Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird DNS Errors
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Weird DNS Errors

InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
edited December 2012 in Help

Hey Guys,

I should start a Wierd Errors series like DrMike's Dumb Question series :P Well, basically I have a domain which usually works, the domain and zone's don't seem to load from my computer here, I've changed DNS servers and all but no luck, however pingdom and my VPSs return the correct addresses. Either way, one of the domain has the wrong glue records however the other has no glue records yet doesn't ping. Anyone know what could be the problem, the first is * . infinitymedia . org . uk. alpha . infinitymedia . org . uk actually has a record. The other domain is ns1 . mitihost . net. NSD which is what I use for the nameservers on my box returns no errors when I use the "nsdc rebuild" command. I cannot see any reason why it could be occuring.

http://www.intodns.com/mitihost.net

I know one or more of the DNS servers is offline however it should work with some of them online, I'm kind of in a mess here. I understand that you guys might need more information, just ask me. I can't think straight :P

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Hmm.. I'm a little more sane now! I've just remembered that the VPSs I tested with are the one's that host the DNS anyway so.. but that doesn't explain pingdom.

And the explanation for the 2nd domain not working is because it is pointed to ns1 . infinitymedia . org . uk which's DNS is presumably not working for some odd reason.

• It's better to just focus on one domain, if one domain hosts the DNS and uses it's own nameservers, then try to get it working alone and once it's working correctly, you can then add it's nameservers to other domain/s.
    And try that test it shows useful hints at what is missing in your records http://pingability.com

• Let's at least call them "Weird Errors"

Yeah. It was working nicely before however someting happened and BAM. I guess it would help if I switched to HE or someting while I install and fix it all. Thanks for the help @Go59954.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Restart the vps which has the dns service running, it's one of the solution's for these crazy errors :-P

@SpeedBus Damn, my uptime record down the drain..

Anyway I guess I haven't and should try that when I get home and off this crappy phone. Although I'm pretty sure it wont make a difference. Thanks for the input :p

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

@Infinity said: the domain and zone's don't seem to load from my computer here, I've changed DNS servers and all but no luck, however pingdom and my VPSs return the correct addresses.

I think I misunderstood it earlier, did you mean you've changed ns1 & ns2 at your registrar for your domain name, into another DNS service like HE (or into NSD hosted at another box)?

If it's that simple, then you don't have any problems :X But just need to wait for up to 48 hours till the new change propagate to all locations worldwide. If it's working from pingdom and from another VPS, but not responding from your home, and you are below 48 hours since changing DNS, that simply means it's not fully propagated yet!

@Go59954 said: I think I misunderstood it earlier, did you mean you've changed ns1 & ns2 at your registrar for your domain name, into another DNS service like HE (or into NSD hosted at another box)?

I am going to do so, nothing has been changed yet. They are all pointing to my DNS cluster, ns1-5.infinitymedia.org.uk are my box's.

I can see that my ISPs DNS seems to be playing up as always, need to get that fixed before anything.

• As per the intodns result it appears that everything is working perfect now. Right?

• It seems you've brought something back from the dead of November 2011. :P

@cybex said: As per the intodns result it appears that everything is working perfect now. Right?

Of course it does, 9 months on..

• flyfly Member

obviously post farming

@fly said: obviously post farming

I know, for his offer, you can be sure he wont post again though, he has 5 posts..

• flyfly Member

hetzner summer host. probably won't ever see him again after a week

Thanked by 1Infinity