Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudCoreRouter is Out. 12G 625, 12G 4SPF 995. 36million PPS@64b
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudCoreRouter is Out. 12G 625, 12G 4SPF 995. 36million PPS@64b

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited November 2012 in General

Saw it in the latest mikrotik newsletter.

http://download2.mikrotik.com/news-42.pdf

Comments

• I still think Ubuquity has a sexier offering with Edgemax, but they refuse to let on about the carrier editions.

• "Pre-production samples for evaluation purposes will be available from Distributors, starting December 2012. Place your order for test units with your Distributor now! "

How is it out?

• How much is it!? I waited ~10 minutes for the PDF to download and it never appeared.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited November 2012

Something like 600-1000$. There are 3 different versions in the PDF, i don't know which one Corey is refering to.

CCR1036-12G-4S

• 36 cores x 1.2GHz
    • 1U rackmount
    • 4GB RAM
    • Four SFP ports
    • 24 million pps
    • 16 Gbps

= 1000$

• Yeah the 4 SFP version is 995

• That's cheap.

• Anyone used RouterOS?

• Could hold some nice DDoS floods :3

• I have it's fairly easy to use, a lot of features in it. I had 3 years uptime on one box for my fiber internet in Dallas, never had a hiccup.

• Generally speaking, RouterOS is pretty stable if you're not doing anything exotic. We've had a few RouterOS boxes running heavy traffic for years with no hiccups.

That being said, the "new releases" are generally something to be suspect of. We're mostly still on 4.x where we have it running. The mantra for RouterOS is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Do not upgrade unless you have a damn good reason to do so.

My question about the CC is where those PPS numbers come from? At what packet sizes and port distribution? Mikrotik's numbers tend to be a little shady, if you will.

I will say this, their bandwidth shaping/policing is second-to-none, that is what we use it for.

• @BronzeByte said: Could hold some nice DDoS floods :3

My thoughts exactly. Tempted to look into one of these things.

• @Damian said: I waited ~10 minutes for the PDF to download and it never appeared.

Same.

• You can get it for $895

• So far have asked 5 distributors, only 1 has responded and they wont be doing demo units. So will keep asking.

• Available for order, "maybe" shipping the 1st week of dec.

RouterOS cli sucks ass, but it works. Microtik have proven themselves on the wireless side of things, it'll be interesting to see if they can make the jump. IMHO this thing would need a couple 10ge interfaces to be really useful.

• Only downside is support, but RouterOS has been solid for me on x86 for years. They have tons of experience in non wireless routers as well for wireless carriers.