Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with the Reddit script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any experience with the Reddit script?

Has anyone used the Reddit script in their own environment before?
https://github.com/reddit/reddit

Is it an exact copy of the software they use on the main site (sans the content of course)? I'd be really interested in looking at the "backstage" functions they have to manage a site of that size! Is it worth getting a VPS to set it up on and play or are the interesting parts of it going to have been removed for the public source version to prevent people knowing the admins secrets!

I still think its really cool that such a big site openly shares its source code, I find the workings of these huge sites really interesting!

Comments

• rzlosty said: Is it worth getting a VPS to set it up on and play or are the interesting parts of it going to have been removed for the public source version to prevent people knowing the admins secrets!

The only way to find out is by playing with it. But I am sure someone is running a demo version of it designed for playing with, so it might save you the $15/yr or whatever nominal amount it is for the VPS :)

• rzlosty said: I still think its really cool that such a big site openly shares its source code

No competitor is going to have much use from it and it means free security audits.

• HostMyBytes said: But I am sure someone is running a demo version of it designed for playing with, so it might save you the $15/yr or whatever nominal amount it is for the VPS :)

Very true. I'm having a bit of trouble Googling for a demo, I did try that but it brings a ton of results from reddit posts. Trouble is, I dont want to exclude reddit.com from my search because Reddit may host one! I'll give it another shot :)

• rzlosty said: Very true. I'm having a bit of trouble Googling for a demo, I did try that but it brings a ton of results from reddit posts. Trouble is, I dont want to exclude reddit.com from my search because Reddit may host one! I'll give it another shot :)

Taken from their own subreddit: "Join us on IRC: #reddit-dev on irc.freenode.net (see also: a log of previous conversations)"

Ask there. It's likely that they would know it or perhaps they have hidden it from search engines. Good luck with your quest!

• HostMyBytes said: Ask there. It's likely that they would know it or perhaps they have hidden it from search engines. Good luck with your quest!

Good plan! Cheers!

Hmm yeah, I guess that pretty much answers my other question too! Thanks.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

rzlosty said: Is it an exact copy of the software they use on the main site

No. The voting/ranking algorithm is different, to prevent people from gaming it by reading the source. Not sure about the rest.

• joepie91 said: No. The voting/ranking algorithm is different, to prevent people from gaming it by reading the source. Not sure about the rest.

Ah of course, hadn't thought about that! I'm assuming that the voting system in the source will still work, it just doesn't weight the votes like on the Reddit website.

I'm quite surprised other people haven't taken the source and made clone sites. I know Voat is similar but they use their own code by the looks of things (which is also OS so thats cool).