Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the deal with kimsufi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the deal with kimsufi?

John_RJohn_R Member
edited November 2012 in Providers

Can anybody give me some info on kimsufi?

The prices look right for small dedi, what's the catch?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

There's no catch!

I'll just switch yours hands from any of these robots

That's the kind of robot I am

• @netomz: that is very helpful!

• No Catch.

Simple hardware, decent network (not the best, not the worse),

Support is not the best as can be imagined at this price point though so don't expect hand holding.

You can do just about everything from the control panel though including full OS changes/reloads.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

i do not have one as they dont sell to romanians, but from what i know from other ppl:
    1. They are indeed what they say they are, small toys without virtualization on the low plans and without extra IPs (well, unless v6...)
    2. The bw is good, they only care for one way, and ovh/ovh traffic is completely free
    3. It depends on luck what system you get
    4. They dont like abuse reports
    5. They are very big and couldnt care less for a small customer.
    I think that is about it worth mentioning.

• If you get one, be sure to beat down any new storage VPS threads.

• 3. It depends on luck what system you get
    4. They dont like abuse reports
    5. They are very big and couldnt care less for a small customer.
    I think that is about it worth mentioning.

Why post if you don't have one?

1. you get what is advertised or better. Never less. so It is not a game of luck. You get what they say, sometimes you just get a better cpu is all.
      4: I have never had a problem with this and I am sure I have gotten a few abuse reports :)
      5: I don't think this is true, support is not the quickest but hardware problems are fixed and if its something they can fix they will.
  • As long as they keep up with hardware, and I can control reboots and reinstalls, it is all good.

Does anybody have any bad experiences with the company? As in, someone who rent(s)(ed) a server?

edited November 2012

@luma said: Why post if you don't have one?

Because I know many ppl that have one ?

About renting regular server to use in production, as long as they dont get abuse reports, everything will be running smoothly. Make sure you have backups, if possible get a kimsufi for it, you can have as many backups as you want, even continuous since traffic between ovh-ovh is not counted.

• Honestly, they're pretty decent for whatever you want to run on it. If you want to run them to the ground they honestly don't care. Just like what @Maounique said though, they don't like abuse reports.

@John_R: Honestly, its a hit or miss. Certain people had horrible experience with them just due to the fact that their support takes a few days to get back to you. Personally for me though, I love it for the purpose I have it for (just running them to the ground, storage, and other miscellaneous items). If network doesn't matter to you (I'm in the USA, it gives me about 1.5Mbps download speed to PA from France) and the entire fact that if something goes wrong it'll take them a while to fix it up for you, then go for it.

I have two Kimsufi boxes. One of their mKS 2G and one of their "Specials" (Q6600 with 4GB RAM)

• @HalfEatenPie said: they don't like abuse reports.

pardon me, what does abuse reports mean? Is it complaining regarding digital rights? or something else?

Anything.
    Like port scanning, spam, hosting something some government/church doesnt like, "replica" shops, phishing, really, can be a very-very wide area.

• @jcaleb said: pardon me, what does abuse reports mean? Is it complaining regarding digital rights? or something else?

Exactly what @Maounique said. Basically, anything that brings attention to your box.

• xBytezxBytez Member
    edited November 2012

Kimsufi is nice, but not for nodes if you want to do automatic setup for Solus/WHMCS.

Currently you have to do the networking via ip routes, and solusvm doesnt support that, but I heard from Solus support that they are going to change that.

