Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Openvz or KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Openvz or KVM?

PhilNDPhilND Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hi all,

We're looking at increasing our presence once again, this time to the UK. What tickles your fantasy? OpenVZ or KVM?

Either way it'll be on good quality hardware (15K SAS Drives and a great network) of course for either type there will be a nice yearly deal aswell.

Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• You'd probably get a lot of business with OpenVZ in UK. There's very few OVZ providers in the UK in the LEB price range.

• Actually there are a few, not just us. Unless of course you mean the business/company is based in the UK then yeah, I'd agree with that.

• Indeed, all I can think of are:

Minivps
    Easevps
    UG vps
    BHost

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

UGVPS apparently sold a lot of UK VZ compared to other locations recently. But they also don't offer KVM so it's hard to compare.

• Just for your head's up, we are bringing both OVZ and KVM to the UK in the next few weeks :P

• Netstall.co.uk is also in UK.

• @Damian Don't forget us ;)

• @Damian Some no lifer bugged us out of the UK with attacks.

• @StormVZ said: Don't forget us ;)

Stupid me, I even have some of your services :D

@Jacob said: Some no lifer bugged us out of the UK with attacks.

Srsly? I thought you had just moved to a different datacenter. Sorry about that!

• @Damian We did move, but after 48 Hours of being online we got shuffled out.

• Throwing my vote in for OVZ. I'll throw all my money at you for Gbit, also.

• jhjh Member

@Jacob said: we got shuffled out

What's the situation now?

• @Jacob said: @Damian We did move, but after 48 Hours of being online we got shuffled out.

Did you tell Melbourne that you where under constant attacks when you signed up?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

Impossible, there just was no solution within the £1K cash disposable at the time.

Cisco ASA5510 was tempting, but with a max throughput of 500Mbps. Had we given prior notice(within the first attack, there was a total of four within 48hr) to melbourne then rob said he may of been able to do something.

But honestly, I see the point.. Had it been like over a week of being online and we recieved the attacks then they would of been more negotiable.

But that is that, time to move on. :-)

And one of the first questions I asked to my account manager was the amount of capacity they have. They have a 10Gbit dark fibre ring, and had around 15Gbit of capacity, and he said they was adding a connection between all seven datacenters within the next couple of weeks, or something along them lines and it was around 40Gbit.

I let the news go to @MartinD about the 3 strikes and your out policy(3 attacks and it's time to go), He said they operate their own BGP(I couldn't find anything on this, as far as I know they run on melbournes network, using melbournes IP Space).

BGP, Vyatta router + @francisco's Nullroute script would work a treat. :-)

@JHadley I must admit though, extremely friendly guys, and amazing offices for sure.

@Liam said: Did you get any ips of the attackers?

• @Jacob as someone who has been in the same shoes as you for several months now, you can also do auto-nullroute on the Node level. I did that for syn floods and it's been working like a charm so far.

1) Get up on a quality network with powerful uplinks / routers / switches. I'm in love with Juniper MX/EX for such task.
    2) Monitor /proc/net/ip_conntrack / nf_conntrack for attacked IPs
    3) Remove ARP entry for those IPs
    4) PROFIT!!1

Of course what @Francisco did is much better solution but some of us don't operate our own eBGP / Vyatta(yet). Thumbs up anwway ;D

• Maybe you didn't see my £1K Budget :P Juniper definitely is not within 1K.

And plus, I don't sit at a monitor all day so I could not really do that, and it was on /25 subnets.

@apollo15 said: 1) Get up on a quality network with powerful uplinks / routers / switches. I'm in love with Juniper MX/EX for such task.

2) Monitor /proc/net/ip_conntrack / nf_conntrack for attacked IPs
    3) Remove ARP entry for those IPs
    4) PROFIT!!1

• Me neither, I said it was auto-nullroute :P the idea was to write your own script based on steps I provided, like I did.

You just need to choose the right datacenter who will allow you to tank the floods. A lot of DCs use Juniper equipment nowadays. I prefer Juniper, but quality Cisco or Brocade gear would also do the trick I guess.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

OpenVZ sells well in the UK. Even though our Xen is priced around the same as OpenVZ people choose OpenVZ

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited November 2012

@Jacob how big were the attacks exactly? Udp or syn?

@Zen yeah it does. Innovative ideas are important in this field :D

• Thanks for all the input guys, just working out things to get our /24's assigned and we'll be releasing the offer soon! :-).

Went with VZ.

Phil

• Theres not alot of datacenters where we was, around £250 for a quarter cab.

It was all dell hardware, literly everthing they used was Dell. The guy was like crying with happiness when I brought our HP Hardware in. :P

@apollo15 said: You just need to choose the right datacenter who will allow you to tank the floods. A lot of DCs use Juniper equipment nowadays. I prefer Juniper, but quality Cisco or Brocade gear would also do the trick I guess.

• PatsPats Member
    edited November 2012

@PhilND said: there will be a nice yearly deal aswell

don't put semoweb/urpad type $12 yearly deal with similar specs... i'm not looking forward for it.. :P

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@httpzoom said: OpenVZ sells well in the UK. Even though our Xen is priced around the same as OpenVZ people choose OpenVZ

any reason your client prefer OpenVZ over XEN? Normally it's opposite the XEN is more popular.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@WebProject said: any reason your client prefer OpenVZ over XEN? Normally it's opposite the XEN is more popular.

Xen offers more for almost the same money, it is much closer to a real machine feeling.
    Looks like KVM won and Xen is dieing a slow death, but I wasnt expecting OVZ to deliver the last blow...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Clients prefer OVZ over Xen/KVM, because of the price - which is much lower than KVM's. On the other side - providers prefer OVZ because of the ability to oversell by .. ALOT and still have the nodes running. So, openvz just wins.

Atleast on my side - I sell 1 KVM box per 15 sold openvz boxes.

• @Alex_LiquidHost

On our side its more like 1 KVM box in every 5 OpenVZ sold.