Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferred method for source control?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preferred method for source control?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited November 2012 in General

I'm wondering what you guys/gals use for source control, either for development code, or for sysadim/vps config.

I mostly deploy systems with chef, puppet or ansible so that is in a git repo, and on specific servers the app config directory or the /etc directory is a git repo.

For the central source code I use git over ssh, gitolite and gitlab and for public source code github.

Why? Because I learned SVN back in college, and git has an easier "offline mode". And it is used a lot by people who work with me.

Anybody using mercurial, svn, CVS, darcs or what not, and why?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Git, on one of my VPSes using gitolite + cgit + a custom script for adding keys. Mirroring some repositories to Github.

• Local (well, not really local, it's a server in LAN) SVN for my personal development. Single user, low activity. Mostly used to store my websites code revisions once I change something. Don't really need much of the features cept for the version history. So SVN because I've just used to the CVS for a long time. Don't want to learn git because I don't need much.

• I used to hate git. Just completely hate it, I thought it was 100% terrible. But now i'm using it...

I've used CVS, then SVN, and now git.

• Git all day, every day.

• AsimAsim Member
    edited November 2012

@Damian said: I used to hate git. Just completely hate it, I thought it was 100% terrible. But now i'm using it...

Same here, now im loving it. Its a pain in the rear to get a GUI diff in place (like kdiff3) for conflict resolution but otherwise its OK

I have personal severs with config, a small PHP app to do some config and some in github/bitbucket

• Git, and everything in GitLab :D

• Git here, never used any of the others though.

• SVN everyday at work and Mercurial for personal projects.

I'm currently advocating my company to switch our source control to Git but it is slow and we are planning to use it only for new projects. SVN was great but occasionally, it botches and fixing it takes time.

I'm sticking with Mercurial for personal stuff because BitBucket provides free hosting for private repos.

• @tortau said: I'm sticking with Mercurial for personal stuff because BitBucket provides free hosting for private repos.

It also provides free hosting for private git repos.

• I use git in everything personal.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said: I used to hate git. Just completely hate it, I thought it was 100% terrible. But now i'm using it...

Git is one of those few things where the 'idea' behind it and how it's operated, is more complicated to many people than the actual technical implementation.

• @Corey Yeah, but I joined them quite awhile back before they offered git and I guess I kinda stuck with it. Not to mention that TortoiseHg >>> TortoiseGit.

I'm a little use to GUIs (since I have to use TortoiseSVN at work) so I think I was aiming for the better interface/intergration.

• Git with BitBucket, unlimited private repositories for free.

• Git with github, I work on a few private repos not managed by me. I tried settting up gitosis once, got reprimanded by a friend for using that instead of gitolite, set up gitolite and was just lost from there.

OTOH my workplace uses (Tortoise)SVN

• @bit said: Fossil

Why: http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

That is something I'm going to look in. Looks nice...

• Got everything up on Github, plus backups offsite just in case. Great that I can just login to Github & make a change to some code on the fly if something needs editing & it'll get included in the next deploy.