed. And that while I've taken a liking to my Crissic boxes.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Bad news for me. Have to look for an alternative in a few months.

• Hey guys and gals! Wanted to provide an update from my end here.

It is true, QuadraNet has purchased Crissic and I now hold a position at QuadraNet.

My understanding is that QN will be emailing all existing customers once they have a full handle on the infrastructure of Crissic and get support situated on their end. The goal isn't to keep customers in the dark, so look out for that one hopefully soon.

I wanted to thank everyone for giving Crissic a second chance two years ago and allowing the brand to grow and mature. It was a pleasure working with the community!

I will stick around and likely participate in the community discussions, however my time in the industry has passed, and I hold no interest in re-entering the low end market as a provider.

• Best of luck to you.

Thanked by 1SkylarM
  • @jmginer said:
    Price increase around 300%

*sniff sniff

• TomTom Member

Uh oh.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@manlivo said:
    +1 Crissic. Hope keep their prices.

They did, just that they changed every product to have no stock. @dustinc, Crissic was great before you guys bought it out... Now, we have to pay $5.81/mo in comparison to $4/mo, 15GB of SATA space rather than 40GB of SSD space, and half the amount of bandwidth.

For the "SVZ1024" plan on Crissic, we get 60GB of SSD space and 3TB of bandwidth in comparison to half the amount of space of which isn't even on SSD, and a third of the bandwidth given by Crissic on QuadraNet's "InfraOrange" plan.

One more question: why are QuadraNet's IPv6 addresses so expensive? On some LET providers, they just hand out /64 blocks to anyone that wishes to have one, in comparison to your $1.46/mo per IPv6 address pricing.

I'll miss Crissic, @SkylarM for the awesome support, and the cheap prices. QuadraNet Cloud is just not worth the price.

Thanked by 1manlivo
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2015

@doghouch said:
    Now, we have to pay $5.81/mo in comparison to $4/mo

>

QuadraNet Cloud is just not worth the price.

I imagine Crissic sold to Quadranet because the amount of money being made was not worth the time they were putting into their business. Case in point, the owner now works for Quadranet.

A lot of the offers you see here are simply not sustainable as a primary product long-term. Pretty much any time you see a company change hands here, that's why.

If you want stability, you generally have to pay for it.

Thanked by 2Nick_A doughmanes
  • doghouch said: One more question: why are QuadraNet's IPv6 addresses so expensive? On some LET providers, they just hand out /64 blocks to anyone that wishes to have one, in comparison to your $1.46/mo per IPv6 address pricing.

Yea, insane considering any reputable ISP - ironically even QuadraNet - gives you a /48 (or at LEAST a /64) per server/client...

Added to my list of ISPs to never use.

Thanked by 3vimalware doghouch adly
  • my time in the industry has passed, and I hold no interest in re-entering the low end market

and

SkylarM said: I now hold a position at QuadraNet

so, QN won't be continuing with lowend services. at least not promoting them

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: Those are not usable due to... make a guess... Windows!

Yeah, but I can see Microsoft wanting those class Es to be used...everyone needs to go to them for a patch.

https://raindog308.com/what-about-those-class-e-addresses

• edited August 2015

If I remember it correctly, there's an old post at WHT that this time you will stay in business, and will never out/sold your business again.

So, this time, will be your last time in hosting industry, or will you start another business again next year?

Old history : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1260952

Thanked by 2NexHost mayasl
  • apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited August 2015

William said: Company is probably quite useless - Might turn a bit profit but i doubt it's anything huge. The IPs on the other hand... worth at least 100k.

I doubt he got anywhere near that. If the business was not profitable I highly doubt he'd be able to cover the renewal fee for those ARINs either.

I think employment at QN played a huge role in the sale. He worked a lot for little to nothing, now he works less for more. Not easy to manage that number of budget clients.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    If I remember it correctly, there's an old post at WHT that this time you will stay in business, and will never out/sold your business again.

So, this time, will be your last time in hosting industry, or will you start another business again next year?

It's useless to ask. Some are serial offenders and some are not. Trust your feeling. He won't keep his word anyway.

