Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferred Currency?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preferred Currency?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited November 2012 in General

What are the common currencies around here? USD and EUR probably - yes/no, any others?

And as in what you prefer to pay a provider in and what would you wish they offered?

Comments

• I'm in the US and I prefer USD but don't mind dealing with EUR/GBP. Things like PayPal make it really easy to pay in different currencies.

• Also take CNY into consideration if you wanna take a piece of cake in Chinese market.

• USD

• I live in NZ, but my personal PayPal balance is in USD and I prefer everything is USD.

• @wdq said: Things like PayPal make it really easy to pay in different currencies.

There are issue like conversion rates and charges - that's probably 1 of the major problems.

We need to live with AUD, but only accept USD for the common currency. Wondering if this should or needs to be changed.

• USD or GBP (HUF if you don't mind wildly fluctuating currency!)

• USD..

• @SimpleNode said: I live in NZ, but my personal PayPal balance is in USD and I prefer everything is USD.

Same here, cept for I live in RU. Prefer USD everywhere I pay online because got used to it, can approximately convert to my native currency without calculator, and conversion rates are more predictable to me.

• RophRoph Member
    edited November 2012

I prefer USD because it's nice and weak vs GBP.

Still not as good as a few years ago where £1 would get you over $2, but it seems to be headed that way again.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There's two types of currency: American currency, and terrorist currency. I choose American.

In before some generic douchebag thinks I'm serious and gives me a lecture.

@Zen said: pay Chief

I tried but he doesn't accept skittles and buy one get one free chick-fil-a sandwich coupons.

@Zen Dangit... that's just not playing fair.

• Both USD and EUR are fine for me. EUR is easier because that's what we use here, but that's like the only advantage.

• We've now added EUR, GBP and AUD. Prefer AUD :). Anyhow looks like most people just use USD actually.

• USD is what I use.

If I were a provider today, I'd set my pricing in USD since it's the major reserve currency (still).

Can't tell you how many times I've bought a VPS from foreign seller or in Burst.net's example, from a US company, but services in UK and then at pay time what was a fixed price, becomes way more. (i.e. $5.95/month VPS becomes $7+).

If you advertise in USD then checkout ends up with conversions and costing more, you are going to have less buyers and more billing issues.

• USD, even though I'm in the UK.

• USD makes things seem so cheap!

• I NEED to use Euro's, or I'll have to pay tax when currency changes afterwards LOL

• DOP or USD

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited November 2012

@birdie25 said: USD makes things seem so cheap!

If you live in the USA, and earn money in GBP you'll have like 2 times more to spend irl :)

• USD

• zimbabwe

• I prefer gold and silver! I'm betting @WilliamEDIS would go for guns and ammo

• USD, for GBP people and EUR people it looks so cheap!

• GBP / USD

• For Europe it is EUR.

• GBP or USD but hate dealing in euros.

• EUR.
    USD is nearly dead, the future is EUR.

• @William, USD dead? Yeah it's stumbling.

If the USD goes, all world currencies will go nearly at the same time.

Fundamental money based in tangible wealth backing (i.e. gold, silver, etc.) is the honest thing. United States dollars were backed by such up until the early 1970's.

Lots of talk now about backing money with fundamentals instead of the hope and belief backing most currencies are exchanging in today :)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2012

USD

+1 to the comment below (also hidden bank fees can occur due to "foreign transaction" ... yes, even if done via Paypal)

@pubcrawler said: USD is what I use.

If I were a provider today, I'd set my pricing in USD since it's the major reserve currency (still).

Can't tell you how many times I've bought a VPS from foreign seller or in Burst.net's example, from a US company, but services in UK and then at pay time what was a fixed price, becomes way more. (i.e. $5.95/month VPS becomes $7+).

If you advertise in USD then checkout ends up with conversions and costing more, you are going to have less buyers and more billing issues.