Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email script - any recommendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email script - any recommendations?

WHTWHT Member

Hello guys.

Is there any open source and free email script so users can create emails themselfs? Kind like gmail.

Thank you!

Comments

• Does mailcow support it? I don't know.. in theory it is as easy as using MySQL to store users and writing a simple PHP script to add users..

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHTWHT Member

I was looking into it but there is no option for user to create account himself. Also when I type the password wrong or logout it redirects to roundcube.

• Do you mean a service that you can allow people to add their own domain and then as many email accounts as they require on their own domain?

If so your best most feature rich setup is CPanel with a Mail Only Theme & Feature set.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited August 2015

@AshleyUk said:
    Do you mean a service that you can allow people to add their own domain and then as many email accounts as they require on their own domain?

If so your best most feature rich setup is CPanel with a Mail Only Theme & Feature set.

No no. Am looking something like yahoo mail or gmail.

• @WHT said:

What I mean is this for your personal use, or you wishing to sell as a service?

• WHTWHT Member

@AshleyUk said:
    What I mean is this for your personal use, or you wishing to sell as a service?

For public use.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@WHT said:

Doesn't exist, you'll have to build it out from something else or make it from scratch.

A while back I had made a WHMCS plugin to do this with iRedMail but the vulnerabilities of what I coded were hilarious (not accidental, I was well aware and used mod_security to bandaid it lol), so that has been rightfully trashed.

• WHTWHT Member

@Jar said:
    A while back I had made a WHMCS plugin to do this with iRedMail but the vulnerabilities of what I coded were hilarious (not accidental, I was well aware and used mod_security to bandaid it lol), so that has been rightfully trashed.

Maybe you got me wrong.
    Am looking something like: http://www.clonescripts.com/gmail-clone-script/

edited August 2015

@WHT said:
    Am looking something like: http://www.clonescripts.com/gmail-clone-script/

Nooe, you're looking for something you can toss on a box and people can sign up for email addresses without any prior admin authentication to set up their accounts. Doesn't exist. That's why I made the makeshift thing I described, because I offered free email accounts for people to sign up for as an experiment with MXroute.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • iReadmail

• maybe there is something you need here http://www.toplisttips.com/top-free-mail-servers/

• Hivemail it's the closest thing your looking around.
    If you increase your budget it would be better/cheaper in the long run to get a DA license and have built a sign form using their IP, just like @Jar did with WHCMS.

What I dont like about hivemail, it's that you use a single email accout for everything, there is not much control for the email accounts.

@thekreek said:
    Hivemail it's the closest thing your looking around.
    If you increase your budget it would be better/cheaper in the long run to get a DA license and have built a sign form using their IP, just like Jar did with WHCMS.

What I dont like about hivemail, it's that you use a single email accout for everything, there is not much control for the email accounts.

Yeah I saw hivemail when I was looking around. Latest news shows an update in 2013. Looks pretty scary ;)

• Zimbra can probably do this.

• @Jonchun said:
    Zimbra can probably do this.

Resource hungry and not scalable.

• @alexvolk said:
    Resource hungry and not scalable.

He's looking for a free ready-made solution. Why does this matter? If he wants something scalable/efficient, he can hire someone to build it.

• @Jonchun said:
    He's looking for a free ready-made solution. Why does this matter? If he wants something scalable/efficient, he can hire someone to build it.

It does matter because on small server Zimbra will not be usable at all.

• @alexvolk said:

I've successfully run a zimbra setup on a lower end KVM (dedicated CPUs). It will also definitely work on a lower end dedi <$49.

• @Jonchun said:
    I've successfully run a zimbra setup on a lower end KVM (dedicated CPUs). It will also definitely work on a lower end dedi <$49.

Quite interesting. Probably high amount of incoming mails what killed my zimbra instance.

alexvolk said: Quite interesting. Probably high amount of incoming mails what killed my zimbra instance.

I'm quite positive you're right. Zimbra starts out heavy, calms down, but then with heavy usage it begins scaling again in resource consumption. Sure you can run it on a $49 dedi just fine, but nothing like a single core KVM or an Atom. You can pull off low resource for single user usage but it really does scale powerfully.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @Jar said:
    I'm quite positive you're right. Zimbra starts out heavy, calms down, but then with heavy usage it begins scaling again in resource consumption. Sure you can run it on a $49 dedi just fine, but nothing like a single core KVM or an Atom. You can pull off low resource for single user usage but it really does scale powerfully.

Jar has spoken. Zimbra uses too much to be run on a small vps. Probably too resource heavy for someone who's asking on let for free solutions to a giant can of worms (free email hosting lol)

/kill zimbraidea

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • WHTWHT Member

Am looking for a free option. Paid is easy to find :)