Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk - no more sig links!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk - no more sig links!

angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
edited July 2015 in General

Today, I noticed that a lot of WHT members have signatures full of bbcode. At first I thought it was a bug, but it seems WHT intentionally changed sig permissions such that only corporate members and mods are allowed to have links in their sigs.

I'm not a host so I'm not affected by this but I wonder if this will reduce overall member participation on the WHT forums... I mean most members there post for the sake of flashing their sigs anyway.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• cociucociu Member

personally i hate WHT so more rapidd gone more content i am :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2015
  • The_creatorThe_creator Member
    edited July 2015

I too was wondering what was happening while browsing on mobile thought might just be my connection or something.

• samblingsambling Member
    edited July 2015

There's been no mention of any change of this kind (and clearly not "paid only gets a sig"), so it's very likely a misstep in permissions in the back end, which can be tricky. We've let the folks that handle that know there's a problem needs looking at.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1499499&p=9496804

Bear claims a mishap... Seems strange though.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Its fixed now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@dillybob - needs a video.

• They claimed permissions issue on it.

Interesting to see the more recent rankings on the site. It sure is a powerhouse, but it's not looking good:
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/webhostingtalk.com

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • KodisKodis Member

alexa rank looks tragic for them

• turns out it wasn't intentional haha

• smansman Member

There is a lot of noise on that board. Most of the new threads are fly by night hosters spamming the joint. A lot of posts in legit information threads are hosts just looking for a reason to spam their sig for SEO.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@sman said:
    A lot of posts in legit information threads are hosts just looking for a reason to spam their sig for SEO.

Because they all do it for totally other reasons on any other forums such as VPSB or LET?

• @HBAndrei said:

I feel like Let is more close knit and signaturE spam here isn't as prominent. (And most SIG's are just personal blogs or affiliate links)

• Its just a error ,They already fixed it ,

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

BlaZe said: Its fixed now.

Shamildx said: Its just a error ,They already fixed it ,

• sinsin Member

sman said: There is a lot of noise on that board. Most of the new threads are fly by night hosters spamming the joint. A lot of posts in legit information threads are hosts just looking for a reason to spam their sig for SEO.

Yup, half of the hosts/posters don't even read the actual content of the thread and just put anything related to the thread title in their post just to spam their sig or they take any little chance to slam another host.

• vedranvedran Veteran

Why so many WHT threads lately?

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @Infinity580 Nailed it with Titanic. :D

• HostMyBytesHostMyBytes Member
    edited July 2015

Jonchun said: I feel like Let is more close knit and signaturE spam here isn't as prominent. (And most SIG's are just personal blogs or affiliate links)

Sigs here are much shorter and they're less obtrusive. I think it's 2 lines max, rather than 4 and being multicolored. They're easier to overlook that way, if you want to overlook them.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

If it was not a mistake then its a good decision but it will decrease post and threads but they should pay fine for members who pay them for flashing signature. ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

@HostMyBytes said:
    Sigs here are much shorter and they're less obtrusive. I think it's 2 lines max, rather than 4 and being multicolored. They're easier to overlook that way, if you want to overlook them.

Not to mention we tear people apart for doing that kind of crap here. Useless posts do not go without being noticed, repeat offenders become very clear to the community.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vedran said: Why so many WHT threads lately?

0:52

@Jar said:
    Not to mention we tear people apart for doing that kind of crap here. Useless posts do not go without being noticed, repeat offenders become very clear to the community.

I would simply say, "Agree", but I don't want to be accused of sig flashing :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I'll be afraid to send short, but meaningful, responses now :P

• AmitzAmitz Member

What's your budget?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Amitz Check the offers section

Thanked by 2Amitz jar
  • @Imran520 said:
    Watch youtube videos online from here http://www.videoonline.pk/

wat

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@gibster said:

Good thing you've quoted his spam, to make sure it remains here even after his post got deleted ;)

/s