Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS recommendation that works with Docker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS recommendation that works with Docker

h4xor3rh4xor3r Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

My budget is probably $30 ~ $40 USD / yr
I don't use it much, but I keep one around for reserve purpose. I also have a very small personal site that I keep as a blog (just static html)

Oh would prefer something that I can run Docker on because I have would like to run at least 2 simple services for it.

I also would prefer use it as VPN, and hopefully located outside of North America. (Would like UK location)

I don't need high-end spec, but a 512MB RAM, 1 Core, 30GB disk space is fine with me.

At least 1 public IP (hopefully static)

Comments

• Hello,

Please have a look at our recent KVM offer it fits your yearly budget and comes with 1GB RAM for 30Euro/yr:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/59260/aheadcloud-eu-exclusive-kvm-vps-512mb-ram-16-5-yr-and-other-awesome-kvm-high-specs-offers

• All kvm vps will do, so check the offers here. Some OpenVZ providers also have enabled docker support, if I recall correctly @time4vps has.

• @deadbeef, dude! Thanks man! I would definitely prefer OpenVZ as it's faster and it's simple for me to use as well.

Does it all matter just about which kernel it uses?

• well, if you lax your outside of north america, there's Hostus.us which allows Docker.

I do believe now they have HK and SG though, but.. fair difference to the UK that's wanted.

• @autosnipe what kernels does your OpenVZ running on?

• High enough to use Docker, but.. we don't use Veth. unsure what problems SolusVM will have with running Veth.

• @autosnipe I saw your signature has few other VPS, do you recommend those?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited July 2015

@h4xor3r said:
    deadbeef, dude! Thanks man! I would definitely prefer OpenVZ as it's faster and it's simple for me to use as well.

Does it all matter just about which kernel it uses?

https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT

Since OpenVZ kernel 042stab105.4 it is possible to run Docker inside containers

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @deadbeef, great to know! But how do I check whether a VPS' OpenVZ will support it or not?

• @h4xor3r said:
    deadbeef, great to know! But how do I check whether a VPS' OpenVZ will support it or not?

You have to ask the provider if they have it available.

• @deadbeef, thanks! It will be nice to have a spreadsheet here so I can just search it.

• I don't have one, wait for people to chime in.

• Im creating a vm now, and checking how well veth will work under the guidance of SolusVM. will let you know, if it is ok, then can work something out for you.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @deadbeef thanks dude!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • If it's just for testing you can also run docker with UML on OpenVZ. Performance will suffer, I don't know how much. But it's not as bad as qemu inside OpenVZ (which some people do to run Windows on OpenVZ :) ). It does work.

• @deadbeef , @AutoSnipe, @elwebmaster if I take away Docker, how do I keep my server configs consistent and VCS-ready? Using Ansible/Salt/Chef/Puppet to provision it? I expect myself to quickly bring something up for HA if my primary VPS has a long outage.

• @h4xor3r said:
    deadbeef , AutoSnipe, elwebmaster if I take away Docker, how do I keep my server configs consistent and VCS-ready? Using Ansible/Salt/Chef/Puppet to provision it? I expect myself to quickly bring something up for HA if my primary VPS has a long outage.

From what I've read, Ansible appears to be the best choice. I was also looking for the same solution recently and tried various alternatives.
    But why don't you want a KVM? Do you find the performance that much worse than OpenVZ? I think Ansible + Docker, or even just Docker, is probably the least effort way to get it done.

• @elwebmaster said:
    But why don't you want a KVM? Do you find the performance that much worse than OpenVZ? I think Ansible + Docker, or even just Docker, is probably the least effort way to get it done.

I wouldn't mind KVM if it's in my budget range, but I would prefer to setup a VPN in UK.

• HostUs supports Docker

Link - https://my.hostus.us/announcements.php?id=23

I am a current customer and was 100% up and best support until now

Affiliate link - https://my.hostus.us/aff.php?aff=446

• h4xor3rh4xor3r Member
    edited July 2015

@vlearnedu any special promotion offer they are doing? Too bad, they don't have UK location.

• @h4xor3r said:
    vlearnedu any special promotion offer they are doing? Too bad, they don't have UK location.

No promotions for cheap plan actually but there are some promos , sorry I don't think they have UK

• @h4xor3r said:
    I wouldn't mind KVM if it's in my budget range, but I would prefer to setup a VPN in UK.

Can you just use an LES box for VPN in the UK and get a KVM elsewhere?

• We can do the following for you, but in France:

RAM: 512 MB
    Processor: 1 Core, 3+ GHz
    Storage: 15 GB
    Bandwidth: 1024 GB (free incoming. resets by the start of every month)

Virtualization: KVM
    Network Speed: up to 1Gbps
    DDoS Protected by OVH's Anti-DDoS Pro
    IPv4: 1
    IPv6: 1 (more can be routed by request, free of charge)

Price: €0.0055/hr. (€3.7/mo)
    Order: http://cloud.verelox.com/register.php

P.S You receive 3 hours of equivalent credit once you validate your email address for this package so that you may try it out before deciding, no payment details required.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:
    All kvm vps will do, so check the offers here. Some OpenVZ providers also have enabled docker support, if I recall correctly time4vps has.

We are using different branch of kernel which doesn't support Docker. But we are testing it at the moment and hope that in the near future we can offer Docker support.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • VPSnetVPSnet Member, Host Rep

Hello,

https://www.vpsnet.lt/en/services/vps openvz VPS supports dockers

There is precreated OS and it already have docker installed on it:

CentOS-7 (Docker 64bit)
    Standard CentOS 7 64 bit operating system with "Docker" support in it.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Alright, after some researches, I think I can leave out the UK requirement.

But would still like Docker support + at least 1 static IP.

By the way, does all services provided DNS support? Or do I have to install/setup Bind9 myself, so I can direct my Domain Name to it?

• The_creatorThe_creator Member
    edited July 2015

@h4xor3r

It is not neccersary that all provider will provide DNS but you can easily do that with the your domain provider. Normally with any big domain registrar you get free DNS management which can save you from the hassle of managing DNS server yourself. Or you can try Rage4 they have sort of free tier too if I am not wrong.

• yomeroyomero Member

Seriously, just go with KVM.

From the same wiki page cited previously:

Only "vfs" Docker graph driver is currently supported

And vfs runs really slow and uses too much disk space.

I've done this and just doesn't work, and probably never will work with another storage solution.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeapNikhilLeapNikhil Member, Host Rep

Please have a look on our offer :-

UVPS-2

1GB Guaranteed RAM
    512 MB OpenVZ VSwap
    1 CPU Core of E5-2620v2
    50GB RAID Protected SSD Space
    500GB Data transfer on 100 mbps port (Main nodes use 1000mbps ports)
    SolusVM
    Nightly R1Soft Backups to US Backup server with 5 recovery points.
    1 IPv4 Address

Only 40 VMs available with this offer.

$7/month - COUPON - PTOVZVPS1GB (Standard $19/month - 65% discount)

$48/year - COUPON - PTOVZVPS1GB48 - (Standard $190/year - 75% discount)

Order here :- http://leapswitch.com/porto-portugal/unmanaged-vps-hosting/linux.php

• Thanks guys for all the comments and suggestions, I decide to go with @websound because it seems like a better deal for me with KVM.