Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest cheapset shortest domain name to book
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest cheapset shortest domain name to book

Hi all,

we are launching a web app as a service to some subscribed members, for which I want a cheapset shortest domain name... like .ly .it or anything with 2 letter TLD and a (possibly) 3 letter domain name.

What will be the Cheapest registrar and which TLD ?

The domain name doesn't need to be SEO friendly, infact I'd like to cut all access to it from any bots/crawlers at all (Pls do suggest measures)

Thanks.

Comments

• Thanks... but the prices seem to be on higher side. Didn't know the shorter TLDs are a premium.
    Any cheaper alternatives ?

• Freenom has .ml .ga .cf .gq, and it's easy to find really short ones. I have several names from them which I have renewed successfully, but I'd be reluctant to trust them if it was important to keep the name.

Of course less used TLDs are more likely to have short names available. To that end, I prefer .pw Check that one with your favourite registrar.

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited August 2015

Some one here posted that .info domain can be registered for 10 years for something like $8. If you can find that offer, register a 3 letter .info domain. Plenty of 3 letter .info domains available.

Edit: Here but seems like it is over now. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/40905/good-news-10-years-info-domain-only-8

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Try .yt if you are European or have European friends.

• ayt.us,baf.me,bdh.me,bdw.me,bkx.me,blx.me,buh.me,bve.me,bzo.me ...
    http://www.domainnamesoup.com/3letterdomainnames.php

• Don't use freenom, they take your domain if you get "too many" hits. Finding the right domain ending is not easy. .cx can sound like sex, .nu means "now" in some languages. If you got a .is domain people may now look at you in a weird way thanks to islamic state. Some endings like .yt just don't sound good in pretty much any language. .cc is associated as scam by many, not sure why.

TL;DR: how about .io? :)

• Thanks for all the inputs... much appreciate!

The domain is NOT important as the web app will be used in close private bounds of a company's employees. No public facing services to be hosted there, nor any confidential information.

• .eu is usually pretty cheap

• Dot ovh is cheap and may still have lots of shorties available.

• 4n0nx said: Don't use freenom, they take your domain if you get "too many" hits.

I read that all over the place. Although I would believe it, I have yet to see someone of character offer proof. It's just something that's repeated because it's said all over the place. What is your personal experience with that @4n0nx? And why should I believe it?

• Ole_Juul said: What is your personal experience with that @4n0nx? And why should I believe it?

They took one of my .tk domains after it was mentioned in a very large forum :( No notification, nothing. It was removed from my account and I could not re-register it.

My other .tk domain with about 50-100 hits per day was fine for 2 years until they suddenly required my email address to be reconfirmed and the confirmation email never arrived. Support did not respond... :| (support also never responded to why my .tk domain was removed from my account)

I still use their free domains for spam addresses (catchall -> infinite amount of addresses) and register a new one every year, but would never use them for anything that is dear to me. I guess I don't need you to believe it, I just feel that it would be a strange story to make up.. :D

• @4n0nx Thanks for a thorough answer. No, you don't need me to believe you, but yes, I do. :) It's just that I've seen this posted by whiny people with no believable experience along with them having forgotten to renew etc.

I've spent some time trying to find out about the company, and the little I can find doesn't look good. That said, it may be the company has made some missteps due to some stupid people being hired and that the situation will eventually turn around. However, them having recently gotten suspended by ICANN doesn't look hopeful.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @Ole_Juul oh yeah I read that ICANN thing... "cybersquatting". Makes them seem even less trustable :(

https://domainnamewire.com/2015/07/23/domain-name-registrars-suspension-stayed-after-it-files-for-arbitration/

• @Ole_Juul I also wonder how they would know that I received a lot of hits. Maybe their DNS servers registered the spike in visitors..?

• 4n0nx said: @Ole_Juul I also wonder how they would know that I received a lot of hits. Maybe their DNS servers registered the spike in visitors..?

Perhaps DNS. Interestingly, my first post on this forum was related to that. Unfortunately I was mixed up about what was happening and couldn't explain myself well, so didn't get useful answers. What happens is that when you first register a domain with them, you end up having weird code intercepting your site. I like to clean stuff up, so the evidence disappeared inadvertently, but I did note that it happened a second time as well. Perhaps it's a cookie? I cleared all my Freenom cookies.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • asfasf Member

.im around 5EUR @ domainmonster

.be .es .it .eu .fr(.pm,.yt,.tf,.wf) around 5-6EUR @ bookmyname

.tw .li 15-17EUR @ bookmyname

.lu 19EUR @ bookmyname

• NomadNomad Member
    edited August 2015

transip.nl you can register .nl for 0.99€

Thanked by 1asf
  • Nomad said: transip.nl you can register .nl for 0.99€

The site says that the fee applies to the first year , then € 7.49 per year. Also, if I read it right (I'm not Dutch) it says it requires local presence. I know that to not be true. I have several .nl domains, but the problem I have is that I can't pay ahead and need to renew every year. I can live with that though.

• .pw will cost u 0.30$ only

• mshmshvalley said: .pw will cost u 0.30$ only

Where? And how far can you pay ahead?

• @Ole_Juul said:

Err, I don't know Dutch myself either. I couldn't say what the price was after the first year either. (: My friend told me about the site, the rest was language barrier.

• Nomad said: Err, I don't know Dutch myself either. I couldn't say what the price was after the first year either. (: My friend told me about the site, the rest was language barrier.

They claim to be the biggest .nl registrar. Actually they look good. There's no free lunch, and an introductory price is OK in my books.

Thanked by 14n0nx