Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftEther - How do you connect via OS VPN protocol or via SoftEther client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the benefits of the client vs the VPN's that OS supports? e.g. when would I opt to use the client over say IPSEC on the local OS?

Thanks,

Comments

• for windows, just do l2tp, make sure you have the shared key inserted.
    the main advantage i think is the ease of setting up with the softether client.

• I tend to use the Softether VPN client on Windows and OpenVPN on OSX.

The client will try it's hardest to punch through firewalls including falling back to VPN over ICMP/DNS

• Tunnelblick on OSX, Softether VPN client on Windoze, Softether vpn client on linux

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    Tunnelblick on OSX, Softether VPN client on Windoze, Softether vpn client on linux

Why Tunneblick on OSX and not the SoftEther client itself?

• ivanhivanh Member
    edited July 2015

@jeromeza said:
    Why Tunneblick on OSX and not the SoftEther client itself?

Because it's an experimental versions and they don't recommend for us to use it

I haven't used it on mac before, but I assume its quite buggy

• NomadNomad Member

What they recommend is using the builtin native VPN function of os x and that works ok.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited July 2015

@ivanh said:
    I haven't used it on mac before, but I assume its quite buggy

I could never get the damn tap/tun driver to be seen by the OSX client

@Nomad said:
    What they recommend is using the builtin native VPN function of os x and that works ok.

It really doesn't on some Natted networks that prevent the IPSEC part of the IPSEC/L2TP from working properly, and I'd not want to be using PPTP thesedays, which basically leaves Ovpn and a 3rd party client.