Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small box cheaper than $5/y for specific purpose
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small box cheaper than $5/y for specific purpose

windytime90windytime90 Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

Hi,

I am in the need of a small box for my personal torrent purpose. My usage will be describe below:

• Install torrent client (transmission), web server (nginx).
  • Download files from torrent, stop it right after it finished downloading.
  • Stream the downloaded file to check for the accuracy, quality... (it takes about 5-10 minutes).
  • Delete the files and torrent and write preview on my blog, any files will not be kept longer than 1 hour.
  • No seeding, downloading speed is limited to 5M/s.

Therefore, I need the following specification:

• RAM: 128MB minimum
  • HDD: At least 10GB, 15-20GB is preferred.
  • Network: 100Mbps is fine with me.

I promise that I will respect other users on the node by limiting the resource to cause minimal impact. Actually,I think with my usage, if I order any vps and do my task without asking, the provider might not be noticed. I just want to be honest to specify my requirement.

Thank you!

Thanked by 1rahoolm

Comments

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited July 2015

512GB of traffic in justseed.it cost ~$7 and you get to do it from a web page.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @deadbeef said:
    512GB of traffic in justseed.it cost ~$7 and you get to do it from a web page.

Thank you, but I don't like them :).

Thanked by 2deadbeef WHT
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2015

bandwagonhost ($4/yr link is in @nyr's sig)

edit: nvm I thought there was a $4/yr deal but I must be going crazy

there's a $5/yr plan from 123systems (but read reviews, they're not highly recommened)

https://123systems.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=149

or deepnetsolutions $5.50

https://www.clients.deepnetsolutions.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=189

as for allowing torrents, with your budget all you can do is try it and hope you don't get caught

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • RizRiz Member

@nexmark in LA possibly.

Thanked by 2windytime90 nexmark
  • @hostnoob: I've checked them but disk space is not enough.

@Riz: His service is very good. I've ask them but it seems that he does not allow it :) (Actually, I didn't specify clearly the usage).

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • bersybersy Member

TragicServer has $6/year plan.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @bersy said:
    TragicServer has $6/year plan.

Dropped him a ticket. Thank you.

• Give budgetvz.com a try. You get an additional 20% off with using BVZJuly coupon.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • bersybersy Member
    edited July 2015

Hurry up, it will be 10% off in August :)

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • MikyMiky Member

BudgetVZ does not allow: "Torrents (Clients, Trackers or Indexers)"

Thanked by 2bersy windytime90
  • I'm cheap myself when it comes to certain type of servers ( mostly when buying dedicated servers) but man I know this is let but you are asking 5 bucks annually ( that's just tough ) add to that the provider has to be prepared for trouble for 5 bucks per year!

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • Yolo, get a Kimsufi.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @windytime90 I have a similar requirement, did you get any VPS? Basically I wanted to know whether any VPS Provider allows torrent downloads? Please do let me know if you get any such VPS. I don't have a strict budget of $5 /yearly. I can spend upto $15 / year :)

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @rahoolm said:
    I can spend upto $15 / year :)

Try catalysthost, I think they are torrent friendly for vpn but not sure about hosting. Maybe @ryanarp can answer it here for everyone.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • OK but their pricing seems to be on higher side. Have you ever tried services like www.zbigz.com ? They do the torrent part at their end and you don't even need to download a .torrent file on your VPS. But it seems a bit costlier though.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Try catalysthost, I think they are torrent friendly for vpn but not sure about hosting. Maybe ryanarp can answer it here for everyone.

Host all the Linux ISO you want :) We do act on abuse complaints, so if you plan on hosting anything that infringes on copyright, we are likely not a good fit for you.

• @bersy said:
    Hurry up, it will be 10% off in August :)

You mean the promotion of tragic server will end today?

• @rahoolm said:
    OK but their pricing seems to be on higher side.

Quality service deserves a high price. I will never cancel my box with catalysthost even though I can get 2-3 boxes for the same price of their 96mb vps but the quality cannot be compared, especially the support given. Ryan spent several hours trying to trouble a problem with my VPN and just that alone worth more than what I paid. If you need quality service, don't be a cheapo.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

So.. how much bandwidth do you need for your $5? -_-

I would only pick a provider that specifically allows it, otherwise you might end up on fraudrecord (even though it's not fraud).

Tragicservers doesnot allow "illegal torrents" (-> https://www.tragicservers.com/tos.php )

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

windytime90 said: Thank you, but I don't like them :).

Just curious - why?