Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peakservers officiall tits up - bought out by Server Hub
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Peakservers officiall tits up - bought out by Server Hub

Received this interesting snipped in email this evening:

My name is John Brancela, CEO of ServerHub. I am writing you today to share some exciting news in light of recent issues you have experienced with your Peak Servers Services.

We are pleased to announce that ServerHub has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Peak Servers.

Effective immediately, I’ve instructed all ServerHub staff with the authorization of current Peak Servers ownership to assume all technical operations of the Peak Servers brand while we work to complete the legal aspects of this acquisition.

and on it goes....

Does anyone have experience with Server Hub?

Comments

• Is it me or is their 'Introducing HubGrid A Unified Control Panel' 'designed from ground up' just WHMCS with a skin?

Thanked by 2netomx adxn
  • ub3rstarub3rstar Member
    edited July 2015

I've got nothing but good things to say about ServerHub. Been a customer with them for a few months now and can't remember the last time my server was offline (because of something on their end). When I have had to contact their support, they are very professional and don't act like they're 10 years old. They also seem to be a stable company so you don't have to worry about them going out of business tomorrow. One problem is their backup system doesn't work (with my VPS anyway) because it uses Ploop with OpenVZ.

Here's a benchmark of my IronGrid Pure SSD VPS in Phoenix:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3501.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3072 MB
    Total amount of swap :  512MB
    System uptime :   8 days, 9:05,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 16.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.66MB/s
    Download speed from Softla yer, Dallas, TX: 6.45MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.05MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 3.50MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 15.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.77MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.90MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 14.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.31MB/s
    I/O speed :  175 MB/s

Not sure why the I/O speed isn't that good, but I'll open a support ticket with them about that.

• @ub3rstar said:
    Not sure why the I/O speed isn't that good, but I'll open a support ticket with them about that.

They seem to always be lacking in that area

• RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

@ub3rstar said:
    I've got nothing but good things to say about ServerHub. Been a customer with them for a few months now and can't remember the last time my server was offline (because of something on their end). When I have had to contact their support, they are very professional and don't act like they're 10 years old. They also seem to be a stable company so you don't have to worry about them going out of business tomorrow. One problem is their backup system doesn't work (with my VPS anyway) because it uses Ploop with OpenVZ.

Here's a benchmark of my IronGrid Pure SSD VPS in Phoenix:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3501.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3072 MB
    Total amount of swap :  512MB
    System uptime :   8 days, 9:05,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 16.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.66MB/s
    Download speed from Softla yer, Dallas, TX: 6.45MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.05MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 3.50MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 15.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.77MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.90MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 14.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.31MB/s
    I/O speed :  175 MB/s

Can you please PM with your email address that associated with your account? Those numbers seem to be far from what you should be getting. Both IO/Network speed should be a lot higher.

Here is a benchmark from a VPS on a node at full capacity.

Download speed from CacheFly: 97.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 17.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 60.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 17.7MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.51MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 65.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 11.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 50.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 85.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 19.7MB/s

I/O speed :  964 MB/s

[root@demo ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.874916 s, 1.2 GB/s

1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.730761 s, 1.5 GB/s

1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.797823 s, 1.3 GB/s

Thanked by 1JohnSH
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

ub3rstar said: I've got nothing but good things to say about ServerHub

Edit: Resolved below, quite professionally I might add.

Ask me how many IPs of theirs I've blocked for excessive, repetitive spam. I've never been a client, but I've got plenty bad to say because of this. I don't know how widespread it is, but they've got a spam problem which means they've got a network monitoring problem. They've been given adequate abuse reports, so I hope they shape up on that note.

• JohnSHJohnSH Member, Patron Provider

Jar,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are reporting regarding spam issues you've received from our network. Spam/UCE is not permitted on our network, and we have most recently taken advanced efforts of email security, including automated mail blocks for new or unverified users. It is certainly a challenge with the over 600,000 IP addresses that are announced and managed on our network, along with our continuously growing user base and infrastructure, however we continue to take steps as network security is very important to us and continue to refine our automation. Feel free to PM me directly, I would love to discuss these reports personally with you and ensure nothing has been missed.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited July 2015

JohnSH said: we have most recently taken advanced efforts of email security

Good to hear. I trust my abuse reports (via spamcop) were read and dealt with then. That ends my complaint :)

I usually don't speak up about such things unless it comes from multiple IP addresses over the course of several days. That's usually the point where I take notice.

• RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

They seem to always be lacking in that area

That's no longer that case with our IronGrid plans :) We've spent a lot of time, and have invested a lot of research dollars into enhancing our Virtualization platform.

edited July 2015

@Jar said:

Good to hear. I trust my abuse reports (via spamcop) were read and dealt with then. That ends my complaint :)

I usually don't speak up about such things unless it comes from multiple IP addresses over the course of several days. That's usually the point where I take notice.

Thanks for the response! Yes we most definitely, we investigate and deal with abuse reports that come in. We always appreciate abuse complaints, as it aids in our efforts of keeping our network and the internet community a safer place to transact. If you ever see an issue that needs our attention, don't hesitate to PM me directly, I am always glad to help.

Thanked by 1jar

@JohnSH said:
    Thanks for the response! Yes we most definitely, we investigate and deal with abuse reports that come in. We always appreciate abuse complaints, as it aids in our efforts of keeping our network and the internet community a safer place to transact. If you ever see an issue that needs our attention, don't hesitate to PM me directly, I am always glad to help.

In that case, I've signed up for two reasons:

1. Apology for crapping on an otherwise fine thread.
    2. Your storage offerings are quite nicely priced.

@Jar said:
    2. Your storage offerings are quite nicely priced.

No apology needed! I appreciate the praise and want to be the first to welcome you to the ServerHub family!

Thanked by 1jar
  • FredQcFredQc Member

I only have good things to say about ServerHub. I've got a dedicated server in their Dallas DC some times ago and the support has been very good an responsive for me. Also, they delivered the server in 45 minutes after payment which is a rare occurence these days. The only problem I faced is the that the root password provided was not working... but this was resolved pretty quick.

[root@sh ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  3600.245 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 32001 MB
    Total amount of swap : 16383 MB
    System uptime :   6 days, 16:24,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 102MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 32,6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 105MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 13,4MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10,5MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 51,7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6,68MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 28,4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 34,2MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18,1MB/s 
    I/O speed :  157 MB/s

For the price paid they provide real good, modern hardware / network.

Thanked by 1JohnSH
  • sinsin Member

I've never heard of Serverhub so I just checked out their website and it looks like they have some good prices on VPSes, might give them a shot :) p.s. thanks everyone for your benchmarks in this thread.

• Just to let everyone know, the disk I/O for my VPS has been fixed. It looks like the low disk speed was isolated to my VPS and I had to move to a new container. It was a little bit of a pain in the butt but they upgraded my plan at no extra cost.

Here's the last disk I/O test I did:

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.10587 s, 971 MB/s

• I thought @ClamHost bought it out