Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net no ip addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net no ip addresses

just bought a $170/mo server from online.net to do a few VPSes on and they have no failover IPs available at all. that's kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

I wanted some presence in france. Anyone else have trouble with them?

Comments

• Do you mean you ordered some and they have told you they are waiting for extra capacity?

• Seems unbelievable. Even my 5.99 Euro servers have one failover ip each.

• Hello,

In fact currently our pool of available failover IP addresses is exhausted. Our network team is already working on adding more IPs to this pool and the issue will be solved soon.

• wychwych Member

It happens every once in a while, last time they had them available within 12hrs or so.

• Support told me August.. So I guess I just pay for a server to sit there until then. You aren't able to pre-order them either.. i guess you just have to get lucky and sign-in and hope they are there.

• @AshleyUk said:
    Do you mean you ordered some and they have told you they are waiting for extra capacity?

You can't "order" them, unless they have them available. It just says no failover IPs are available at the moment. Unfortunately, I have to put another server online today because of a product release for one of my clients.. just to handle extra load. I'm firing up other servers I have instead. Just feel like I am wasting money.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

FalconInternet said: Support told me August.. So I guess I just pay for a server to sit there until then. You aren't able to pre-order them either.. i guess you just have to get lucky and sign-in and hope they are there.

I am sure they will refund you or consider your day 1 service start from the day they get the IP's though in light of this, right @bene_online ?

• I'd be happy with 1 for today! :)

• @FalconInternet can you send me your ticket number so we can have a look into your issue

Thanked by 1FalconInternet
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I do have 3 IP's with Online not in usage, shame I couldnt let you have them or I would. They are sitting idle until the end of the month =(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

FalconInternet said: just bought a $170/mo server from online.net to do a few VPSes on and they have no failover IPs available at all. that's kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

What is ridiculous is that in 2015 people still don't even give a thought to "hey maybe we could use IPv6 for this?" You have one IPv4, you can set up reverse proxy, port forwarding and outgoing NAT for your VPSes. That IPv4 thing is over, you could wait for the provider to scramble together some leftovers for you, or you could think about the future instead.

Thanked by 2chrisp Alt
  • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@rm_ said:
    What is ridiculous is that in 2015 people still don't even give a thought to "hey maybe we could use IPv6 for this?" You have one IPv4, you can set up reverse proxy, port forwarding and outgoing NAT for your VPSes. That IPv4 thing is over, you could wait for the provider to scramble together some leftovers for you, or you could think about the future instead.

I'm sure @FalconInternet would LOVE to do so, as it is both simpler than NAT and cheaper than paying for IPs. He was talking about clients though... Good luck saying to those non-tech-savy people that they should head for IPv6. "Y not work at home?", "How much does upgrade to version six cost?", " I'll go with someone else then"

Before IPv6 gets rolled out by all major providers worldwide, offering IPv6-only services to clients rarely works.

• For one my software doesn't support IP 6 yet. Secondly they don't tell you have have no ip available. I had to order the pro service just to find out they have none. Smoke and mirrors.

I told them to cancel it but they won't refund me their professional service. Last time I ever use this company. I have 75 servers and they are losing a potential huge client.

This is my first server with them and likely my last.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Also @FalconInternet - I asked them on IRC weather I could let you have my IP addresses (moved away from Online - got them sitting around for a month) and they said that the system doesnt let them do that.

Thanks
    Harry

• @rm_ said:

Future is a good idea and all, But still waiting on the rest of the world to implement IPv6.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

The World has not yet implemented IPv6 because everyone is waiting for it to be implemented ;)

• @gbshouse said:
    The World has not yet implemented IPv6 because everyone is waiting for it to be implemented ;)

To be honest residential IPs need to get their act together first

What's the point having an IPv6 service if nobody can access it

Thanked by 3gestiondbi Pwner 4n0nx
  • totally agree hostnoob.

• lazytlazyt Member

I wish IP6 was an option here.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    What's the point having an IPv6 service if nobody can access it

As I'm a consultant to one of big Canadian ISP, I can tell you, we are not ready and even, don't really work on it... It's pretty outrageous to say to international company requesting it... Sorry Sir, network is not ready, but should be soon...

This song, we heard and tell it for more than 5 years now. However, internal company network is all Native Dual-Stack... and mobile network too.... LOL

ISP should ready learn about NAT and IPv6 ASAP!

• Seems IPV4 IPs will end soon

• Best solution for the ipv6 issue would be to get big sites to set a date where they stop supporting ipv4, that will force the isp's to implement it. Imagine if facebook did this... we'd have ipv6 almost worldwide within a year.

• ska42ska42 Member

... or we'd no longer hear anything about Facebook.

Either way, that would be nice ! ;)

Thanked by 2Alt J1021
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited July 2015

@bene_online any eta for when you'll get more IP addresses assigned to the pool?

• No idea what the problem for online is - Their parent has nearly an entire /16 (or even more) unused (does not ping).

• wychwych Member

On my panel I can see individual IP's to provision but not any /27's available.

• I already cancelled it and just ordered one from OVH in france. I can get 100s of IPs there in minutes if I needed them. Server was online and installed in 30 minutes from the time I ordered.

• rds100rds100 Member

FalconInternet said: I already cancelled it and just ordered one from OVH in france. I can get 100s of IPs there in minutes if I needed them. Server was online and installed in 30 minutes from the time I ordered.

I think it was a bad choice. Online.net is much better than OVH in terms of customer service.

• @William said:
    No idea what the problem for online is - Their parent has nearly an entire /16 (or even more) unused (does not ping).

Not pinging isn't a surefire way of knowing they are unused, they could simply be used on a network where ICMP echo is dropped by a firewall.

• dragon2611 said: Not pinging isn't a surefire way of knowing they are unused, they could simply be used on a network where ICMP echo is dropped by a firewall.

Highly unlikely, no ping, no common ports open everywhere (80, 8080, 443, 22) and no ports (full scan) open on random /20s i just scanned.