Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good hosting forums besides LET and vpsB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good hosting forums besides LET and vpsB?

See title.

Looking to connect with people who are interested in hosting in general, preferably those with higher budgets than most LET members (hah no offense guys).

No WHT plz we all know that forum is crap.

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

There aren't that many good forums out there. Maybe Digital Point?

• Hm I thought DP died several years ago?

• blackblack Member

angrysnarl said: Hm I thought DP died several years ago?

Nah, people love "DP."

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2015

Webmasterworld, you'll have guys there hosting hundreds of sites. No blatant self-promotion, but if you participate you'll get referrals from your profile. Members there tend to have been in the online game for a while. Not as busy as it used to be, but will still frequented by xx,xxx/day

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited July 2015

hostingdiscussion.com is another one.

Threads: 36,905
    Members: 19,450

• Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep

I stumbled across this one recently, its very small but I could see some people using it.

https://thecomputercrowd.net/

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

angrysnarl said: No WHT plz we all know that forum is crap.

How exactly is WHT crap? Considering the requirements you listed in your initial post:

Looking to connect with people who are interested in hosting in general, preferably those with higher budgets than most LET members (hah no offense guys).

I'm neither pro nor con WHT in general, but in this particular case based on your requirements, it'll be a good place to connect with people interested in higher budget hosting than LET.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2015

HBAndrei said: How exactly is WHT crap?

Because the majority of WHT discussions revolve around "I need a server for $5", which leads to a new post "X provider is shit", and don't forget about one sentence replies for signature spam.

While the majority of hosting forums follow this behaviour, I find the public areas of WHT more toxic than others.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ HostNun
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited July 2015

@telephone said:

Did you mean:

"I need X hosting for X reason"

-

"You should get XX hosting. Look at the forums!"

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2015

@Jonchun said:

"You should get XX hosting. Look at the forums!"

"You should get XX hosting with YY in ZZ location!"

signature: "providing XX hosting with YY in ZZ"

The thing I hate most about WHT is when they say something like "any server with less than 2GB RAM will have worst performance than shared hosting"

• @hostnoob said:
    The thing I hate most about WHT is when they say something like "any server with less than 2GB RAM will have worst performance than shared hosting"

So true. And don't forget the users who give advice as if they know shit.

• angrysnarl said: And don't forget the users who give advice as if they know shit.

Everybody knows shit. :)

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • HostMyBytesHostMyBytes Member
    edited July 2015

raindog308 said: hostingdiscussion.com is another one.

HostingDiscussion is pretty good, but it's often slow and there are not a lot of buyers there. It's mainly providers.

vpsBoard (lots of pros there) and LET (gotta love the lewd humor, @black) are my favorite forums

I would say the biggest negative element to wht is all of the fake conversation that happens so that users can show their signatures. How many times do you have to ask a poster what their needs are when they open a thread, heh??

Thanked by 2angrysnarl sin
  • sinsin Member

angrysnarl said: So true. And don't forget the users who give advice as if they know shit.

I rage a little inside everytime I see some of the stupid shit from "hosts" or WHT regulars being posted.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jbiloh said: I would say the biggest negative element to wht is all of the fake conversation that happens so that users can show their signatures. How many times do you have to ask a poster what their needs are when they open a thread, heh??

"Check the offers"

Translation: "read my sig"

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • @raindog308 said:

Ad block :D

raindog308 said: "Check the offers"

Translation: "read my sig"

Precisely. I rarely go to WHT these days, and if it weren't part of my job I would never visit the site.

• @Ole_Juul said:

>

I mean I hate it when the same people give the same advice over and over they sound like a broken record. What's worse is they sometimes have no idea what they're talking about, they just repeat what other people have said a thousand times already and they think it's 100% applicable in all cases.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • jhjh Member
    edited July 2015

LET is good for people on shoestring budgets who like drama.

VPSB is good for people who mostly just care about the drama and don't really need hosting at all.

WHT is good for those who want false hope about their marketing prospects.

I only know of one quality forum dedicated to hosting and it's UK only and it's mostly a "private club" of established UK businesses.

Truth is, most people who are looking for hosting use a search engine or personal recommendation. Equally, serious hosting companies don't waste their time having petty disputes on forums. Why do you think some Google hosting-related keywords cost crazy amounts per click whereas the world's largest hosting forum struggles to find members willing to cough up $50/year?

People on these forums often think that companies' reputations on that particular forum are important to maintain. WHT really emphasises this with their paid memberships. A very deluded view in my opinion. LET drama is a guilty pleasure of mine but I don't care what people here think of me or my company - because it's such a tiny detail in my life and I can manage just fine without them.

Thanked by 2angrysnarl lazyt

I found that entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Good summary of wht.

• Lets create our own.

Anyone down, PM me or contact me on IRC.