Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ways to do SSD caching
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ways to do SSD caching

lele0108lele0108 Member
edited November 2012 in General

I'm interested in doing SSD caching in the near future, what are some ways to do it?

Anybody ever try to Momentus XT drives in RAID10 before? That might be interesting.

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

FlashCache, BCache, CacheCade, MaxCache etc... some paid, some free.

@lele0108 said: Anybody ever try to Momentus XT drives in RAID10 before? That might be interesting.

Doesn't work - doesn't provide desired results.

• BCache looks cool, does anybody have experience with it?

Cachecade I know, but it's expensive, so I'm looking for alternatives.

• @lele0108 said: BCache looks cool, does anybody have experience with it?

It's faster than FlashCache but less stable. It's more painful to setup. Not as much documentation. It's bleeding edge :)

Yes, played with it. Experimented for quite a while on all the solutions.

• IS SSD-Caching still Intel only? Or am I behind in technology again?

• @eastonch said: IS SSD-Caching still Intel only? Or am I behind in technology again?

Well, Intel Z68/Z77 motherboards have integrated SSD caching, but lots of other technologies, like the ones mentioned above do SSD caching as well. Also, some hybrid harddrives, like the MomentusXT.

• @eastonch said: IS SSD-Caching still Intel only? Or am I behind in technology again?

Shouldn't RamNode tell you this? :)

• CacheCade is the industry standard in this market for a while now, and it usually works better ;)

But yeah, ask Nick, he can probably tell you more than I can - considering the offerings are based around SSDs :)

• @lele0108 Thanks for clearing that up; I'm a desktop guy more than a server guy by trade; and the last time I was upgrading, intels SSD caching stuffs was the big hype.

@concerto49 Hehe... NIck goes ahead and just hits servers with hammers and installs wizard software; I swear he's a genius. I just answer tickets for people relating to billing etc. ;) One day I hope to have his knowledge though. (Though between us we have a good broad knowledge).

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Ha, @eastonch we'll go over it on Skype