Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

International Partners
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

International Partners

NickONickO Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hey,

I was just thinking to myself about how having partners across the globe would work or if it does really work.

If any of you are currently running a ship with something like this do you/did you find it hard to run a company with someone you may have never really met in person? Did it work well?

I think this could turn into a nice little discussion :)

Comments

• General Rule of Thumb: Work with someone you know you can hold responsible.

Knowing them physically and knowing them virtually are two different levels (obviously) but honestly, both of those people can have the ability to screw you over even if you've never met them physically. Now, personally I have partnered with someone before who I never met before and it has worked out perfectly for us.

The important thing I'd say is knowing that person's psyche. I know for a fact (well, I hope) that @jarland won't screw me over because honestly, he hasn't done anything like that (yet?) and he always presents himself in a way he shows himself virtually (as if I'm literally standing here talking to him), and honestly if I do meet him IRL I probably could shoot the poo (my apologies with language) with him (or honestly anyone else on here).

So, getting back on point here...

Getting time together to match our communication schedule is a pain. 100% straight forward. But once you're past the main communication issue, you're perfectly fine.

• It depends on if you know the person or can trust them - doesn't matter if it's online or not. Your best friend for years can still cheat on you.

If do have International staff to cover support, but not sharing the business with any so far. Considering it, but not at this stage.

• @HalfEatenPie and @concerto49 pretty much the same thing I've always thought however someone that you can meet up with daily would ought to definitely be a lot easier to resolve any problems / miscommunication there may be. But as said I guess things can go wrong even if they do have a physical presence.

• @NickO said: @HalfEatenPie and @concerto49 pretty much the same thing I've always thought however someone that you can meet up with daily would ought to definitely be a lot easier to resolve any problems / miscommunication there may be. But as said I guess things can go wrong even if they do have a physical presence.

I mean back when I had a business partner he and I agreed to the terms that if we text/e-mail each other we'd reply within 24 hours. Obviously it depended on the situation, but even a simple text/e-mail saying "Yeah I got your message" or "I'm looking into it" is basically guaranteed. Although because both of us basically lived with our phones on us at all times, we usually replied to texts within an hour (usually minutes).

Just make sure you have common ground rules set, that's what I think.

• @NickO said: I've always thought however someone that you can meet up with daily would ought to definitely be a lot easier to resolve any problems / miscommunication there may be. But as said I guess things can go wrong even if they do have a physical presence.

Remote has their benefit too. Say you can cover different timezones.

• @concerto49 said: Remote has their benefit too. Say you can cover different timezones.

Obtain more clients because both of you guys are in different geographic markets, better market for hardware (assuming technical?) (certain places have cheaper hardware than the other), etc.

Honestly in the end, (in my opinion) it evens out.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

I absolutely wouldn't partner with someone I didn't know IRL. You're just asking for MORE trouble then. Having a partner is not always easy as sometimes you will disagree on stuff. You never really KNOW someone.... especially ONLINE...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

The key word. Look out. ;)

Don't get into business with someone you don't know. It may look like I do with Ryan in WV and me in TX, but he moved there from here, both born & raised here.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Obtain more clients because both of you guys are in different geographic markets, better market for hardware (assuming technical?) (certain places have cheaper hardware than the other), etc.

Honestly in the end, (in my opinion) it evens out.

+1. I also find you don't "know" someone until you put them on as a partner. Even if you've been friends with them for years, starting a business brings out a whole different personality. Doesn't help.

Of course, you should get to know the person first.

• @jarland said: The key word. Look out.

Don't you curse me Ricky Bobby!

Honestly, I guess it just depends on your characteristic. I'd like to say I'm pretty sure I'm trustworthy (well, I hope I am...) and I hope you can see that on the interwebz.

I mean in all honesty, I'm not out to get anyone on the internet.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Don't you curse me Ricky Bobby!

Honestly, I guess it just depends on your characteristic. I'd like to say I'm pretty sure I'm trustworthy (well, I hope I am...) and I hope you can see that on the interwebz.

I mean in all honesty, I'm not out to get anyone on the internet.

Wait - so you are @jarland s business partner?

• First impressions count: If you don't think you guys will work out, then don't do it. Saves you a lot of regret.

• Heads up to everyone, this is not for me but just something I was curious about and how often it works compared to how often everything goes tits up.

• You mean partners? No. I like to keep all my earnings than splitting it.

• We don't have partners in terms of running a business. But I did have many experiences where US guys will outsource to us US projects for cheaper cost. It works but very tricky. It is also somehow a partnership because you have to trust both sides money wise. But once you get past the feeling out phase, after a project or two, things go smoothly afterwards.

• Our investors and all of our senior staff are international (I'm in Sweden, they're in USA). I know the investors and most of our senior staff for over a decade (in person) though.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@KnightSwarm_Phillip said: Our investors and all of our senior staff are international (I'm in Sweden, they're in USA). I know the investors and most of our senior staff for over a decade (in person) though.

@KnightSwarm_Phillip Heja Sverige :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Corey said: Wait - so you are @jarland s business partner?

Nah, we've just conversed enough to gain mutual trust ;)

• Look for proven track record (and be streetwise in how you judge that), be clear on the "win" (what does this person offer that is unique/advantageous that you can't get locally) and - at least to start with - over-communicate. Define together what success is and under which terms either of you would pull the plug. Don't assume malice when things don't go smoothly, diff. cultures truly do think differently (hence the need to overcommunicate). Baby-steps...and protect the downside.

• @Corey said: Wait - so you are @jarland s business partner?

@jarland said: Nah, we've just conversed enough to gain mutual trust ;)

Basically, yeah this above. We're not business partners just good friends.

• @halfeatenpie now we know why you are @halfeatenpie ;p

• I ve done business with people I ve never had contact face to face. With some of them, I was really close and catching up well. We ve done good business and made money.

With the others, I never made business because I could not trust em. Some of them were teenager kids, not knowing what they want, not respecting your plans.

• @RosenCruz said: I ve done business with people I ve never had contact face to face. With some of them, I was really close and catching up well. We ve done good business and made money.

With the others, I never made business because I could not trust em. Some of them were teenager kids, not knowing what they want, not respecting your plans.

Doing 'business' with someone is different than being a business partner with someone.

• @Corey said: Doing 'business' with someone is different than being a business partner with someone.

You are right, I have to add. They were my partners. From Sweden, Lebanon, Switzerland, Germany. So many good people I had time and business with.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@craigb said: Look for proven track record (and be streetwise in how you judge that), be clear on the "win" (what does this person offer that is unique/advantageous that you can't get locally) and - at least to start with - over-communicate. Define together what success is and under which terms either of you would pull the plug. Don't assume malice when things don't go smoothly, diff. cultures truly do think differently (hence the need to overcommunicate). Baby-steps...and protect the downside.

I miss the thanks button :(

• @Maounique said: I miss the thanks button :(

yeah.. me too..
    any idea where it gone?

• edited November 2012

@Pats said: any idea where it gone?

It's removed due to a vulnerability

• @Pats said: any idea where it gone?

AFAIK some software vulnerability related to the thanks button was discovered so it was temporarily removed. What exactly is the vulnerability and how hard would it be to patch it and restor the thanks functionality - i have no idea.