Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google's Mod-Pagespeed, what are you doing to speed up your page speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google's Mod-Pagespeed, what are you doing to speed up your page speed?

ztecztec Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hello,

You probably all have heard of mod-pagespeed from Google and since the search engines now calculate your pagespeed towards your ''SEO-points", it has become more and more important how fast your page loads.

What are you currently doing to improve your pagespeed?
I'm having some trouble with using mod_deflate correctly, I can't seem to figure out a good configuration. (Hope somebody a little for more experienced on this matter can help me setup a decent mod_deflate config, my current pagespeed insight rating for the site is just 41)

Discuss. :)

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

79 / 100 Is this decent?

What is the page you are testing?

• "The page IPXcore LLC — Hosting and Virtualizat... got an overall PageSpeed Score of 76 (out of 100)."

And I find our website to be extremely slow and bloated. I don't know how you'd manage a 41...

• I will both send you the url but please do not share this, thank you.

• It'd probably be useful if you told us your site's url :P

With pagespeed, you can just go down the list of 'errors' it's picking up and theoretically, once you've fixed them your pagespeed score should improve.

I'm currently getting 96/100 on Gatsby; the errors are largely down to external sites I'm pulling javascript/css from.

• I just can't get the compression to work, I followed several tutorials but google's still pointing out that compression should be activated.

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2012

@ElliotJ said: It'd probably be useful if you told us your site's url :P

The site is not legal in many countries but it still is in mine, using this site is actually forbidden in some countries. It's nzb related and I don't want the url to be linked to me in a public place as LET.

TBH, using mod-speed here even lowered the score from 51 to 41.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Brandon said: 79 / 100 Is this decent?

No as you can get up to 96/100, need to tweak the .htaccess and code.

@Brandon said: What is the page you are testing?

try using the following URL to test:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited November 2012
     The page ... got an overall PageSpeed Score of 92 (out of 100). Learn more 

cpanel + nginxadmin. so i don't need that pagespeed :P

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2012

I also have an nginx reversed proxy from plesk 11.

• Can you PM me the link also?

• The page http://CENSORED got an overall PageSpeed Score of 100 (out of 100). Learn more

:)

• Nice, how'd you manage?

• pure HTML... :D

• chache, minify, merge js and css, optimize images, sprite images are some of the basics but the list goes on...

• @Mon5t3r the cpanel/directadmin plugins for nginx generally suck as they're just acting as a caching front, and not an actual webserver, pagespeed tends to be more about the actual content than the speed of delivering, my technical blog gets 99/100, while it's on straight nginx+php-fpm, it could likely retain that same score on a cpanel set up without nginx in front.

• we use varnish cache

• http://www.webpagetest.org/result/121111_1R_A75/1/pagespeed/

99/100 , didn't get 100/100 only because it claims I could have reduced the CSS another 1% for it.

• I use Nginx so I can't use Pagespeed. But for the most part the default Tuxlite installation script with W3 Total Cache make my site fast enough.

• You could also use minify script/builder to compress JS & CSS

http://code.google.com/p/minify/

• @StormVZ said: You could also use minify script/builder to compress JS & CSS

That one should be really good for my wordpress sites, thanks!

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

@ztec said: It's nzb related and I don't want the url to be linked to me in a public place as LET.

As a usenet user, I'm interested, and I only know of one NZB site that's banned in a few countries. The site I use scored a 26/100, haha.

• 95/100 for SB mostly 3rd party JS lowering the score.

• @wdq don't really need to use it, the module is mainly just helpful in identifying and suggesting areas to improve upon, a tad more indepth than an online tool would. So there's no real need to have a pagespeed module for nginx.

There is however an nginx module (native to nginx, not 3rd party) called Google Perftool module.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited November 2012

95/100 with mod_pagespeed + varnish + apache2
    91/100 with varnish + apache2

Site was wordpress, with large images, youtube videos.

The module actually does do some enhancements, like compressing images, removing whitespace from CSS files, combining files.

• 95/100 with WordPress + W3TC on bog standard cPanel/Apache shared. Just need to optimize images, script ordering, blah blah..

• Thanks for your input.