Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Layer.ae Free IPv6 VPS for developers :-)
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Layer.ae Free IPv6 VPS for developers :-)

rskrsk Member, Provider

Many of you are familiar with MyRSK, and the great service that we provide since 2009. Many providers come and go, but we are here to stay :-)

Layer is devoting its resources and employees to help many developers world wide, who have the capability of building great applications, websites, and scripts.

Therefore, we have built a platform named "Layer Dev", with a single purpose of helping out developers by providing them free virtual servers where they can work on their projects and scripts for absolutely no charge.

These VPSs come with 2x CPU cores, 256MB of ram, 10GB of RAID HDD, 500GB of Bandwidth on gigabit speeds, and a /64 of IPv6. If the developers think it is not enough, they can donate an amount of their choice (even if it is $1) to double their resources for the lifetime of their account.

The free tier plans come with some limitations to avoid abuse, such as no mailing, tor, torrenting, etc.

Visit our site to subscribe for an early access to the BETA : http://dev.layer.ae

As always, we welcome new ideas to better deploy the Dev platform :-)

Comments

• Will chuck ya a dollar

Different.

• gianggiang Member

Subscribed, hope my ISP would deploy IPv6 next year ;)

€5 Enterprise VPS from Evolution Host
    SellSSL.com - Comodo PositiveSSL from $7 per year!

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

ugh mailchimp doesn't like https finder so no clue if I signed up or not

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• Signed up can't wait :)

Different.

• NyrNyr Member

This stuff is really cool!

• I'll drop a dollar too :)

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

• NomadNomad Member

What's the virtualization platform, may I ask?

• I'm not sure about the virtualization, but it's probably OpenVZ.

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

• utamautama Member

i will donate :)

• cassacassa Member, Provider

Signed up!

ik moet poepen

• RalliasRallias Member, Provider

Can we please use a word other than "donate" when referring to a for-profit business? Pretty please?

• rskrsk Member, Provider

@4n0nx said:
    ugh mailchimp doesn't like https finder so no clue if I signed up or not

Pm me the email. I will check it out for you :)

@Nomad said:
    What's the virtualization platform, may I ask?

Currently openvz, with an option in the future to deploy kvm :)

@Rallias said:
    Can we please use a word other than "donate" when referring to a for-profit business? Pretty please?

The dev part of Layer is not for profit. The donations will help add more nodes, additional features, etc.

• Registered and can't wait more =)

rsk said: The dev part of Layer is not for profit. The donations will help add more nodes, additional features, etc.

So the dev part is completely separated, with a 501(c) or similar foreign designation?

@Rallias said:
    So the dev part is completely separated, with a 501(c) or similar foreign designation?

There is no "foreign designation". It is completely separated from our paying platform. Even if the developer wants to move to our paying platform then the whole vps is migrated out of Layer Dev and all things will be handled by Layer. Not dev.

rsk said: There is no "foreign designation". It is completely separated from our paying platform. Even if the developer wants to move to our paying platform then the whole vps is migrated out of Layer Dev and all things will be handled by Layer. Not dev.

So, no.

Thanked by 1sekjun9878
  • Signed up, when should I expect the service to go "Public"?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

rsk said: Pm me the email. I will check it out for you :)

thx I did it in chrome

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

• NomadNomad Member

@rsk said:
    Currently openvz, with an option in the future to deploy kvm :)

KVM or XEN or any virtualization would be good indeed.
    Well, we're all looking forward to get in ^^

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Nomad said: we're all looking forward to get in

That's what they said ö_ö

• NomadNomad Member

@4n0nx said:
    That's what they said ö_ö

Poor you :P

Thanked by 14n0nx

TheOnlyDK said: Signed up, when should I expect the service to go "Public"?

Just to update you guys, it is most likely that you get your welcome emails by today. Once you receive the email, you can use the order link to get your free VPS.

Unfortunately, it is a first come first serve approach, that is due to the sheer amount of signups we received. Rest assured, most of you will get your free VPSs though, if not in the first batch, definitely in the coming ones.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Did anyone get his VPS yesterday? I didn't.
    I'd expect to see at least a few 'thank you'/feedback posts if VPSs had really been delivered (as announceded by OP)... It's a bit odd to see zero replies by now .

