Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SATA3 vs SAS2 speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SATA3 vs SAS2 speed?

WHTWHT Member

Am about to buy a OVH server to host tons of my websites.
Is there a IO speed difference between SATA3 and SAS2?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2015

As i remember:

SATA2: 300MB/s max and SATA 3: 600MB/s

So if you using some kind of SSD setup go with SATA3, or some kind of other configuration which could get over 300MB/s.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

WHT said: Is there a IO speed difference between SATA3 and SAS2?

yes, there is. The limiting factor is the number of IOPS and SAS2 beats any SATA flat at it. In terms of linear transfer, there is not much difference.
    You should consider a lot of caching first (RAM), then storage, if you have a lot of sites with many visitors generally looking for about the same things. Caching helps anyway, especially for mysql, even if the requests vary wildly.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Infinity580 said: As i remember:

SATA2: 300MB/s max and SATA 3: 600MB/s

So if you using some kind of SSD setup go with SATA3, or some kind of other configuration which could get over 300MB/s.

He asked for SAS2 vs SATA3.

SAS2 != SATA2

Completely different protocols.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

We can't tell you much just by the technology used to connect the drive. What drives are you looking into ? Do you know the models ?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

SAS has the advantage of being able to write and read at the same time (within the same clock cycle) - With HDDs this is mainly useless but with SSDs it can get you high improvements in IOPS.

Speed wise both are the same, SAS2 is 6Gbit and SATA3 is 6Gbit as well (SAS3 is 12Gbit, SATA4 is not standard'd yet but will be 12 as well)

Thanked by 1Clouvider