• /me removes Crissic from the list of recommended providers

Thanked by 1mayasl
  • So, you're going to break the panel, move everything and then send a notification to the clients?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Took a quick read. I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that people will be interested in "upgrading" their internet. Without getting these updates/patches, they simply won't be able to access the class E space right? Basically all sites/services that the majority of people care about already have plenty of non "class E" space, and I'm not sure that the majority of the internet would care about this upgrade. It doesn't actually "break the internet" like you've claimed. To me, the logical conclusion would be that "Class E" space if released would be in a position very similar to IPv6 is today. It will be treated as a lower class/quality IP, and be handed out for free/cheap (just like IPv6). However, providers will have to do stuff like "Class-E IPv4 only vps" or whatnot just like they're doing with the IPv6 because there will be a chunk of the population that simply isn't going to upgrade their stuff and be unable to access these IPs.

But I'm not omniscient either so only time will tell I guess.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

Has there been some problem with the services, or just slow support response time? It sounds like they're planning on keeping prices the same for existing customers, but they don't want to commit to that in case something unexpected happens. So overall, unless the services have degraded in quality, it appears to be much better and less "scummy" than others like Incero and GVH have done.

Edit: although I can't say I've been completely satisfied with InfraCloud, there've been a few reboots without notification and the disk performance isn't that great; still, for hourly billing the pricing is pretty competitive (my requirements are stable though, I've been meaning to switch to RamNode for a while since they added LA location but never got around to it; maybe this weekend?).

Edit2: also I just noticed you can only edit for one hour instead of twenty-four hours now.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
    edited August 2015

Jonchun said: Without getting these updates/patches, they simply won't be able to access the class E space right?

I think the effort to get class E addresses to work is significantly lower than the effort to switch to IPv6. The patches needed for class E addresses would only be for operating systems and switch/router firmware.

Obviously this is a big deal. But there is a much larger set of application software that would need changing for IPv6 compatibility. I know for example many games produced before 2010 that assume an IPv4 network, and transmit IP addresses as four bytes; some are still very popular but no longer maintained and unlikely to get IPv6 support from the developer. I'm sure there are other classes of application software that have these properties. This set of software does not care about class E addresses, so would not need modification to work with class E.

Anyway, I do agree that the benefit is probably not worth the effort, even if we're able to get class E addresses routable to 99.999% of Internet users.

• I'll just request termination at Crissic right now, knowing there will be a 1000% price increase sooner or later.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

perennate said: Anyway, I do agree that the benefit is probably not worth the effort, even if we're able to get class E addresses routable to 99.999% of Internet users.

I agree with what you said, but I think it would be useful to go ahead and make the effort and roll out the patches. Then, even if we don't release the space to be used in the public pool, we could consider allowing the space to be used as RFC 1918 space or for CGNAT. There are organizations that use large blocks of IPv4 addresses that could then return or sell their space, freeing up space for those who need public addresses.

Thanked by 1perennate

qps said: I agree with what you said, but I think it would be useful to go ahead and make the effort and roll out the patches. Then, even if we don't release the space to be used in the public pool, we could consider allowing the space to be used as RFC 1918 space or for CGNAT. There are organizations that use large blocks of IPv4 addresses that could then return or sell their space, freeing up space for those who need public addresses.

Ah, that's an interesting idea.

• perennate said: RFC 1918 space or for CGNAT.

You know there is a large chunk reserved for CGNAT and you can just segment your network to use it multiple times, right? The only ISPs that use this tech currently (3G/4G ISPs mainly in Europe) use HW that can do this already by default (basically anything Huawei, Alcatel, Nokia or ZTE has that built in).

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Funny, I'm already encountering networking issues with the Jacksonville, FL VPS. All manner of services are timing out and suddenly not working.

Haven't had an issue in ages and now on the day of the buyout (which customers still haven't been informed about properly), things start going wrong.

sigh

• zedzed Member

You think that's funny, wait 'til the support guy tells you that your systems are actually fine, it's just SolusVM misreporting it.

• I have a vps on the LA node and it too is encountering problems. Same connection timeouts and very slow when it is mostly idle. Not looking good for the customers.

Thanked by 1rpollestad
  • This time around it seems like the business plan worked out pretty well for SkylarM, good for him.
    I had almost two years of great service from Crissic and wish him well.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

dustinc said: At this point of time, we will not be introducing price increases at the Crissic brand. Existing customers will keep their existing services and prices.

In other words: you will in the near future?