Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS, "inflated" queries?

I have just started using Rage4 DNS,
I have set up a BRAND NEW domain, set up NS and pointed the domain (at namesilo) to vanity NS set up at Rage4.
I now have over 200 DNS queries in 1 hr,
I don't see how that could be possible?

Comments

• sonicsonic Veteran

Search Engine crawlers, etc..

• rds100rds100 Member

Maybe some sort of monitoring? Get a virgin / unused VPS somewhere, point your domain to a nameserver with that VPS's IP, run tcpdump and log all port 53 traffic for an hour. See what kind of queries you get and from where.

• On a just registered domain? with nothing hosted?

• rds100rds100 Member

I've seen many "what domains were registered today" lists, i imagine those do trigger some crawlers. As i said point the DNS to a VPS under your control, fire a tcpdump and see what queries you receive.

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited July 2015

That calculates to ~70,000 queries a month just on "background" queries.
    With only 250,000 free, If I was to add 4 domains I would go over the free thresh-hold.
    Anyone else use Rage4? What sort of monthly queries do you see?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Usually i see arround xxx.xxx queries per month, with a used domain.

Unsued arround 1-5k per Month i think.

PS: No gurrantees, "i remember these"

• @infinity high or low xxx.xxx's? 100,000 or 999,999?
    Seems like Rage4 free tier is not very useful then,
    I remember a provider had a $10ish a year unlimited tier with Rage4? Anyone know who?

• rds100rds100 Member

bohdans said: I remember a provider had a $10ish a year unlimited tier with Rage4? Anyone know who?

prometeus? I think it's even free if you have some other service from them.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    Thanked by 1bohdans
  • gTLDs are pretty much public knowledge when they get registered, expire or deleted. I assume you have a gTLD.

I've seen similar with other 3rd party DNS services I use.

Lots of people have large lists of domains for various reasons and a DNS lookup is often part of their data collection.

• Yes its a gTLD, might just go back to hosting my own DNS

• AltAlt Member
    edited July 2015

@bohdans: you can also have a look at Hurricane Electric's free DNS service: https://dns.he.net/

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • @bohdans You're not alone. Last time when i'm using them my website with no traffic also can get up to 350k query per month.

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • @alt, thanks that was my second choice, was hoping to have "geo" based DNS returns.
    Self hosted PowerDNS can do that I believe.

bohdans said: @alt, thanks that was my second choice, was hoping to have "geo" based DNS returns.

Self hosted PowerDNS can do that I believe.

I don't think you understand the benefits of of Anycast DNS and the Rage4 service. That's not a simple PowerDNS hosted locally...

• @clouvider I understand Anycast etc... was not worried about that, I current have 3 DNS servers running without issues.
    What I was hoping to utilise was the GeoDNS where you can return a different IP based on where the request came from, I.E. direct US request to a US node and EU request to a EU node, all using the same DNS record.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Yeah, we are getting a lot of questions regarding the number of queries. From our experience the main sources of requests on low traffic domains are mail servers and other services which utilize TXT/SPF records. We are working on new version of our DNS backend which will collect more details so we can present it to user. Another good news is that we are going to change the pricing a little bit and increase the free usage tier.

@bohdans - please open support ticket and we will take a look

bohdans said: Anyone else use Rage4? What sort of monthly queries do you see?

We host around 50k domains and 75% fits into free usage tier

Thanked by 2bohdans aglodek
  • We had asked the same question to Rage4 and the reply was as follows:

Hello

We basically count raw requests received by our DNS endpoints. We do not affect usage statistics in any way.

With regards
    Rage4 Support 

@bohdans said:
    I have just started using Rage4 DNS,
    I have set up a BRAND NEW domain, set up NS and pointed the domain (at namesilo) to vanity NS set up at Rage4.
    I now have over 200 DNS queries in 1 hr,
    I don't see how that could be possible?

• rds100 said: prometeus? I think it's even free if you have some other service from them.

How does that work? Do you still get access to all the features of Rage4 and use their website to configure everything, or do you have to configure the domains through Prometeus' WHMCS?

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@Chronic said:

You still have access to everything, so you're able to use the normal Rage4 control panel. Also, Prometeus offers an account with unlimited queries (fair-use) for 12€/year if you don't wanna have one of their products which includes Rage4. (IWStack does, not sure about others)

It's just strange that Rage4 doesn't offer more attractive pricing by themself, it always feel bad to use Prometeus ~ but the "original" pricing would be way too expensive and risky for my budget. Everyone could search for Rage4 powered domains and "DDoS" them to ruin some guy...

Thanked by 1Chronic

NeoXiD said: Everyone could search for Rage4 powered domains and "DDoS" them to ruin some guy...

Everyone can find your's server IP address and DDoS it, or keep downloading a file again and again, and ruin you with overage fees that you will end up paying to the service provider. How is that different ?

• I recently started using Rage4 after having a slight falling out with cloudflare.

I also previously have used cloudns which are ok, although they don't use anycast so you'd have to point the domain and several DNS servers which is a bit tiresome. That said dead cheap and they seemed responsive enough.

dragon2611 said: they don't use anycast so you'd have to point the domain and several DNS servers which is a bit tiresome.

That won't give you the same effect of improving DNS latency.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@Clouvider said:

Most providers notify you when getting over your quota and/or suspend your VPS when your limit gets reached. Sounds way more sane than with Rage4, where I could easily end up with >100€ fees. Also, a few million DNS queries are way easier and faster to do than using up tons of traffic - the attacker is even able to spoof the source IP.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Clouvider said: Everyone can find your's server IP address and DDoS it, or keep downloading a file again and again, and ruin you with overage fees that you will end up paying to the service provider. How is that different ?

That's why you get DDoS protected with unmetered bandwidth...

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • @4n0nx, Any providers in the LEB space do that?

• So the DNS queries seem to have slowed down, ~800 in 24 hours.
    I'll wait and see how it settles before opening a call.
    Interesting though I turned logging on a long standing domain I have, only getting ~30 requests a day total for DNS queries.

• rds100rds100 Member

bohdans said: Interesting though I turned logging on a long standing domain I have, only getting ~30 requests a day total for DNS queries.

Register another brand new domain and try immediately logging the queries it gets. Maybe new domains get a lot of queries and then it slows down.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

@Clouvider said: ... ruin some guy

That my friend, is why credit cards have limits. When shopping online, I either use PayPal or a credit card with 1000 dollar limit or less, so I don't lose too much in case it does actually happen.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

bohdans said: Any providers in the LEB space do that?

online.net, ovh, servdiscount, webtropia, blazingfast... and so many more o.o

doghouch said: That my friend, is why credit cards have limits. When shopping online, I either use PayPal or a credit card with 1000 dollar limit or less, so I don't lose too much in case it does actually happen.

Ooor just choose a provider that suspends your VPS/product unless you explicitly stated that you want to be billed for overages..