Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest a Cable Router!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest a Cable Router!

eastoncheastonch Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hey guys,

I'm in the lovely UK and I'm with TalkTalk's Fiber optics; "FTTC".

My problem being, this piece of shit they gave me for a router... Sucks. Can't add port ranges to forward, other stupid things, I'd prefer my own, but nobody from their side gave me a conclusive answer.

Basically, question.

Do I need a cable router to use my internet? They're telling me yes; but basically; I have a "booster" box. Where everything goes into, it's an "Openreach" box that somewhat, turns a standard phone line cable, into a ethernet cable and is plugged then into the router's first eth port. From that, I have my reign.

After some research.. It looks like the "openreach" box is a Fiber Modem; that's going to affect everything right? Like; I'm looking to get a DD-WRT router; but how would I then hook everything up? Just simply take out the Modem between the router and the net? And just have the router sitting there?

Bit of a blanked mind spot, a bit of assistance please :)!

Comments

• edited November 2012

You'll have an openreach fibre modem and the talktalk router which is made by Huawei. The Huawei is not that great.

You have two options. Simply the replacing Huawei with a router (often retailed as cable router) or a solution to replace both the modem and router. For the latter option as you have FTTC you will need a VDSL2 modem/router

• There is little (read: none) need to replace the media converter + modem (That being your Openreach box), just get whatever router your heart desires and hook it up.

The Asus RTN66u is a decent buy, in my opinion - albeit costly.

• @Wintereise said: There is little (read: none) need to replace the media converter + modem (That being your Openreach box), just get whatever router your heart desires and hook it up.

The Asus RTN66u is a decent buy, in my opinion - albeit costly.

Agreed. The market for VDSL2 modem/routers is pretty poor compared to what is on offer int he standard router market.

• From what I can see, just go buy yourself a nice "standard" router.

• @Shardhost -- I can get a VDSL2 modem/router combo?

What price are we looking at? I was looking at something that support DD-WRT for some more personal confuckering.

• Ubiquity Edgemax :)