Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS

DeanDean Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hi everyone, anyone here have a VPS on NY14 that's still up? I've got two DNS servers that have been down for over a day and they've not responded to tickets.

NY14 has been all over the place recently.

Comments

• The last time I used their service is 11 months ago.
    Damn slow support and unstable network.
    good luck bro.

• I used one before I worked for BlueVM. So this is just personal experience, not bashing another host. SSH = laggy, Support = never respond, Uptime = extremely bad, one of the worst networks ever. Will never buy from them again.

• @Ishaq said: I used one before I worked for BlueVM. So this is just personal experience, not bashing another host. SSH = laggy, Support = never respond, Uptime = extremely bad, one of the worst networks ever. Will never buy from them again.

I can confirm this, and I shutdown my service it was so bad. Server was going down daily, if not every couple of hours.

• I had a couple of yearly plans, they seemed to reboot reasonably frequently so I cancelled them after about 6 months, although to be fair to AVPS I never bothered raising a ticket about the issues because I barely used them.

• Ok, well i've decided it's best to part company with them over a period of time. Just moving two DNS VPSes away from them now (the two that are down). That leaves 5 there.

• Its a gamble with this company. I had terrible service in New York, and decent service in Las Vegas.

In fact, the Las Vegas vps I pay them $12/yr for is doing great. Most likely wont be renewing it when the year is up though.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Always had a terrible experience with them, the support is non-existent.

• Yeah..

I get e-mails everyday about my VPS with them going down and then back up and then back down and then back up and then back down and then back up and then.... I think you get the drill.

Anyways, they're an unreliable host.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

This is that host that was started by that web designer who's in highschool correct?

jtam?

• @24khost yes the one that got temp banned from WHT for using staff members from other companies of his to write reviews on his hosting company.

AlienVPS was sold to WebRulon though when jTam got bored and needed some money. Shortly afterwards he started a new host, that failed so he closed it down. Now he has started up another one, pretty much a flop too and he used his paid staff to post reviews which got him temp banned.

• AlienV--

rotflawlersauce

worst vps hosting ever.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

I have one with the DDoS filtering thingie.

Network uptime is alright - occasional network blips causing my server to split off, but they usually don't last long (a matter of seconds). Not a super-stable network though. Haven't really seen any serious outages. Server uptime is alright, currently around 60 days. Speed is mediocre (not so slow that it's frustrating, but not exactly fast either). DDoS mitigation works fairly well, and definitely nice for the price I'm paying. Support typically takes a day or 3 to get back to me.

Basically, if you need cheap DDoS mitigation and need it at more than one host (for example, when you already have something at BuyVM), then AlienVPS could be an okay choice. If you don't need DDoS mitigation, though, I'd have a look at any of the other hosts offering a better service for less money.

In case anyone was looking for more in-depth info about their service :)

EDIT: For what it's worth, for my purposes (an IRC leaf) it's good enough to keep paying them every month :P

• What the F***?

We ought to age ID providers and make them prove they old enough be legally liable. It is Just insanity, what goes on in this industry. I wouldn't go to an accounting company that was ran by high school children. Nor would I do any sort of other business with said minors.

Talk about false advertising. Next go round for this fellow should be more honest like:
    highschoolvps.com

or

youngpunkvps.com

or

13yearoldceo.com

• Isn't webrulon the web design company run/owned by jTam?

• Webrulon = Russell Winslow

• alienvps

downtime

mfw

• @pubcrawler said: We ought to age ID providers and make them prove they old enough be legally liable. It is Just insanity, what goes on in this industry. I wouldn't go to an accounting company that was ran by high school children. Nor would I do any sort of other business with said minors.

We should before they should be able to list. Having said that, that's why we have an ABN (Australian Business Number - not Dutch bank) and other details listed.

Nothing against them, but I would worry about going with "companies" that don't have legal registrations and all sorts of things.

• @LV_Matt said: Now he has started up another one,

I am curious what is the another one.

• I ordered a Yearly $19/Year VPS with them last December of 2011 and believe it or not, the VPS is still online and rarely has any downtime. Actually, it's one of the more stable VPS's I own at the moment. I've never opened a ticket with them as I've never needed support for anything.

• @Jeffrey said: the VPS is still online and rarely has any downtime.

this VPS comes from Alien

• @dannyalex Yep, Node: ny5 in New York.

• @Jeffrey: How do you monitor that VPS?

UptimeRobot sends me a ton of e-mails everyday with that specific VPS.

• @heafeatenpie well, I don't monitor the network uptime, just the system uptime via SSH. xD

• @Jeffrey said: the VPS is still online and rarely has any downtime.

I know this strange feeling because I get it too. ny1 die very very rare. However when it does, lets say every half year there's almost no way to get in touch with host to check what's about.
    So VPS actually isn't that bad, once It had around 160 days of uptime if I remember correct however when it die it can be down week or so and no one will respond to support ticket.

• @Jeffrey said: @heafeatenpie well, I don't monitor the network uptime, just the system uptime via SSH. xD

Yeah their servers are stable, their network is not.

• My VPS was going down weekly, I opened a ticket asking to switch to a non-vswap node, and they responded 40 days later...

• @Kairus said: My VPS was going down weekly, I opened a ticket asking to switch to a non-vswap node, and they responded 40 days later...

Let's imagine together,your ticket need to be transported to the Alien.
    takes too long to delivered.

• I have a server with AlienVPS, uptime at the moment is 63 days.

The only problem I have with them is routing issues from home IP. I actually have to proxy SFTP through a different host to download backups.

• Anyone able to PM me the IP addresses of any of their nodes (main node IP preferable)? I'd like to monitor via our uptime script to get a picture of what's going on.

• New York City Alien Datacenter
    Test IP: 173.208.58.101
    Test File: 173.208.58.101/test.bin

Las Vegas Alien Datacenter
    Test IP: 208.93.153.101
    Test File: 208.93.153.101/test.bin