Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burst Ram question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Burst Ram question

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hello, How usually is policy with burst ram?

E.g. 128/256. Does burst mean I can use burst as long as the node still have memory, for as long as I want? Or is it time limited? E.g. Few minutes?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

On my side - it usually is a fair usage (not 100% of the time), however to be honest - I do not monitor for this things, as the nodes have plenty of memory available.

• Burst RAM is meant to replace SWAP on CentOS 5. Now there is vSwap on CentOS 6 so it is not used anymore.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: On my side - it usually is a fair usage (not 100% of the time), however to be honest - I do not monitor for this things, as the nodes have plenty of memory available.

The reason is I when I am near a certain limit (e.g. my real usage is 110Mb), I just get 256/512 to be safe. Because I dont know what the host will do if I consume say 130 or 140mb for several days.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jcaleb said: The reason is I when I am near a certain limit (e.g. my real usage is 110Mb), I just get 256/512 to be safe. Because I dont know what the host will do if I consume say 130 or 140mb for several days.

Depends on the host :)

As I said, I usually do not care about that, however I myself have been suspended for overusage of VPS, so I just buyt he higher plan to be on the safe side.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Depends on the host :)

This is usually not mentioned on how a host will behave on overusage

• i think most provider turn a blind eye esp if you're on the small plan eg 128mb.

• Thank you @cosmicgate

usually i am on 110-120. just want to have confidence to use 128mb

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited November 2012

By right you should be able to allocate ALL the "burst ram" (privvmpages) any time all the time. If you have been suspended due to the reason of over-using it, either the provider does not understand how it works, or is purposely doing it to oversell.

EDIT:
    Found the old article from LEA - http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/why-i-dont-like-openvz-vps-plans-with-large-burstable-memory/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Some admins will suspend you, but this does not mean they are right, better ask them before and explain it is your right to use at least some burst.

• Well it is exactly as it's name describes, burst which means it's there when you need it but it is not to be used as apart of your total ram.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2012

There is no such thing as "burst" RAM. It's about memory allocation vs memory usage. My take on it... http://blite.ca/?t=13

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

But what is the norm in the industry? Do hosts usually monitors via script or something?

• @marcm said: so it is not used anymore.

It is

@jcaleb

OpenVZ is jailed processes, burst is what you can use when it's available.
    I have no idea what happens when everybody burst at the same time but I think it will either punch your VPS or the node will crash.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No, the node will use swap and then will start to kill processes.
    However, if that happens, it is already too slow to do anything, so, the host will have to do something about it.

• @24khost said: Well it is exactly as it's name describes, burst which means it's there when you need it but it is not to be used as apart of your total ram.

This is NOT what "burst ram" is. In fact OpenVZ team does not use the word/phrase "burst ram", it's simply a badly coined marketing term.

• @eLohkCalb said: This is NOT what "burst ram" is. In fact OpenVZ team does not use the word/phrase "burst ram", it's simply a badly coined marketing term.

So it means I can use whatever is there right?

• @jcaleb said: So it means I can use whatever is there right?

You can use whatever the user_beancounters settings allow.

• @sleddog said: You can use whatever the user_beancounters settings allow.

What is the command to check that? Will vzfree help?

• cat /proc/user_beancounters

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

@eLohkCalb you is miemie?