• @farsighter said:
    Did anyone get his VPS yesterday? I didn't.
    I'd expect to see at least a few 'thank you'/feedback posts if VPSs had really been delivered (as announceded by OP)... It's a bit odd to see zero replies by now .

Same here, I got no email.

€5 Enterprise VPS from Evolution Host
    SellSSL.com - Comodo PositiveSSL from $7 per year!

• @Rallias From dōnāre to give.

• Do these have IPv4 ports like LES or are they purely IPv6?

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Nope.

• still waiting

Priority was given to current clients. Dont worry, my word is my word and i never failed to deliver.

Patience is a virtue and remember there are more than 300 signups.

Felt its better to do single mails insteinstead of mass to avoid spamming those who are still in the queue.

@hostnoob said:
    Do these have IPv4 ports like LES or are they purely IPv6?

They have a single port to allow you to ssh in via an ipv4 address.

Thanked by 2hostnoob Pwner
  • @rsk might want to change your pic to something that does not look like taken from an ISIS video

Thanked by 1rm_

• @4n0nx said:
    rsk might want to change your pic to something that does not look like taken from an ISIS video

Harsh

Different.

• You tell me why there's something that looks like a leash...

@4n0nx said:
    You tell me why there's something that looks like a leash...

That is the national dress in the uae worn by me. You can google uae national clothes to see :)

Thanked by 1Prestige
  • rsk said: That is the national dress in the uae worn by me. You can google uae national clothes to see :)

http://aroundtheworldin1000days.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/NationalDay24.jpg

aaahh ok. thx for making me a little less ignorant

• @rsk said:
    That is the national dress in the uae worn by me. You can google uae national clothes to see :)

Is that a requirement, or just because it's so hot over there you want something light?

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

rsk said: they can donate an amount of their choice (even if it is $1) to double their resources for the lifetime of their account.

That's not "donating". That's pay-what-you-want. Donations necessarily yield nothing directly in return - that's what makes them donations.

Calling it "donating" is misleading, non-profit or not.

Thanked by 24n0nx ucxo

@hostnoob said:

Not really a requirement but we do wear it casually if its without the head piece.

Mostly i wear shorts though :)

• Still waiting O.O
    Wondering host fast do they deliver out those servers

• @justin4869 said:
    Still waiting O.O
    Wondering host fast do they deliver out those servers

Another month or two.

• RadiRadi Member, Provider

@rsk said:
    Not really ;)

More :).

4 GB RAM/90 GB SSD/4 TB Traffic/KVM/1 IPv4 for $7/mo only here with coupon code "LET-It-GO".

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2015

@rsk said:
    Not really ;)

Well, once you release it, then you can come back and say that, in bold. That will make everyone happy :)

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Well, once you release it, then you can come back and say that, in bold.

You guys are pretty rude and demanding for a free service given by @rsk. The fact that he's offering this is pretty nice and generous.

In b4 ppl call me suckup/buttkisser/bootlicker.

• @Pwner said:
    In b4 ppl call me suckup/buttkisser/bootlicker.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but my point is not to abuse the word "soon". While I appreciate @rsk for the free service, but it would be great if I actually get the service not just words of free service. In other words, don't advertise something when it's not ready, even if it's free.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Sorry if I sounded rude, but my point is not to abuse the word "soon". While I appreciate rsk for the free service, but it would be great if I actually get the service not just words of free service. In other words, don't advertise something when it's not ready, even if it's free.

First come first served. If you're late to party then it's your own fault.

This the reason why mostly this of type projects are closed. You guys blame @rsk for not providing free service ASAP For only you and don't care about others.

Overall, Go complain for service you have paid.

Thanked by 10xdragon

Trying to be positive and friendly :)

• @alexvolk said:
    Overall, Go complain for service you have paid.

There are many users on here not getting it, and I'm not complaining. Saying it's coming late isn't complaining.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    There are many users on here not getting it, and I'm not complaining. Saying it's coming late isn't complaining.

Ok, what project you're planning to develop ASAP if you get free vps?

Let see if anyone would be interested in giving you free vps ASAP without waiting and placing ADS.

@rsk cancel all current vps, require open source projects only and with backlink something like this "we've developed this project thankfully by using free vps provided by layer.ae".

I'm sure almost %99 of current vps will be used for something different

Thanked by 1vimalware

Trying to be positive and friendly :)