And, if you misconfigure the network, the IP that is misconfigured will be blocked (but you can unblock yourself.)

http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient

My Solus ticket:

"CLIENT:

Hi there SolusVM,
    Again we have one small problem,
    Kimsufi requires a networking template for you to use or they are going to block your IPs, Solus uses its own, but how do I set it that it uses this template (for Debian-based operating systems) (We use pyGrub kernel and stacklet.com Xen PV templates for Solus)
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet static
    address IP
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast IP
    post-up route add NODE.IP.ENDING.IN.254 dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw NODE.IP.ENDING.IN.254
    post-down route del NODE.IP.ENDING.IN.254 dev eth0
    post-down route del default gw NODE.IP.ENDING.IN.254
    Thanks in advance.
    CLIENT:
    Hello,
    SolusVM overwrites the configutation in the template.
    It's generating that networking configuration when you create a VM.
    Now what we are looking for is a way to customize that configuration.
    Preferable something like a blueprint with variables who differ per IP block and OS.
    As for as I know that's not present yet, is it maybe ever going to be in?
    Thank you in advance.
    STAFF:
    Hi,
    I will need to escalate this ticket to management and they will look into it and come back to you shortly.
    Thanks.
    STAFF:
    Hi,
    I understand what you mean. We use OVH ourselves, however not for vps.
    We don't support there networking as of yet. There is good new though. OVH are changing parts of there system to allow vps via special routes on the host node. They are currently in testing. They have aslo given no ETA."

• @Jack: Got a link?

• Oh wow.

@John_R said: Oh wow.

As I said, they dont give a f**k for kimsufi and other little customers, not for bigger ones for that matter.
    I guess it has to be that way, they cant deal with thousands of DDoSes a day and millions of tickets.
    If you are trouble-free, cool, if not, choose a provider that offers some support/protection/management.
    That will not come at the same price tho.

• @Jack is this much different from null route? Because that's what most providers would do (except some of those who specialize in DDoS protected services).

• @Jack at least you can login and access your data then? With nullroute you can't reach your server (if it only has one IP address).

• @jack it doesn't get cancelled on the first attack from what i understand? LEB wasn't cancelled at Linode either, it was just nullrouted several times for 24 hours so LEA decided to cancel it himself and move it elsewhere...

• @jack so you were given a warning and a way to get the server out of rescue mode and restore normal operation? And if the same problem happens for a second time - you get cancelled then. I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to deal with recurring problems from the same customer...

• @Jack ok, that sux then. At least a warning for first offense and a way to continue after that would be reasonable.

• So to generate lots of ill will toward kimsufi, all you need to do is DDOS their entire netblock 1 IP at a time?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2012

I was on the fence about hanging onto my KimSufi, but being as I'd need to make it an all purpose box for it to be worth the price I'm pretty nervous about having my backups in the same place as a few websites. Anybody want my N2800?

Edit: Assuming there's a sensible way to transfer the account without my personal info being retained.

I doubt OVH will agree to transfers.
    Look, I was probably misunderstood, English is not my primary language, what I wanted to say is that you will not have the same kind of personal touch from a big company as with a small one.
    It is the nature of things, however, there is a fine line, when the big company cannot be bothered to even look into something and kills everything at first problem, I think that is crossing the line.
    Enforcing the rules, fine, but make it damn sure you say clearly in ToS that any problem will delete ther service and customer loses everything.

• @Jack "only" rescue mode? they were putting my server in "FTP Only".. :P

• Yep, and you know the reason why they put my server in FTP-Only? just because i put the wrong vMac in one of my client's VPS (bad copy paste) -___-"

• @Jack said: You can just move contacts i think.

Just had a look at it, all my personal info is in the emails section and I can't see a way to get rid unfortunately.

@Jack said: How did @MartinD never have this issue?

Maybe just lucky so far or kimsufi has other policy.
    I think MartinD already had enough problems with OVH...

• We've had our fair share of issues like this. It's not the original issue or "Anti Hack" or whatever that's the problem, it's how you deal with it once you've received notification. The notice mentioned about about "Your server has been hacked X times" goes away eventually and you can change from netboot back to local.

Your best bet is to reply to the anti-hack ticket and tell them what you are going to do or what you have done to resolve the problem. Last problem I had (April, I think) where they put it in to rescue and refused access I spoke to Oles and haven't had a problem since.

• i remember a page to transfer services like domain or server
    it asks you the ovh number of owner and the number of new owner , dont know what happens then :) @nekki