Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who would be interested..?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who would be interested..?

NickONickO Member
edited November 2012 in General

Who would be interested in a VPS with...

Plan 1
256MB RAM
15GB Disk Space
100-200GB Bandwidth (1Gbit)
$3.50/month

I realise this is a pretty standard plan but who would prefer the above or would prefer..

Plan 2
512MB RAM
30GB Disk Space
200-400GB Bandwidth (1Gbit)
$7.00/month

instead of the 256? Pretty much the same but just double. Trying to get some things planned.

Thanks!

Comments

• Location? Test IP? RAID? CPU?

• Why don't you just release both of 'em?

• @concerto49 said: Location? Test IP? RAID? CPU?

IP: Nothing up or even official at this time
    RAID: RAID-10
    CPU: Dual L5420 (8 * 2.5GHz) or E3-1230v2. Benchmarks are pretty similar. Host node would have 16GB RAM on Dual L5420 or 32GB on E3-1230.

• @Andri said: Why don't you just release both of 'em?

Of course I will. This is just some planning to see what's most in demand. Trying to get some numbers.

• I'd like to see Plan 1 with Plan 2's bandwidth allotment, and perhaps in a less crowded location -- NC is becoming very popular thanks to Dacentec.

• @ihatetonyy said: I'd like to see Plan 1 with Plan 2's bandwidth allotment, and perhaps in a less crowded location -- NC is becoming very popular thanks to Dacentec.

Yeah, the one thing I would be planning to up with these plans would be the Bandwidth allotment.

Maybe Dallas?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You're right it's pretty generic, but that doesn't mean people won't go for it. My plans are pretty generic too but I'm very happy with the pace I've been selling at.

• @jarland said: You're right it's pretty generic, but that doesn't mean people won't go for it. My plans are pretty generic too but I'm very happy with the pace I've been selling at.

Yeah, well I want to compete but at the same time not deadpool in 6 months time ;)

I also guess everyone would prefer KVM over OVZ? How about Xen? Price would be the same.

• Yeah, people may want more bandwidth.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@NickO said: Yeah, well I want to compete but at the same time not deadpool in 6 months time ;)

Surprisingly how many people totally get that and respect it. Surprising to me anyway. I thought everyone just wanted cheaper and cheaper, but there appears to be plenty of demand for all of us. Best of luck in your offering!

• @SimpleNode said: Yeah, people may want more bandwidth.

Yep, what I'm looking into. Say 3x more?
    P.S. You're from NZ?

• @NickO said: P.S. You're from NZ?

Yes.

I think the B/W of Plan 2 on Plan 1 and Plan 2 has double the bandwidth of Plan 2 (if that made any sense).

• @SimpleNode said: Yes.

I think the B/W of Plan 2 on Plan 1 and Plan 2 has double the bandwidth of Plan 2 (if that made any sense).

Same here :)

Right, so both plans doubled in bandwidth?

Thanks!

• would go for 256 , a bit more of bandwidth would've been tempting

• @gameon said: would go for 256 , a bit more of bandwidth would've been tempting

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah. Bandwidth will definately be at least doubled prior to launch.

• @NickO said: RAID: RAID-10

Hardware of Software?

Either way dude good luck :)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Hardware of Software?

Either way dude good luck :)

Still a bit 50/50 with deciding.

Thanks!

• @NickO: Honestly, I'd say if you can do it, go hardware.

• @NickO said: Maybe Dallas?

Dallas is nice. If you're open to Best Coast, Seattle only has two providers that come to mind. Not sure if the price point/BW allots are workable there or not though.

• secrets to sell out on LEB/LET:

standard cpu
    standard ram
    tun/tap/ppp
    xen or kvm
    $0.50 - $1 cheaper than your competitor
    super generous bandwidth allotment (1 TB and beyond)

• @cosmicgate said: standard cpu

standard ram
    tun/tap/ppp
    xen or kvm
    $0.50 - $1 cheaper than your competitor
    super generous bandwidth allotment (1 TB and beyond)

and deadpool in 3 months.

• lzplzp Member
    edited November 2012

It mostly comes down to advertising:

People end up on services like CVPS then realize how shit and oversold it is, then they have to find another host. Eventually, they run out of hosts (especially hosts in the parts of the world they want to be hosted in), and so that's why the newcomer to the hosting game will still get business.

You need to advertise quite a bit - and not just in a small burst, but continuously.

The most important part of keeping those customers is excellent customer service. Customer service also means not insanely overselling your nodes. Good customer service also means that you have fast, stable servers (stable being the key point).

Linode doesn't have the fastest servers out there, and its plans are horrible in terms of specs/$. The reason people use Linode is that you will get a response that will solve your problems, and for the huge majority of people using their service, there will never be any problems that need to be resolved.

• @lzp said: The reason people use Linode is that you will get a response that will solve your problems

Unless you're getting DDOSed, that is.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

TOO MANY NICKS

:rage:

• @NickM said: Unless you're getting DDOSed, that is.

Let's face it, nobody likes DDoS. With 99% of the hosts if you are DDoSed bad enough it will result in nullroute. And if if happens too often - they will ask you to find another host.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

In North Carolina, probably not since Timmeh is a little cheaper.

• ^^

And bandwidth should be 1TB at the least. Most 256MB plans come with it.

• Hey guys,

How do these plans sound?

Plan 1
    256MB RAM
    15GB Disk Space
    250GB Bandwidth (1Gbit)
    $3.50/month

Plan 2
    512MB RAM
    50GB Disk Space
    500GB Bandwidth (1Gbit)
    $7.00/month