Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Urgent Help - KVM / Solus VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Urgent Help - KVM / Solus VM

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited August 2015 in General

Hi,

I am trying to run KVM VPS. Slave has been installed. LVM setup, KVM Bridge setup. I downloaded template from TDN but somehow making machine from it - is showing can not find boot device, HDD is not bootable. Can someone help me troubleshoot it.

UPDATE 1 : Changing generation in template settings worked.
UPDATE 2 : I need help to check the network.

Thanks

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Did you make sure to set the correct partitions to resize in the template config?

• No, nothing like that, can u explain me please?

• @Awmusic12635, I was able to change generation of template and now its running. I am still not able to do the network setup.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

For future reference in case this gets on Google for "can not find boot device" on KVM: this usually occurs if (1) the LVM doesn't have enough space for your template to create or (2) you made the template incorrectly, which is what it turned out to be for you.

As for the network I'll need more information. However, it sounds like you need to properly set up the network bridge. Take a look here and make sure you do eth0/eth1 based on which one you have, and you name it br0/br1 accordingly. Make sure you have IPMI in case you screw it up and have to access the server so you don't lock yourself out. Sometimes you'll do this correctly and you still won't have network on the virtual server. This usually means the DHCP is not running properly.

In this case, run these commands:

killall dnsmasq

virsh net-autostart --disable default

service dhcpd start

Thanked by 1nbsir
  • @VirMach,

Yes I followed the same guide, br0 and eth0 are working properly.
    I also see virbr0. If I use realtek as network in settings in solusvm - I also see KVM101.0 kind of network interfaces.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

If you would've used virtualizor you'd be alive and kicking right now :/

darknessends said: Yes I followed the same guide, br0 and eth0 are working properly. I also see virbr0. If I use realtek as network in settings in solusvm - I also see KVM101.0 kind of network interfaces.

So what exactly is the issue? Can you view the VNC but then have no connectivity on the VPS? Is the VPS properly assigned an IP? Have you checked to see if DHCP is running?

/etc/init.d/dhcpd status

• @VirMach : I can view the VNC but no connectivity on VPS. VPS has been assigned static IP by solusvm itsself.

• DHCPD is stopped, starting it fails. Will i need dhcpd if solusvm is using static IP inside VPS?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You use paid Solus license? They have quite good support nowadays.

• Try

service dnsmasq start service dhcp start

• /etc/init.d/dnsmasq start
    dnsdomainname: Unknown host
    Starting dnsmasq:
    dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket: Address already in use
    [FAILED]

• @sdglhm : dnsmasq can not start.

• edited August 2015

try killall dnsmasq then

service dnsmasq start service dhcp start

• @sdglhm : rebooted VPS after it, network unreachable.

• That should probably start your dhcp server. Which more likely to solve network related error.

• @sdglhm : It did not solve the network problem

• Have you tried contacting solus. They have an awesome support team.

• what do you get for ifconfig -a?

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited August 2015

you have no IP block? dhcp will not be able to assign IP @darknessends

if you're using with NAT, internal IPs need to be assigned.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

BharatB said: If you would've used virtualizor you'd be alive and kicking right now :/

I hardly think you can blame solusvm because someone does not know how basic networking and bridges work.

however if you use virtualizor you could be up and running if it takes care of ineptitude for you but then you could end up like this:

@darknessends give us your full configs, node options screenshots, ip range from solusvm admin panel bridge info etc and perhaps we can help otherwise we are just going to play back and forth all night while you feed us info piece mail.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
    edited August 2015

darknessends said: I can view the VNC but no connectivity on VPS. VPS has been assigned static IP by solusvm itsself.

darknessends said: DHCPD is stopped, starting it fails.

VirMach said: killall dnsmasq

virsh net-autostart --disable default
    service dhcpd start

Have you tried what I originally suggested already? Do make sure you're running this on the dedicated server and NOT the VPS. Go on the VPS and check out what IP is exactly assigned and if that same IP is assigned to the VPS on SolusVM, with the correct configurations.

If DHCP still fails to start, check why.