Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Address Management?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Address Management?

gibstergibster Member
edited July 2015 in General

So I've just spent the best part of 3 hours trying to re-manage all of my IP's for my various VPS', and I was wondering if anyone else manages their IP's the same way as me?
Lets say that VM1 has an IP4 of 104.1.1.1, IP6 address of 2607::f::0 and my main domain name for managing IP's is haha.uk

Main IP4 - 104-1-1-1.ip-addr.haha.uk (points to 104.1.1.1)

Main IP6 - 1.ip6.104-1-1-1.ip-addr.haha.uk (points to 2607::f::0)

Is what I'm doing Practical, or am I going over the top? Does anyone else actually map all their IP addresses to hostnames?

I've added the 1 in front of ip6 just in case I add more IP's from the subnet to a hostname.

Many thanks in Advance

Comments

• elgselgs Member

Are you talking about setting reverse DNS? If this is the case, setting up reverse DNS makes sense if you want to send emails to foreign domains.

• @elgs said:
    Are you talking about setting reverse DNS? If this is the case, setting up reverse DNS makes sense if you want to send emails to foreign domains.

The domains above are set as the rDNS records, but for some reason, it makes me feel better if the IP's are mapped to a domain name (Minor OCD?)

• elgselgs Member

Not like the forward DNS zone, normally you don't have direct control over the rDNS for your IP, but many providers give you a web interface to modify it. The way you set your domain makes perfect sense if you don't care about the mail. If you intend to use this IP as the mail server in your domain, you have to set the rNDS the same as the FQDN defined in the forward zone file for this IP. Also the MX record in your forward zone has to point to this hostname. Essentially when the foreign mail server receive emails from your IP, they will check whether the domain name of this IP is the same as it claims to be, through doing the rDNS lookup. This is used to avoid email fraud. But if you don't use your server as mail server, it doesn't matter what rNDS you set for your server.

• BruceBruce Member
    edited July 2015

I use names rather than numbers:

[city].[country].mydomain.com (3 letter abbrev)

or where I have more than 1 node:

[city][index].[country].mydomain.com

easier to remember

• We use memorable pet names for servers. :) Like zelda/yoda/legion/darla/moo/poop(internal testing ;) ) and so on. When we're working on a project, we remember the name easily

• I think there was a topic about this a while back, naming them with proper resolving forward/reverse DNS is just good practise whatever names you use.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

I'm following this detailed guide and it works quite well for me. Not using a wordlist though, rather heading for GoT character names.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio