Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Disappointed with some in the LET community
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Disappointed with some in the LET community

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

Hello all.

As some of you know, we have been offering free VPS since the beginning of the month and thanks to @Anna_Parker re-sharing our offer from another forum here, we have had quite a lot of interest from the LET community with hundreds of signups!

I believe the majority of our users have abided by the terms we have set. But there are some that seem determined to game the system and bypass all the rules/limitations, and they will are spoiling it for everyone.

I'm sharing this here on LET now for 2 reasons. Mainly to vent I suppose! Sorry to be a bummer, but somehow sharing one's frustrations on the internet with the world just seems to be the thing to do. But also, to any would be abusers who may be active, perhaps this will dissuade you from continuing your harmful actions.

Please follow the rules set. If you don't agree with it, don't use it, or you will eventually be banned.

1 account per person means 1 per person. 1 SiteCoin offer per person per month means just that!

I know it is in people's nature to take as much as they can, but it will just spoil it for everyone else.

In the meantime, if there are any tips people here have for avoiding or reducing abuse, I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry for the rant people.

Comments

  • sdglhmsdglhm Member

    Wait and see how you'll get probably attacked on this thread and they will follow your every thread. :)

    Thanked by 1netomx

    time wasters please dont comment as we are a serious buyer
    Programmer trying to do Logo Designs

  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited July 2015

    You've made it just in time for my nomination of most pointless thread of the month.

    Thanked by 3rm_ William alexvolk
  • randvegeta said: any tips people here have for avoiding or reducing abuse

    Social responsibility is not easy to teach. Good luck though. :)

    randvegeta said: 1 account per person means 1 per person.

    Perhaps explain that with a graphic to help those who are mathematically challenged.

  • LeeLee Member
    edited July 2015

    randvegeta said: if there are any tips people here have for avoiding or reducing abuse, I'm open to suggestions.

    Offer something for free and expect abuse. suck it up or stop doing it.

  • jarjar Provider

    @Lee said:
    Offer something for free and expect abuse. suck it up or stop doing it.

    Yep. You think you're being nice but in reality all you're doing is making your service less reliable for your paying customers when you give things away for free. You're also raising overhead, because any host here will tell you that the less people pay the more they expect. I saw it with Catalyst and MXroute, and I learned from my mistakes on offering things for free or too cheap.

    Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Lee said:
    Offer something for free and expect abuse. suck it up or stop doing it.

    How about free spanking?

    Thanked by 14n0nx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    sdglhm said: Wait and see how you'll get probably attacked on this thread and they will follow your every thread. :)

    How right you are!

    Jar said: all you're doing is making your service less reliable for your paying customers when you give things away for free.

    Separate nodes, separate network. Free clients do not affect paying clients.

    Also this venture is new so not really many paying clients on this any way. Parent company is funding this in it's entirety. Just sad to see.

    deadbeef said: How about free spanking?

    We can offer it but do you think anyone will want it?

    Lee said: Offer something for free and expect abuse. suck it up or stop doing it.

    Your opinion is free right?

  • LeeLee Member

    randvegeta said: Your opinion is free right?

    No, there is just no option that allows for me to charge for it.

    Thanked by 14n0nx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    Lee said: No, there is just no option that allows for me to charge for it.

    I see.. well do send me the bill for your much desired and apparently solicited opinion!

  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

    The giveaway itself is kinda gay (yet not homosexual). I was excited to see it, but then "hurr durr carrot pay free site credit every month claim pay free" wat?

    (((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

    ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

  • LeeLee Member

    randvegeta said: I see.. well do send me the bill for your much desired and apparently solicited opinion!

    If you did not want the opinion don't post on a public forum being all whiny.

  • @Lee said:
    No, there is just no option that allows for me to charge for it.

    The paid version of opinion is called "consulting".

  • @randvegeta said:
    I see.. well do send me the bill for your much desired and apparently solicited opinion!

    You solicited opinions by posting.

    Thanked by 14n0nx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    Lee said: If you did not want the opinion don't post on a public forum being all whiny.

    If you did not want the response, don't post on a public forum being all whiny.

    4n0nx said: The giveaway itself is kinda gay (yet not homosexual). I was excited to see it, but then "hurr durr carrot pay free site credit every month claim pay free" wat?

    It's a small hoop 1 must jump. It's how we ensure that VPS are active. Otherwise people would sign up, and we would never know if the VPS is actually in use. Requiring a payment every month with freely issues Carrots means the user has made an effort to keep it active. If they don't then our system can cancel the VPS and free up resources.

    I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes to do that every month, then why would we bother to give you the service? It's a tiny thing to expect. I think we are being more than reasonable.

    Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    deadbeef said: You solicited opinions by posting.

    Yes I know.... that was indeed the purpose of the thread.

  • Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

    deadbeef said: The paid version of opinion is called "consulting".

    Actually, I was looking for an insultant.

    Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

  • LeeLee Member

    randvegeta said: If you did not want the response, don't post on a public forum being all whiny.

    Wow, watch what you're doing, you nearly hit me with that dummy when you spat it out.

  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

    randvegeta said: It's a small hoop 1 must jump. It's how we ensure that VPS are active. Otherwise people would sign up, and we would never know if the VPS is actually in use. Requiring a payment every month with freely issues Carrots means the user has made an effort to keep it active. If they don't then our system can cancel the VPS and free up resources.

    I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes to do that every month, then why would we bother to give you the service? It's a tiny thing to expect. I think we are being more than reasonable.

    Makes sense. However, you could have just required a login every 1-3 months.

    (((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

    ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    @4n0nx said:
    Makes sense. However, you could have just required a login every 1-3 months.

