Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use your VPS(s)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use your VPS(s)

RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

In know this has been answered with the usuals (game servers, web servers, vpns, etc.), but does anyone have some creative uses for a VPS? Here are a few of my most used VPSes:

4GB @ RamNode powering web servers
1GB @ RamNode powering CraftStats pings (slave 1)
1GB @ RamNode powering CraftStats pings (slave 2)
A variety of 128MBs for backups
512mb for a VPN

There are a few others, but all fairly boring.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

LOL

I was JUST thinking to make a post of it... i was bored a little bit, so I installed qemu and put.. Windows 3.11 ! hahaha

• watch hulu

• Most for fun :(

1 128MB BuyVM: Running a website.
    1 1GB SSD URPad special: Running a billing system
    1 1GB BudgetVM: Running a landing page for a stupid website =) And testing low end scripts, install apps (I'm a Linux newbie)
    2 SpotVPS 256MB: Running a website based on OpenAtrium, another one is running Siwapp

And much more but I don't remember what I'm running with them :\

• Installing Telephone's looking glass :p

• I have 12 VPSes
    I only run 2 websites
    Each website gets about 10 requests a day

lol.

Yeah I have a problem.

• putty.

• I've got uses for all my VPSs (OpenVPN, ownCloud, torrents, offsite backups), but I can't work out what to do with my KimSufi dedi to make it worth the monthly outlay :-/

• @nekki re: kimsufi: storage/backup (for you, family/friends)? Run openvz?

Damn. Now I'm installing Windows 95.

• also learning. because its fastor to install things to a VPS rather than my own local. Because my internet at home is so slow compared to a VPS. So just reinstall VPS OS and install whatever I like to study.

Thanked by 1rahoolm

@jcaleb said: because its fastor to install things to a VPS rather than my own local.

+10000 true! I even sometimes download things on the VPS and then transfer it to my pc

Thanked by 1rahoolm

Btw, it maybe better a $5 cvps vps with qemu and windows 7 ;)

• @craigb said: re: kimsufi: storage/backup (for you, family/friends)? Run openvz?

Backup was the intention originally, but I seem to be able to get everything into my BuyVM storage plan, which is less than half the price of the KimSufi. I'm not sure I'd know where to start with OpenVZ, it'd be an interesting thing to learn about though...

• nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2012

@Nekki said: I'm not sure I'd know where to start with OpenVZ, it'd be an interesting thing to learn about though...

It's simple enough, I setup OpenVZ and NAT for 3 containers, works pretty well so far, I've been able to push about 2.5 TB in a couple of days.

• edited November 2012

Well, another kind of this thread :p

Ok, lets start with my active vps :

• 1 x 512MB KVM SSD from Prometeus for running Openfire server for private chat in my company
    • 1 x 128MB KVM from PyramidServer for running another blog, vpn, znc

• 1 x 512MB XEN from Provider Service for Squid Proxy

• 1 x 128MB XEN from Stylexnetworks for watching hulu

• 1 x 512MB OpenVZ SSD Cached from Prometeus for running my blog, vpn, pptp, and znc,

• 1 x 256MB OpenVZ SSD Cached from RamNode, for running my other blog, vpn, pptp, and znc.

• 1 x 512MB OpenVZ from PyramidServer for running my other blog, vpn, pptp, znc.

• 1 x 384MB OpenVZ from Prometeus for my other blog, vpn, znc.
    • 1 x 128MB OpenVZ from CheapVPS for watching hulu
    • 1 x 128MB OpenVZ from Host1Free for backup
    • 1 x 64MB OpenVZ from IPxcore for backup

My inactive vps:

• 1 x 2GB OpenVZ from ChicagoVPS, left unused. have no idea for it.
    • 1 x 128MB XEN from OVH
  • ssh [email protected]
    free -m
    df -h
    top -c
    ^C
    ^D

• Botnet detection? and try to notify the victims?

No need for a big vps. A 128MB one should be enough.

For me, there are two ways to do that.

Let the spammer discover my vps disguised as an open relay, and then they'll command their zombie army fire spam at my vps.

If your domain is already heavily spammed, greylisting could help you fend off spam from botnets, and you can identify suspected zombie computers this way.

Don't stop at this stage. Share the collected data with ISPs/CERTs in charge of the IP spaces, so that they can notify the victims. This also help raise the security awareness of the victims.

• @netomx said: Damn. Now I'm installing Windows 95.

It's a huge upgrade LOL

• @concerto49 said: Installing Telephone's looking glass :p

Best answer ever!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Nekki said: I've got uses for all my VPSs (OpenVPN, ownCloud, torrents, offsite backups), but I can't work out what to do with my KimSufi dedi to make it worth the monthly outlay :-/

Move the services to it, then cancel a few (or most) of those VPSes?

• 256 MB BuyVM: OpenVPN + storage
    256 MB BuyVM: ZNC and a few other things
    256 MB GetKVM: VNC server

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ErawanArifNugroho said: 1 x 128MB KVM from PyramidServer for running another blog, vpn, znc

1 x 512MB OpenVZ SSD Cached from Prometeus for running my blog, vpn, pptp, and znc,

1 x 256MB OpenVZ SSD Cached from RamNode, for running my other blog, vpn, pptp, and znc.

1 x 512MB OpenVZ from PyramidServer for running my other blog, vpn, pptp, znc.

1 x 384MB OpenVZ from Prometeus for my other blog, vpn, znc.

You must really like IRC :)

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited November 2012

TBH, I can't tell if this is a typo or ZNC is something that exists, but I don't know about.

EDIT: It has something to do with IRC?

• NickkNickk Member
    edited November 2012

@SimpleNode said: EDIT: It has something to do with IRC?

ZNC is an AWESOME opensource IRC bouner - znc.in

• @joepie91 said: You must really like IRC :)

You make me wants to learn irc :p

• @rm_ said: Move the services to it, then cancel a few (or most) of those VPSes?

I considered that also but it's not really viable. I could probably shift my ownCloud installation over there, along with one of my OpenVPN instances and run my backups onto too, but that still works out more expensive than maintaining the individual VPS's, and puts a lot of my eggs in one basket...

• @Nick said: ZNC is an AWESOME opensource IRC bouner - znc.in

Yea if you want to hide your ip address or have a persistant IRC connection this will do.

@RoboCot said: It's a huge upgrade LOL

I were bored :(

Now, I'll try Win7 ;)

• Sometimes is:

ssh [email protected]
    uptime
    exit

:)