Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a dedi for some personal stuff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a dedi for some personal stuff

mike1smike1s Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

I need an affordable dedi for a couple VMs that me and some friends use. (couple small game servers and a cPanel VM).

Specs needed:

4x 1tb HDD (can also look at other options)

16gb of RAM

13 CLEAN IPs.

I'm looking for a US location, and trying to spend under 50 a month. I'm fine with pretty much any quad core CPU, provided its Intel (don't like AMD). I can install the OS myself via KVM.

Comments

• Do you want a RAID controller with that?

• mike1smike1s Member

Would be nice, but software raid is also fine, thanks for reminding me :)

• ColoCrossing

• I'm not in the hosting industry so I won't offer you nothing but my question is why so many ips?

• mike1smike1s Member

@inthecloudblog said:
    I'm not in the hosting industry so I won't offer you nothing but my question is why so many ips?

Hypervisor - 1 IP

cPanel - 1 IP

Each gameserver has 1 IP and there's going to be 4.

I only actually need 6 IPs, but no provider gives out 6 IPs as it would be improperly subnetted.

• BradBrad Member
    edited July 2015

MikeSpears said: 4x 1tb HDD (can also look at other options)

16gb of RAM
    13 CLEAN IPs.

$50/mo? Let me know if you find anyone decent willing to do this.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2015

Dacentec will have something

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

and a /28 is $10.50 a month

If it's for gameservers the SAS drives will probably be the best bet (since they don't seem to have SSDs).

Dell F1D 2x5140 with 16GB, 4x146GB SAS, hardware raid @ 30/mo + 10/m IPs

RTO too so you get to keep the server eventually I think

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited July 2015

@hostnoob said:
    Dacentec will have something

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

and a /28 is $10.50 a month

If it's for gameservers the SAS drives will probably be the best bet (since they don't seem to have SSDs).

Dell F1D 2x5140 with 16GB, 4x146GB SAS, hardware raid @ 30/mo + 10/m IPs

RTO too so you get to keep the server eventually I think

One of the options I was considering, but would prefer either a single quad, or dual quads instead as those are 2x older dual cores, and would prefer 4x 1tb hdds in raid 10. I don't really need h/w raid, as I'm going to use WS 2012 r2 and Hyper-V, with my own license of course. I can use software raid no problem.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited July 2015

@MikeSpears said:
    I need an affordable dedi for a couple VMs that me and some friends use. (couple small game servers and a cPanel VM).

Specs needed:

4x 1tb HDD (can also look at other options)

16gb of RAM

13 CLEAN IPs.

I'm looking for a US location, and trying to spend under 50 a month. I'm fine with pretty much any quad core CPU, provided its Intel (don't like AMD). I can install the OS myself via KVM.

Best I can do is an e e3, 4x500gb hdds 32gb ram.

That I can do for $65

• mike1smike1s Member

Looks good to me. I'll pick one up in a couple days, waiting for my replacement credit card to come in the mail.

• SadySady Member

@MikeSpears said:

I was going to tell you same but dacentec won. Just want to say it's a good choice go ahead with it & you won't regret it. I've 5420 & 5520 both from them & both are solid :)

• mike1smike1s Member

I like Dacentec, I've used them before for projects. Was thinking of trying a different provider but I think I'll just stick with Dacentec lol

• MikeSpears said: I like Dacentec, I've used them before for projects. Was thinking of trying a different provider but I think I'll just stick with Dacentec lol

They're really good. Love that 24 hour SLA for new orders.

• instead of a dedi, what about a "cloud account" where you could used pooled resources to create 4 x VPS, each with a dedicated CPU core ? that way you only need 4 IPs. price depends on what CPU, RAM, disk space, bandwidth, etc

for a dedi, the 4 x HDD alone with cost $$$. how much space do you need ? another idea is get a cheap dedi with a /29 (5 IPs), and offload storage to a high storage VPS

you might need to be creative, as your spec isn't sub-$50

• BradBrad Member

@Bruce said:
    instead of a dedi, what about a "cloud account" where you could used pooled resources to create 4 x VPS, each with a dedicated CPU core ? that way you only need 4 IPs. price depends on what CPU, RAM, disk space, bandwidth, etc

for a dedi, the 4 x HDD alone with cost $$$. how much space do you need ? another idea is get a cheap dedi with a /29 (5 IPs), and offload storage to a high storage VPS

you might need to be creative, as your spec isn't sub-$50

In case you didn't see it, Dacentec is doing 4 x 1TB for $40, along with meeting all his other requirements other than 6 IPs.

• @Brad said:
    Dacentec is doing 4 x 1TB for $40

no, didn't see that. that's a great price. /29 is only a few $ more too

• Just ordered the Supermicro Dual Opteron 4122 32GB 4X1TB SATA server from Dacentec. Should have it within 24 hrs. Decided to get the opteron box since it had more ram for the same monthly, and I've been wanting to play with an AMD box for a bit now.

• Ordered the server at 10:57am EST, got it at 10:46pm EST. Not a bad deployment time.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • I discovered my network issue with Dacentec. A call to my ISP fixed it.
    How's the network with Datecentec? And their SLA? I want to try one :)

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited August 2015

Been decent so far. I fell asleep while waiting for my Windows install to finish as I was streaming the installer via KVM. I'm working on loading VMs on it right now.

• I just got up 41 minutes ago lol

• Got two VMs running. CentOS 7 with cPanel, and a Windows VM, and this box is pretty damn speedy. I'm actually starting to regret all the shit I've given AMD procs. The bandwidth seems to be pretty good, as I'm able to max my home internet (Verizon FiOS 150/150). I'm using the built in software raid in a RAID 10, and it's flawless so far.

• BG32BG32 Member

@MikeSpears said:
    Got two VMs running. CentOS 7 with cPanel, and a Windows VM, and this box is pretty damn speedy. I'm actually starting to regret all the shit I've given AMD procs. The bandwidth seems to be pretty good, as I'm able to max my home internet (Verizon FiOS 150/150). I'm using the built in software raid in a RAID 10, and it's flawless so far.

You should get hired by them as you know how to get windows working on their hardware

• @BG32 said:

LOL. It's easy to get windows working. I've used it on a few of their servers. I'm using Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V as the host OS/virtualization. If you're having issues with making it work, I can help.

• BG32BG32 Member

@MikeSpears said:

i got it installed and what not but it was a connection issue

• Still got this, and it's running fantastically. I have 6 VMs on it at this point (mix of Windows and Linux) and it's great.