Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC

polm23polm23 Member
edited November 2011 in General

Howdy; I'm new to this, and forgive my ignorance, but why do so many of these services forbid IRC? Is it due to illegitimate filesharing use or does something about having an IRC client running actually tax the servers?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

They attract unwanted attention. All of our "ugly" traffic has been due to IRC for one reason or another.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Most of them forbid IRC because their datacenter forbids it. In general, the reasoning is usually something along the lines of "anything IRC-related is automatically a DOS target and gets 10Tb/s attacks thrown at it within seconds of going online".

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

File serving never actually happens 'by' the server, all transfers are done over direct connections between two users. I think content owners stopped DMCAing IRC servers because there's really no point, they'd be better off simply ticketing to the bot hosts themselves than trying anything else.

As for the reason, it's because the vast majority of hosts don't have an affective way to monitor DDOS attacks nor do they know what to really look for. There's lots of reports/cases of whole racks/DC's going down because the host really doesn't have a clue what to look for.

Francisco

• shrug

Just shows that maybe we need a search function to search all three sites.

Maybe the search at the top needs to be replaced with a Google custom search set to search all three sub domains.

• We could write a custom search in TCL and put it on an eggdrop...

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited November 2011

edit: nevermind

• Why do clients on IRC attract DDoS? Is it to nuke them off the net and take over their nickname/channels? If so why don't they use +x?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Why do clients on IRC attract DDoS?

Primary 'hangouts' for skiddie groups. And what better way to prove that your group has the biggest dick than launching a DDoS attack against another group's server?

Immaturity is all it boils down to.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think all of our DDoS attacks were the result of our clients flooding/spamming IRC channels (at least based on what their VPS logs show). But you know what they say about a few bad apples...

• As BuyVM allows IRC, didn't you have any problems yep Fran?

• We make it very clear that problems == eviction. To be honest, we've had far more problems with people giving us fraudulent information than we've had with the few IRC communities we host (including our own).

• fraudulent information is not a problem per se though, it's a problem if there is a problem ;)

• No, it's a problem, period :P False information == no service, I allow no exceptions to this rule.

• yep but then you'd have to ask an ID to be sure, and even then...

:-)