Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you like fully managed KVM with 1GB RAM, 10GB SSD, 500GB Traffic @ $7/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How would you like fully managed KVM with 1GB RAM, 10GB SSD, 500GB Traffic @ $7/month

serverianserverian Member
edited November 2012 in General

Disclaimer: This is a market research topic.

I'm wondering if there would be a market for the following:

1GB RAM
10GB SSD
500GB Traffic
1Gbps Uplink with awesome connectivity (90-100MB/sec from Cachefly)
KVM with custom control panel where you can install any ISO you want.
Fully Managed with or without a control panel
Price: $7/month

Would the management service affect your decision?

Comments

• Sign me up; don't need a CP, or Management.

• @serverian said: Fully Managed

What does this entail?

• @Damian said: What does this entail?

• The provider proactively monitors the VPS
    • The provider solves the issues
    • The provider installs the scripts
  • For 7$? You have a lot of Indian working for you.

• Will you install lighttpd with fastcgi, compile PHP5 to be as lightweight and fast as possible, mysql with phpmyadmin, and then install and tune Simplemachines?

• @Damian said: Will you install lighttpd with fastcgi, compile PHP5 to be as lightweight and fast as possible, mysql with phpmyadmin, and then install and tune Simplemachines?

Yes.

• Would it be done within 24 hours of the request?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Damian said: Will you install lighttpd with fastcgi, compile PHP5 to be as lightweight and fast as possible, mysql with phpmyadmin, and then install and tune Simplemachines?

And he'll leave a mint on the pillow when he's done. Oktay is a beast.

• @Damian said: Would it be done within 24 hours of the request?

Should be :)

• I would like it then.

• @jarland said: And he'll leave a mint on the pillow when he's done. Oktay is a beast.

And some chocolate.

• @serverian

I might grab this to save myself time and to replace my currently shared webhosting because I don't have time to maintain a VPS for websites.
    Also love KVM :)

• @Damian said: I would like it then.

What if it would be unmanaged?

• @BronzeByte said: I might grab this to save myself time and to replace my currently shared webhosting because I don't have time to maintain a VPS for websites.

Also love KVM :)

Still interested if it would be a unmanaged service?

• I would prefer it to be unmanaged.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Why $7 when you could sell that for considerably more and with high demand? How would that even be sustainable for 24/7 proactive monitoring at that price point? Mind boggling

• @serverian

No, I would want it to be managed as I have a lack of time to do it myself.
    For all my unmanaged VPS'es I go with NodeDeploy, love their KVM deals. ($5 for a GB in USA, $7 for 2GB in UK <-- LOVELY)

• These 10GB of storage plan make me, wonder who uses what for what. No, I wouldn't be interested. Smallest I touch on drives is 30GB and that better be some special place or a provider I really like.

• @pubcrawler said: These 10GB of storage plan make me, wonder who uses what for what. No, I wouldn't be interested. Smallest I touch on drives is 30GB and that better be some special place or a provider I really like.

Yes, that's why I asked. 10GB wouldn't be enough.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

Me personally would prefer unmanaged if I'm going without a control panel, as I'm somewhat picky in the manner that it's configured initially. But I think for $7 people may actually jump at the availability of managed support if they get stuck in a rut.

However simple economics makes me skeptical that there has to be a trade-off of some kind to make that pricing work. IF it were for promotional purposes, I could see selling temporarily at a loss to gain feedback/publicity may work out in the long run, but if the pricing for that list is normal everyday pricing I'd be somewhat weary.

That being said, for what you're offering, even if you removed "fully managed", or even went with partial-managed, I think people in general would respond positively to that price point and offering.

Edit: 10GB is plenty if you're just doing a few websites, primarily without a control panel. Especially if said 10GB has high access speeds. If you're instead trying to run a windows server off that then... maybe not.

• @Nick_A said: Why $7 when you could sell that for considerably more and with high demand?

I'm not sure about the demand since @pubcrawler pointed, the space is may be small.

@Nick_A said: How would that even be sustainable for 24/7 proactive monitoring at that price point? Mind boggling

Yeah, it doesn't look profitable much with the monitoring and management but still doable.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Do it, I will buy one, just for the price :D

• serverianserverian Member
    edited November 2012

@kbeezie said: That being said, for what you're offering, even if you removed "fully managed", or even went with partial-managed, I think people in general would respond positively to that price point and offering.

Can you define partial-managed?

@kbeezie said: Edit: 10GB is plenty if you're just doing a few websites, primarily without a control panel. Especially if said 10GB has high access speeds. If you're instead trying to run a windows server off that then... maybe not.

Windows 2003 would be fine I think.

• @serverian as you know, I like KVM, unmanaged and decent disk space (loved the ssd/hdd mix but ssd cached with 50GB disk is good middle ground). Which part of the world?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@serverian said: Fully Managed with or without a control panel

what for $7 a month you offer also cPanel license?

• @WebProject said: what for $7 a month you offer also cPanel license?

That means the management will be included even you don't use a control panel with the server.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited November 2012

@craigb said: @serverian as you know, I like KVM, unmanaged and decent disk space (loved the ssd/hdd mix but ssd cached with 50GB disk is good middle ground). Which part of the world?

So you would prefer SSD Cached 50GB over 10GB Pure SSD?

It'll be in Dallas, TX.

Planning to offer HDD space over NAS, as well.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@serverian said: It'll be in Dallas, TX.

@serverian - Is it going to be on LSN (LimeStone Networks, the folks who sent LET/LEB the DMCA take-down notice)?

• @serverian said: Fully Managed

Price: $7/month

This could be killer deal. Maybe not so much for tech savvy people here but generally speaking yes. I hope just that it won't kill you too :)

• @serverian by partial manage I mainly mean stuff like answering general tickets to go in, restart services, or configure 'supported' pre-installed software etc. basically not a full suite but more of a "we'll do the following, within the realm of these supported software and version".