Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NOT MY BUSSINES --- SSDVM Closing Down Doors - 01/12/2012
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NOT MY BUSSINES --- SSDVM Closing Down Doors - 01/12/2012

tsantentsanten Member
edited November 2012 in General

This is the mail that SSDVM send me today where i have a test vps

We are contacting you to inform that unfortunately we will be closing our doors at 01/12/2012.
The reason is because we haven't been able to pick up business as expected and after 6 months we have decided it is time to close down.

We ask you to take backups of your files as after 01/12/2012 it will be deleted and we won't be able to help you with restore.

T

Comments

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited November 2012

Whats SSDVM? Seems just like another summerhost

• LeeLee Veteran

Never heard of them, summer hosts don't usually give you warning of their departure.

• You were hosted in OVH?

• Name sounds familiar, heard it a few times.

• Ouch, at least he gave a good advanced warning.

• Warn your customers, not the people on LET (who don't know about your summer host)
    If you give up due to school starting again you're a complete failure

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited November 2012

Not my host i only want to warn to backup data for others
    Used for test only with very good performance. I think OVH ip question is responsable

• He was with OVH, maybe he quits because Kimsufi is taking off IP blocks and less bandwidth.
    http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/188.165.12.106 <-- he is with OVH for sure though

• jhjh Member

Someone should start a 'winter host' to take over 'summer hosting' customers..

• @jhadly

Because you don't have a bigass holiday in the winter :P

• jhjh Member
    edited November 2012

@BronzeByte said: Because you don't have a bigass holiday in the winter :P

Maybe you don't ;)

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited November 2012

@jhadley said: Maybe you don't ;)

Let's start a winter host together then :P
    Let's call it winterhost xD

• Thanks OP, you little gem, you.

• @tsanten: Any interest in selling your business?

• winterhost.com is not available :)

• @Damian this. We can get infrastructure and IP Space(already have multiple /24's in ger) easily.

• @Damian said: Any interest in selling your business?

@tsanten said: Not my host i only want to warn to backup data for others

• Someone should consider it. The node was running very well. Actually n°3 on my list.
    Unfortunately it seems impossible financialy to run a VPS node at OVH if you don't own your IP blocks... Any comment from @ssdvm ?
    For reference, that was the last offer.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sorry to see a provider not able to generate enough business to stay afloat, but very classy of them to give so much notice.

• @jarland said: Sorry to see a provider not able to generate enough business to stay afloat

This is 2 SSD down this week? I know the earlier was just 1 of many locations, but this is what I was predicting to myself (puts @francisco hat on), SSD only would be a failure within 6 months once all the testers finished their rounds.

edited November 2012

@miTgiB said: SSD only would be a failure within 6 months once all the testers finished their rounds.

I mean it's an ok concept it's just that SSD cache really does give the best of both worlds. That's why I'm glad RamNode got into that market too.

• Thank you for sharing the email, we really wouldn't won't anyone loose his files.

I also would like to address the "summer host" comments made here about us,
    we are definitely not a "summer host" or whatever you call it in here, we are a serious group of people that were interested in lunching successful business, however due to some complications on the road there we were unable to achieve our business goals as expected and so we have decided that it would be best for us to close the doors with appropriate warning to all our customers. You will definitely hear back from us in the future after we are back from the sketching board again and hopefully next time we will succeed, until then if anyone have a question feel free to send me a message.

Regards,
    Dima

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland said: I mean it's an ok concept it's just that SSD cache really does give the best of both worlds. That's why I'm glad RamNode got into that market too.

Yep, covering all our bases.

For those who asked about SSDVM selling - I was contacted with regards to buying them. No offense to them, but it's not really worth it.

• @jarland said: I mean it's an ok concept it's just that SSD cache really does give the best of both worlds. That's why I'm glad RamNode got into that market too.

With adaptec controllers you have to have 1 SSD for every mechanical disk.... or an SSD pool not protected with raid on maxcache...... and neither one can increase write performance - only reads.

• @Corey said: With adaptec controllers

Well there's your problem ;)

• @miTgiB said: Well there's your problem ;)

LSI does it differently? I never have liked how LSI keeps linux unaware of the actual disks on the other side of the conroller.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jhadley said: Someone should start a 'winter host' to take over 'summer hosting' customers..

haha

@BronzeByte said: He was with OVH, maybe he quits because Kimsufi is taking off IP blocks and less bandwidth.

http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/188.165.12.106 <-- he is with OVH for sure though
    doesn't matter where you are hosting your servers you should think the business plan in advanced..

• @Corey said: LSI does it differently?

When using cacheCade, you build an array of SSD then apply which VirtualDrives make use of the cache. What you like doesn't matter, LSI is far better supported under Linux than Adapcrap and their abandonware.