Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meet Alphabet - Google's new parent company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Meet Alphabet - Google's new parent company

Our company is operating well today, but we think we can make it cleaner and more accountable. So we are creating a new company, called Alphabet (http://abc.xyz). I am really excited to be running Alphabet as CEO with help from my capable partner, Sergey, as President.

What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google. This newer Google is a bit slimmed down, with the companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products contained in Alphabet instead. What do we mean by far afield? Good examples are our health efforts: Life Sciences (that works on the glucose-sensing contact lens), and Calico (focused on longevity). Fundamentally, we believe this allows us more management scale, as we can run things independently that aren’t very related. Alphabet is about businesses prospering through strong leaders and independence.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/google-alphabet.html

Comments

• Oh my.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited August 2015

I bet they will create companies based on alphabetical. Like Android does.

Cupcake (1.5)

Donut (1.6)

Eclair (2.0–2.1)

Froyo (2.2–2.2.3)

Gingerbread (2.3–2.3.7)

Honeycomb (3.0–3.2.6)

Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4)

Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1)

KitKat (4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2)

Lollipop (5.0–5.1.1)

Android M (developer preview 2)

My friend does this too. naming their kids alphabetically. EFGHIJ.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • @Fritz said:
    My friend does this too. naming their kids alphabetically. EFGHIJ.

Thanked by 2Profforg Fritz
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

They have too much free time.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Lol this is going to be fun, prepare your popcorn mates

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Companies seem to start renaming when they have an identity crisis. I wonder if they are going to roll-back this shit in a few years, like when Borland did, they renamed to "Inprise" for a few years, "surprisingly" that didn't help, even made things worse, so after a while the old name was returned.

• they are doing this to limit liability for their self-driving cars. they don't want the entire google empire going down when those cars get into accidents (as they are bound to do) and they are heavily sued.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • FritzFritz Veteran

@nexmark said:

LOL! They are using numbers instead.

• So someone has got this domain and redirect it to bing.com lol

http://abc.wtf/

Thanked by 2Hybrid Licensecart
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited August 2015

how do they trademark the name " alphabet ", its too generic

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • They've got enough money to bribe whoever needs to be bought to have alphabet trademarked. Possible results?

Education institutions and governments paying for the right to teach the alphabet, unless they give it a new name, like A to Z, a2z.

namhuy said: how do they trademark the name " alphabet ", its too generic