Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connection question.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connection question.

WHTWHT Member

It will be enugh a 100mbps connection (100 download and 20 upload) to host a site with 40k users per day?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Depends. What kind of site is this? Download mirror? Simple site?

• WHTWHT Member
    edited July 2015

Its a forum (vbulletin) + a image upload download site.

• 20mbps Upload wouldn't be enough IMO

• WHTWHT Member

@sdglhm said:
    20mbps Upload wouldn't be enough IMO

How much users can upload a 100 mb file in the same time?

• WHT said: How much users can upload a 100 mb file in the same time?

It's not the number of users that's the question, but the upload speed each wil get...

1 user will get 20 mbps. A 100 mb upload will take less than 1 minute.

10 simultaneous users will get 2 mbps each. At 2 mbps a 100 mb upload will take about 7 minutes.

Just do the arithmetic :)

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited July 2015

You need to worry more about the provider who allows you to run a Forum... and Secondly run an image hosting which can involve a lot of legal aspects and arguments.

Thirdly, measure your daily data transfer precisely... Number of users does not suggest precise bandwidth consumption per day/per month. You also need to measure CPU load, MySQL load, RAM consumption to understand which package should be good. Bandwidth is just ample to serve at even low end VM Package.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So you want to large site on residential or SMB connection?

• WHTWHT Member

@Clouvider said:
    So you want to large site on residential or SMB connection?

I want to host my sites on my home server. Will need to ask more about power usage but i dont think it will be more than 20-30€ month.

• In this case, it's more cost effective to use a small dedi box. I can suggest you Clouvider (UK) or Delimiter (USA).

Power is not the only thing you need to concern.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Maounique
  • wychwych Member
    edited July 2015

@WHT said:
    I want to host my sites on my home server. Will need to ask more about power usage but i dont think it will be more than 20-30€ month.

Does your ISP have decent international peering/routing?

Do they have a SLA incase the engineer cuts the wrong cable and takes out your connection for a day or two?

What happens if there is a powercut?

DDoS Protection?

Just grab a VPS or a smaller dedicated off one of the reputable hosts.

• WHTWHT Member

@wych said:
    Just grab a VPS or a smaller dedicated off one of the reputable hosts.

My ISP
    Allows me to host a server if I upgrade to business plan (+15€ month).
    Yes, here in austria they offer 99.5% SLA. The main thing I want to know if the users that visits my site will face some troubles or not.

No offers please. Am leasing a server for 4 years now and am scared everyday whdn I wake-up if is susdpended or not. Id like to have my files at home. I will purchase a server with 24 disks.

Ddos protection: i will buy a cheap vps and will do a Gre tunnel.

What do you think guys? Am I wrong with the plan? What about the power costs?

• wychwych Member

WHT said: Am leasing a server for 4 years now and am scared everyday whdn I wake-up if is susdpended or not

Why would it randomly get suspended? Do you mean for bandwidth usage or...?

WHT said: My ISP Allows me to host a server if I upgrade to business plan (+15€ month). Yes, here in austria they offer 99.5% SLA

Not bad, I'm not sure 20mb upload would be enough but only you know the visitor habits.

WHT said: Ddos protection: i will buy a cheap vps and will do a Gre tunnel.

Ok fair enough, its no fun having a DDoS on a home connection.

Power costs depend on the spec and load of the machine your using, and the rates your utility provider bills you in. What spec of system did you plan to run?

• WHTWHT Member

Who knows why, maybe i use to much bandwidth or they want to resell the server for more €. Or if am everyday under ddos. There can be 100s reasons to get suspended and my existence will be gone.

No idea what kind of server yet, am searching on ebay everyday to find something good under €500.
    32 gb ram with six or eight cores at 3.0-3.5 ghz.

• @WHT said:
    Who knows why, maybe i use to much bandwidth or they want to resell the server for more €. Or if am everyday under ddos. There can be 100s reasons to get suspended and my existence will be gone.

No idea what kind of server yet, am searching on ebay everyday to find something good under €500.
    32 gb ram with six or eight cores at 3.0-3.5 ghz.

Then you have NO CHANCE with a 100/20 connection. Why don't you just back up your existing server, so if something does happen, then it's no a big problem?

• wychwych Member

WHT said: Who knows why, maybe i use to much bandwidth or they want to resell the server for more €. Or if am everyday under ddos.

