Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
How do I use my /64 IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

How do I use my /64 IPv6?

elgselgs Member
edited July 2015 in General

I got a /64 block of IPv6 addresses on my server, which is 2^64=18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses. I don't even know how to read it. I'm wondering what I can do with such a scary number of addresses? I literally need to be educated about the IPv6.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

SOP for IPv6 is assign one to your device to use and talk about how many you have left over on social media. :)

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • Is there a way to set my server to listen on all /64 addresses, but to use a random address as the outgoing ip?

Will shill for carrots.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

@wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
    -Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • sinsin Member

I usually just use an IPv6 for nginx as I do get some visitors that use it.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

@KuJoe said:
    wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

Add this: 24/7 maxed out CPU core(s)

[Linking that many IP addresses to one server would cause CPU, RAM, and SSD/HDD suicide (assuming that the network connection isn't saturated yet).]

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2015

KuJoe said: @wwabbit If you like slow reboots and using a lot of RAM I'm sure you can.

It is not possible. I mean you can do it, but will not work.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

why would you even want to?

With a router you can forward the entire /64 to a single address.

• Hurricane Electric has some learning resources for IPv6. Take a look here - https://ipv6.he.net/presentations.php

Thanked by 3elgs gestiondbi wwabbit
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Provider

HE also have a training/certification program to learn some few things step by step: https://ipv6.he.net

Thanked by 1wwabbit

Gestion DBI Inc. | Leader in IT Consulting and Telecommunications
    A hosting need? Web Hosting | Montreal KVM VPS

• tomletomle Member

+1 on the HE certification program (you even get a t-shirt ;) )

Thanked by 1DianTama

RIPE LIR: Contact me for ASN registrations/IPv6. No IPv4 space left.

• Count them. Print them.

tomle said: (you even get a t-shirt ;) )

That as well. Have the full /64 printed in a t-shirt. Badass!

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2015

Assign one to every item in your house, to prepare for when they are internet of things compatible.

EDIT: Tunnel a /56 to your house and use that!

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

linuxthefish said: Assign one to every item in your house, to prepare for when they are internet of things compatible.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• @elgs said:
    I got a /64 block of IPv6 addresses on my server, which is 2^64=18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses. I don't even know how to read it. I'm wondering what I can do with such a scary number of addresses? I literally need to be educated about the IPv6.

Assign one to your VPS but try and figure out cool words you can create using 0-9 and a-f

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• ChuckChuck Member

Is there a way to run multiple VPNs using /64 IPv6 on a VPS?

I like what she said, not what it means.

• elgselgs Member

@hostnoob said:
    Assign one to your VPS but try and figure out cool words you can create using 0-9 and a-f

One of them could be cafe:babe. :)

• elgselgs Member
    edited July 2015

I'm actually wondering technically why some people says subnet smaller than /64 is not really useful.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited July 2015

elgs said: I'm actually wonderful technically why some people says subnet smaller than /64 is not really useful.

1) You are actually wonderful :3

2) Because SLAAC requires a /64 per LAN to work, and IPv6 without SLAAC is more cumbersome to set up and use e.g. for a VPN (you will need to statically assign everything, or set up DHCPv6).

Thanked by 2elgs Shot2
  • elgselgs Member

@rm_ said:

OMG, I mean wondering. :)