Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RHCE salaries in other countries
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RHCE salaries in other countries

Hi,

If any of you are RHCE qualified what do you earn in say Europe or the US.

I'm in Africa and trying to get an idea of 1st world salaries for this cert.

I've got a British passport so EU travel is always an option in the future.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Depends on experience.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/JobSearch/Results.aspx?Keywords=RHCE&LTxt=London&Radius=30

UK stable salary around 50 - 60k GBP or as a contractor around £350 - £400 p/day.

But having the qualification is not enough, you need to be able to show experience and 110% pass technical tests to get your foot in the door otherwise you can half that and forget contracting and start at the bottom.

• ehabehab Member

everyone must start at the bottom otherwise they'll fall.

Thanked by 2niceboy adxn
  • Its depends on the company, depends on the country and depends on your experience.

RHCE with zero real world experience will get you nothing more than tier 1 tech salary, RHCE with 5-10 years corporate experience can get you upwards of £100k, if you add CCIE to that then add another £50-75k/year.

Thanked by 2deadbeef adxn
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    RHCE with zero real world experience will get you nothing more than tier 1 tech salary, RHCE with 5-10 years corporate experience can get you upwards of £100k, if you add CCIE to that then add another £50-75k/year.

RHCEs are a dime a dozen...and there are tons of Linx admins can't be bothered.

CCIEs are a lot rarer and people with CCIE-equivalent knowledge are also rare. A CCIE is a lot more valuable than a RHCE.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

raindog308 said: RHCEs are a dime a dozen

Sure you're not thinking RHCSA? RHCE is a lot tougher.

• @ehab said:
    everyone must start at the bottom otherwise they'll fall.

Ah, so that's why all the hedge fund managers, bankers etc. used to flip burgers - an insurance against falling :)

• ehabehab Member

@deadbeef said:

maybe their fathers or else did it for them before.

• @ehab said:

Most probably. So if your family has money, you don't have to start from the bottom. :)

• @raindog308 - It depends on where you're working. For example RHCE (not RHCSA which is garbage) with 5-10 years of corporate experience is worth a lot in the corporate market. We hire RHCE, CCIE and JNCIE.

For networking work, CCIE is great but JNCIE is worth more to us. We have no Cisco routing or switching left in our core network. CCIE I would say has diminished in value in the SP market, where as JNCIE has increased as Juniper has taken more of the larger SP routing market.

For us, we're looking for qualification + experience; qualification has no value for us without the experience.

Thanked by 1deadbeef

@Jar said:
    Sure you're not thinking RHCSA? RHCE is a lot tougher.

Oh, I wasn't disrespecting it (though experience is more important). Most certs are worthless because you can google dumps (exact Q & A) online. But the RHCE is one of the few (along with OCM, CCIE) actually make you test hands-on.

I just see a lot more RHCEs on resumes. I think there are less than 50,000 CCIEs ever issued in the world (and if course many are retired/changed jobs by now). The RHCE seems a lot more common though I don't have figures.

Thanked by 1jar
  • amhoabamhoab Member

Honestly, having an RHCE will only help you greatly if you have experience. I've interviewed a lot of people, and have no bias towards candidates withwith RHCEs. On the contrary, when a candidate touts it, I make sure I drill hard into concepts covered in it. It could be a double-edged sword. Some candidates do okay, but most struggle. They spend a few weeks practicing the RHCE material, pass it, and forget it. I don't axe them for that, though, unless they fail on something we really care about; it'd be a unicorn to find someone who really kept up with the material post-cert.

In terms of salary, it can range widely based on experience. Note that I said experience, not cert. You can easily make >$100k with solid knowledge. One great thing about the industry is that years of experience isn't necessarily what's measured, but rather, what you know and what you're capable of. Two years of Frank's experience could outweigh Joe's five years of experience. Keep the passion and you'll go far.

amhoab said: Two years of Frank's experience could outweigh Joe's five years of experience.

On the other hand, one week at Jonny's will probably get you blacklisted everywhere.

Thanked by 1Infinity