Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter and IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter and IPv6

I may appear as a complete noob here but let me ask this.
I see delimiter offers only one IP with their servers and the price of additional IPs is a little out of my budget. Now they do have IPv6? right? and it is free ? right?
So can the IPv6 be used in place of ipv4? I am planning to host three VMs on one server and one of them will be used for whmcs, another for cpanel and another for my personal VPN so I will need atleast 6 IPs. If I buy IPV4s with them the cost will go up.
So my question is is it possible to use IPv6 for all this?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

IPv6 and IPv4 aren't routable between each other. If you use IPv6 only than only IPv6 enabled computers will be able to connect. At this point in time we are in dual stack era where you should have both v4 and v6 enabled for all your services.

Thanked by 1stallion
  • IPs with delimiter are only $1 each not that bad

Thanked by 2Clouvider stallion
  • stallion said: So my question is is it possible to use IPv6 for all this?

In an ideal world yes. However what would work is having an IPv6 only container for WHMCS, then using Cloudflare to provide IPv4 access through their proxy.

For the VPN you can use NAT with the main server IP in a separate container, and for cPanel you should also be able to get away with NAT (cPanel supports this quite well).

Thanked by 1stallion
  • SadySady Member

First off why do you need 6 IPs for 3 containers?
    Host your nameserver on same IP for cPanel, use cloudflare for whmcs, an ip for VPN & 4th IP for main node. So you need 4IPs or /29

• Yeah, it works, I've done IPv6 only VM's on my Delimiter dedi...

Protip... familiarise yourself with proxying neighbour discovery requests, https://www.ipsidixit.net/2010/03/24/239/