Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I came across the top 10 list on the Spamhaus website today and was shocked with what I saw:

1 softlayer.com Number of Current Known Spam Issues: 221

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/softlayer.com

2 enzu.com Number of Current Known Spam Issues: 98

That's a lot of listings no doubt. Spamhaus is making waves for sure..

Comments

• How do those listings work? Do they add the /32s before or after contacting the CC abuse department?

• I think CC is actually making genuine efforts to get themselves off spamhaus and cleanse their former reputation of being a "spam-friendly" provider.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • they could add /24 or /22 and write you abuse. you should stay in touch with them

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

gsrdgrdghd said: How do those listings work? Do they add the /32s before or after contacting the CC abuse department?

Spamhaus never contacts the abuse department.

Thanked by 3netomx Pwner dediserve

GIANT_CRAB said: I think CC is actually making genuine efforts to get themselves off spamhaus and cleanse their former reputation of being a "spam-friendly" provider.

Thanks! :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbiloh said: Spamhaus never contacts the abuse department.

Lol, they should at least contact providers before blacklisting them. In that case I guess congratz on having pretty much only /32s listings from the last couple of days. What's up with the /15 from 2014 though?

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    I think CC is actually making genuine efforts to get themselves off spamhaus and cleanse their former reputation of being a "spam-friendly" provider.

Dowt it. They have 8 listed now…

27 May 2015 they had 4: http://archive.is/mAwse

22 May 2015 they had 7: http://archive.is/DwxQA

14 May 2015 they had 9: http://archive.is/OsWdO

• jhjh Member
    edited August 2015

@jbiloh Spamhaus can be a nuisance for anyone but since I blocked a lot of your IP assignments on our firewall, contact form and email spam has noticeably reduced. 107.173.0.0/16, 172.245.0.0/16 and 192.3.0.0/16 are particular nuisances, probably worth looking into (half joking).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:
    Spamhaus never contacts the abuse department.

On a rare occasion when our IPs get listed over there (and despite you do an individual inetnum for a Customer using a single IP they will blacklist say /29...) we always get an email with at least the notification. It's when the listing is already live though.

• Licensecart said: Dowt it.

If you're too lazy to type 'ub' and type a 'w' instead, you have issues.

Licensecart said: Dowt it. They have 8 listed now…

27 May 2015 they had 4: http://archive.is/mAwse

22 May 2015 they had 7: http://archive.is/DwxQA

14 May 2015 they had 9: http://archive.is/OsWdO

What you have to pay attention to is the amount of IPs listed, not the amount of listings. Back in May most of our listings were escalations. Now that is not the case because we've had the spam filter installed for about 2 months now.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

So what are they saying, why do you still have listings with email filtering enabled?

I have had generally good experience with them, generally. My local EU LIR had a /16 listed, which also affected some of my ranges, 48 hours after we started talking with them (mostly my LIR, with me CCed), the listing of the whole range was removed.

• @mpkossen said:
    If you're too lazy to type 'ub' and type a 'w' instead, you have issues.

I take it you don't understand British slang… let's say it in American English for you then, I doubt it. Better?

• I had IP renumbering forced apon me on just last week. the response was

Your IP was nullrouted because your IP was in an IP block used for spamming. We are working to get the spam issue resolved and we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

clearly SPAM is still an issue at CC. hopefully on the decline still

• @Licensecart said:
    I take it you don't understand British slang… let's say it in American English for you then, I doubt it. Better?

It's not about what I understand or not; it's about how professional you appear.

Using slang while representing your business means you don't understand business.

• Licensecart said: I take it you don't understand British slang

bullocks!

• Thanks for reminding me to remove spamhaus from my mail servers.

Thanked by 1Netxons
  • Regardless of whether you're now making efforts to clean up your own act or not.. you've got to be out of your fucking mind if you think you're in any sort of position to be tossing furniture at others.

• i get to much spam on my computer

how do i use spamhause to make it stop, do i need to sign up?

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited August 2015

Softlayer actively cooperates with spamhaus for spam operations, a lot of spam services disguised as "email marketing" services are hosted by softlayer.

If you ask softlayer about spamhaus they will dodge the question until they are obliged to admit a cooperation, if you ask to remove spamhaus, softlayer will make absolutely ridiculous answers such as "doing this would make irrecoverable damages to our network". If you ask further details they simply stop answering.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

jbiloh said: Spamhaus never contacts the abuse department.

While i don't like Spamhaus:

Bullshit, and you know that very well. Spamhaus sends mails to the abuse-c as with the RIR where the IPs are from (so either the customer or the DC) and, if known, also to the ASNs abuse contact - Before escalation they always send it to the ASN as well and on escalation often to the upstreams.

Source: I manage a LOT of ASNs and IP space (mainly v6) and never had anything listed, either from my space or from my workplace/DC, without receiving at least one mail before or at the time of listing.

This thread is also some kind of ironic statement from you/CC, considering you'd never posted this when you were still in the top 5.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Licensecart said: I take it you don't understand British slang… let's say it in American English for you then, I doubt it. Better?

Nice try. :)

dowt, noun (Scottish) a cigarette butt

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited August 2015

@William can you please stop using "Bullshit" word everywhere? You think that you're too proffessional to know everything!

It's possible that spamhaus doesn't send any notifications since there are unresolved issues with velosity servers and sending notification will not solve issue but rather inform cyber criminals to move on.

• British slang

Let's keep calm and smoke some fags.

Thanked by 24n0nx k0nsl
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

alexvolk said: @William can you please stop using "Bullshit" word everywhere? You think that you're too proffessional to know everything!

No. why? I won't. Not my problem what you think, if you don't like it the logout button is on top right dropdown.

alexvolk said: It's possible that spamhaus doesn't send any notifications since there are unresolved issues with velosity servers and sending notification will not solve issue but rather inform cyber criminals to move on.

No, Spamhaus also sends notifications if the ISP is clearly criminal run (like one of my former workplaces) and they know that, this mails are fully automated - Even Cyberbunker got them.

Thanked by 3alexvolk NeoXiD Pwner
  • Which of your former workplaces was run by criminals?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

Not going to post that in public, you are welcome to pm me for it - The owner was later convicted for wire fraud and phishing, plus acquited of spamming.

Thanked by 3Amitz alexvolk Pwner
  • I just wanted to know whether it might have been Edis, but obviously not.

• No, EDIS is a very legit company :)

Thanked by 3Amitz netomx Pwner