Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSH

SashiSashi Member
edited November 2012 in General

Alright, stupid question

The VPS I have is in UK, however I am based in Canada

SSH is lagging, probably because of the hops it has to make.

Anyway to make it faster? Or should I just terminate this and get something closer to me?

Thanks

Comments

• You should terminate this and get something closer to you.

• http://mosh.mit.edu/

Or, get something closer to you :p

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If the ssh is lagging there is a problem. I am in Romania and have VPSes in US and if I have lag on SSH I change provider because it means their network sucks, but it didnt happen often.
    M

• Well either the "network sucks", or your route from point A to point B sucks. You can also change your SSH options such as enabling compression and such.

• Speaking of which, is >100ms from US East Coast to Prometheus VPS bad?

edited November 2012

I have many providers here including colo and can test from most of Europe and US also. If only one provider has a problem, OK, but if I get bad results from more than one with another carrier, then their routes suck, not mine.

@Zetta said: Speaking of which, is >100ms from US East Coast to Prometheus VPS bad?

It depends, I get about 45 ms to most DCs there, 100 ms I can live with, much more than that starts to look bad. Which DC is that ? I can test from more locations.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

Between UK and CA is what... 110ms? This should not be that terrible unless you host gameserver or something like that (but then you wouldn't say that SSH specificly is lagging).
    If there's issue it's rather your vps host or network specific issue not distance itself. If SSH is lagging maybe isn't even network connection latency issue but slow, unresponsive overloaded node.

@Zetta said: Speaking of which, is >100ms from US East Coast to Prometheus VPS bad?

I don't think so. I mean it depend from your usage but everything around 120ms between US East Coast to "central" Europe seems decent.

edited November 2012

@Maounique said: It depends, I get about 45 ms to most DCs there,

Sorry was on the wrong box :) When I posted I realized only that it cant be so good, it is close to 4 AM
    I get 106-108 from prometeus..

@Spirit said: Between UK and CA is what... 110ms? This should not be that terrible unless you host gameserver or something like that (but then you wouldn't say that SSH specificly is lagging).

If there's issue it's rather your vps host or network specific issue not distance itself. If SSH is lagging maybe isn't even network connection latency issue but slow, unresponsive overloaded node.

Exactly my thoughts.

• @Sashi said: SSH is lagging, probably because of the hops it has to make.

Are you certain about this?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@lele0108 said: Are you certain about this?

He's guessing and searching for our advice ;-)
    Anyway, distance itself and connectivity between UK and Canada under normal conditions should not be the reason for SSH lagging.

At any rate, even with 300 ms it should not feel laggy, unless you are full of amphetamines or something :P

• no it is lagging, its like a 2-3 second delay when I press something and then finally shows in SSH client

• Post MTR

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited November 2012

@Sashi said: no it is lagging, its like a 2-3 second delay when I press something and then finally shows in SSH client

Unless your round-trip time is 2-3 seconds, which seems doubtful, the node is probably overloaded.

edited November 2012

2-3 seconds shold be on the moon, anywhere some place outside earth.
    That is not because of routing, can circumvent the earth 5 times, i get 300+ ms only in places like japan and australia, very rarely i see 400, to get 10 times that is not possible to be because of routes.
    There is something wrong with either:
    1. Your connection;
    2. Your provider which gets crap commits and pushes past the limit;
    3. The destination which pushes past the limit;
    4. an unresponsive VPS.

do a traceroute and the hops will tell you where is the big jump in response times.

@Wunderbar said: Unless your round-trip time is 2-3 seconds, which seems doubtful,

That can't happen on earth in normal internet. I think the moon half that away, 1.25 seconds or so.

• I'm about 400ms-500ms to my server and ssh still snappy. From my experience, ssh to openvz and xen vps usually snappier than to kvm vps.

@Sashi I think your problem is your vps is on the node that is oversold and struggle with high load.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: At any rate, even with 300 ms it should not feel laggy, unless you are full of amphetamines or something :P

Eh, it depends...

Had a Hetzner server with ~155 ms latency to my house. Could definitely feel the input delay. Still usable, but there was many times where I wanted to do something fast, but couldn't because of the lag.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

From east coast to Europe, I would find 100ms to be quite reasonable, seeing that most places inside of the US are between 20 to 100ms.

If rather from somewhere in Europe to UK that you're getting in excess of 300ms there may be some connectivity issues, or maybe even latency issues at your own location.

In some cases you can alleviate this with some degree of tunneling, for example if I'm using an IPv6 tunnel near home with a low latency of under 20ms, I could instead connect to SSH over IPv6 to bypass the usual IPv4 routing to end up with a lower latency (though in most cases it's the other way around). (for example to one of my dedicated servers in kansas using native IPv6, I can ping about 30ms thru theIPv6 tunnel at home, versus 40ms over IPv4).

IF the lag is not due to ping, it could be instead due to connection quality in general, or the manner in which sshd was configured (for example enabling compression, turning off UseDNS and other options may help improve the speed).

• @Maounique said: That can't happen on earth in normal internet. I think the moon half that away, 1.25 seconds or so.

Cloud hosting is so 2011. Moon Hosting™

Looks pretty interesting, thanks for the link.