Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bandwidth usage of a minecraft hosting ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

bandwidth usage of a minecraft hosting ?

Hello everyone ,

I am thinking of starting a Minecraft host but i have few questions if someone here can help me regarding the same. How much bandwidth will one server with the following specs would consume:

Server1:

E3-1275v3
32 GB Ram
2x 500GB SSD (Raid 1)

Server2:

E5-1650v3
64GB Ram
6x 240GB SSD (RAID 10)

I have a lot of experience in hosting servers but i have never cared about the bandwidth as i use to rent the servers.

I know that it does't fully depends on specs but i just need an idea.

Comments

• LaXiSLaXiS Member

Some say that you need at least 0.3Mbps both Up and Down for each player. You could try doing some calculations based on this number but I can't confirm that it's the truth.

• Thank you @LaXiS ! Looking for more a proper answer , anyone ?

Cheers

• LaXiSLaXiS Member

@fraghostsolutions said:
    Looking for more a proper answer , anyone ?

Well then look at the last post of this thread for some experimental data: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/archive/legacy-support/1837102-server-bandwidth-per-user

• Need more information , thank you. :D

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Minecraft doesn't use much bandwidth to be totally honest.

64 days of uptime (2x medium sized servers, nightly backups on each (compressed maps, uncompressed SQL databases)):

RX bytes:100731884727 (93.8 GiB) TX bytes:946404648724 (881.4 GiB)

• I pinged one of my friend who's running a Minecraft server. His replies were around 700GB per month.

• @matthewvz How many average players online ? Thanks for the information mate.

@sdglhm is it posible if u can ask your friend what is the average player base ?

• He said it's vary. Because not all of the players are very active. But usually it's around 50 or something. He said he cannot be sure about that.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@sdglhm said:
    He said it's vary. Because not all of the players are very active. But usually it's around 50 or something. He said he cannot be sure about that.

When I ran a 50~ player server we were using around 1TB a month, that included a website and TS3 server. so your 700Gb is accurate.

I would reccomend 1TB per 50 players, as many hosts do 10TB+ you'll be fine.