    Why would we do it that way? The solution we have now is easy and simple and requires only limited effort from the user. A login every few months is too easy, can be automated and requires more coding/customization.

    @Lee , you point out that if you give something for free, expect abuse or stop giving it. Given this advice was given freely, how could you not expect a cheeky response?

    How about we be gentlemen moving forward and dispense with the bravado?

  • @randvegeta ... a lot of the ex-mods here seem to have chips on their shoulder, perhaps they get violated in some way.

    Though the above comments are true. Cheap/free always attracts trouble. Perhaps you can tighten up who is 'worthy' of your free offering by asking for ID, or some other kind of barrier to entry.

    Good on you if you think the free service is giving some real value to those using it.

  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

    randvegeta said: Why would we do it that way? The solution we have now is easy and simple and requires only limited effort from the user. A login every few months is too easy, can be automated and requires more coding/customization.

    It seems the carrots are still not difficult enough to prevent abuse. Better make it so that it is impossible for one person to have enough time to own 2 free VPS's

    (((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

    ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

  • Is the op site vpsbit.com ? With the carrot coins?

    Typical guy alexneo.net

    Peering AS135103

  • BharatBBharatB Member, Provider

    @randvegeta said:

    Keeping aside all the shit people say, coming back to the point. For free vps you're providing and not expecting abuse needs a little man power and working hours.

    If you're up to it then here's a suggestion tell users to contact you guys via ticket give each one of them a one time use promo which will make the price of the vps product = 0.

    Disadvantage to this method would be people might use VPS / VPN's IPs to deceit and multiple emails but if you enable maxmind their shit wont work but then again there's a whole world lot of possibilities to cheat.

    GL with your venture hope it would bring good karma to your co-workers and family ofc :)

    Readydedis, LLC - Managed Dedicated Servers

  • @Lee said:
    No, there is just no option that allows for me to charge for it.

    "LowEndConsulting.com"

    Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

  • GStanleyGStanley Member
    edited July 2015

    randvegeta said: Hello all.

    I'm disappointed in what seems to be IP hi-jacking on your network. At the least, questionable announcements.

    Your downstream peer, the private ASN you have setup for StrongVPN seems to be announcing IPs from Southern Arkansas University, Nike, Inc., Carmichael-Lynch, and QNET to name a few.

    Any explanation? You don't seem to have that brilliant an upstream mix to merit Nike, Inc's business, and I don't think anyone at Southern Arkansas University would be going near HK.

    True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    @GStanley,

    Is that a joke? It's an Internal ASN.... Those other IPs are not anounced on our network. You do know how BGP works right?

  • cassacassa Member, Provider

    Check out Nodewatch

    ik moet poepen

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    @cassa,

    Thanks but its not applicable for us. Ours is XenServer. not OpenVZ.

    Besides, the biggest problem isnt actual abuse of VPS or network but people ordering more than 1 free acc.

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

    GStanley said: I'm disappointed in what seems to be IP hi-jacking on your network. At the least, questionable announcements.

    Your downstream peer, the private ASN you have setup for StrongVPN seems to be announcing IPs from Southern Arkansas University, Nike, Inc., Carmichael-Lynch, and QNET to name a few.

    Any explanation? You don't seem to have that brilliant an upstream mix to merit Nike, Inc's business, and I don't think anyone at Southern Arkansas University would be going near HK.

    eh, what? While i don't like that guy this has nothing to do with them - This networks are not announced by Tele Asia but by oither users that share the same private ASN with their upstreams, you can see that in the "Peers" tab. The only network transiting Tele Asia is 103.16.229.0/24 which has an an IRR entry to their AS133398 (though only in NTTs DB and not in APNIC, but the space is clearly owned by them).

    Thanked by 1GStanley
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    @William, Im hurt. You dont like me? Was it somthing I said?

    In all seriousness though, thanks for the informative post. Indeed we are only using our own or authorized address spaces.

  • randvegeta said: thanks to @Anna_Parker re-sharing our offer

    My pleasure! :-)

    RC5 cracker since 1998!

  • GStanleyGStanley Member
    edited July 2015

    randvegeta said: Is that a joke? It's an Internal ASN.... Those other IPs are not anounced on our network. You do know how BGP works right?

    randvegeta said: In all seriousness though, thanks for the informative post. Indeed we are only using our own or authorized address spaces.

    I do, do you? You should remove private-as on your sessions. You're leaking...

    True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    @GStanley,

    Do you seriously think we are advertising Nike's or Southern Arkansas University's IP space? I'm not sure I understand your comment. You know it's an internal AS and yet, you think we are the only ones who 'leak' and thus we are hijacking IPs because other IPs are on that internal AS?

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

    GStanley said: I do, do you? You should remove private-as on your sessions. You're leaking...

    Again, what? A private ASN is perfectly fine for peering with downstream customer that has no ASN - bgp.he.net is ZERO indicative of anything in that regard as it simply parses data from HEs routers. There is nothign wrong with how/what @randvegeta does.

    Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • William said: Again, what? A private ASN is perfectly fine for peering with downstream customer that has no ASN - bgp.he.net is ZERO indicative of anything in that regard as it simply parses data from HEs routers. There is nothign wrong with how/what @randvegeta does.

    Very very defensive you are. Yes, it's just a parse of HE's routers. Properly done, the private ASN shouldn't leak. Go back to peddling IPs with your low end collaboration.

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.

  • GStanley said: Very very defensive you are. Yes, it's just a parse of HE's routers. Properly done, the private ASN shouldn't leak. Go back to peddling IPs with your low end collaboration.

    Do you have any experience with BGP at all? I mean seriously, stop making yourself look like a fool.

Sign In or Register to comment.