If your using a reputable provider this shouldn't be an issue.

There can be 100s reasons to get suspended and my existence will be gone.

Have you got backups in place?

Best of luck with the search for hardware!

• If you're planning to run a home server. You need a good power connection. (As you've mentioned that the connectivity is no longer a problem)

• wychwych Member

@sdglhm said:
    If you're planning to run a home server. You need a good power connection. (As you've mentioned that the connectivity is no longer a problem)

Or a failover generator/UPS ;)

• wych said: If your using a reputable provider this shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed. We are renting many servers from many providers and never faced any issue with them.

If you can get a supermicro with e3 + 16GB RAM (HW RAID) you're good to go. There are many providers who are selling it for cheap prices. Open a request and you'll get many offers that you can freely choose.

For your power trouble,

Use a good home power connection with surge/ lightning protection. Also setup a backup generator with backup battery. If main line goes down, backup battery will immediately kick in and also backup generator will take place of the battery after a few moment.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited July 2015

@sdglhm thanks for mentioning :)!

What about failover for for network connection?
    What if ISP suspends you for same reasons as dedicated server company?

You ain't mitigating any risk here. You're creating a lot of heavy points of failure that can bring you down for days.

Also, you mentioned you will install 24 disk server at home. Any idea how much noise it makes? And... You mentioned you are looking for something under 500 EUR... With 24 drives...?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

Clouvider said: Also, you mentioned you will install 24 disk server at home. Any idea how much noise it makes? And... You mentioned you are looking for something under 500 EUR... With 24 drives...?

500/24=~20.84€ per drive. Refurbished 80 GB drives? I mean, even considering that's his budget for drives only...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WHTWHT Member
    edited July 2015

No no, without drives of course.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

WHT said: Yes, here in austria they offer 99.5% SLA

Who? No ISP here in Austria offers 99.5% - Not even on business connections. Even Telekom Austria/A1 carrier links only come with a 99% SLA. 100/25Mbit sounds like UPC which does not even give you a static IPv4 (and no IPv6 at all), if you ever get a new modem your IP will change.

They will also ALL kick you for the slightest (D)DoS - Been there, done that, on both ends.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • Clouvider said: You're creating a lot of heavy points of failure that can bring you down for days.

Exactly. Home server is suitable for experiments only. Even I do run a home server for experimenting purposes. But if you're going to host a commercial website on a home server. You need to think 10 times before doing it.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHTWHT Member
    edited July 2015

@William said:

They will also ALL kick you for the slightest (D)DoS - Been there, done that, on both ends.

Geat to see someone who have made this experience.

Yes, i want to go with UPC and they have fix Ip and 99.5% SLA.

http://business.upc.at/produkte/produktpakete/business-fit/

Did they kick you out?

edited July 2015

Business Internet connection, from UPC like, it's simply not a carrier grade connectivity. Aim of Home/Business ISPs is to download content fast, not to upload, they don't pay much attention to outgoing routes, that's simply not build to host a website. That's build to quickly upload power point presentations with multiple images to Google Drive, so you can share with your client.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Don't bother hosting at home - a $100/mo dedicated server will be the better solution.

• Personally, I'd use 1Gbps to be clear and not have to worry about the speed that people using your website will receive. If you need a quote on a server that can handle this and is allowed, feel free to open a ticket at http://w3hostingservices.com/submitticket.php and we can assist you from there.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

sdglhm said: If you're planning to run a home server. You need a good power connection.

You can't be serious. Older homes have 100 Amp service and newer homes now have 200 Amp service. Surely a single 15 Amp circuit (living room socket) should be sufficient. Does a suitable server use more than 1200 continuous Watts? I would think that if you can run a hair dryer, you can run a server too.

But seriously, wouldn't the OP want a fatter pipe than a home connection? Pissing people off makes it harder to restart. You'll lose your ISP and your clients and be left with your own home photo album.

@Ole_Juul frankly, I don't think @sdglhm meant quantity, rather quality, that in my opinion is not achievable to deliver in home environment and very very expensive to deliver in business environment, hence so many people collocate / go cloud as it's simply cheaper (for quality solutions).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Clouvider said: rather quality

And by that reliability. I live in an old part of Bucharest and while last year the average total power loss per household in Romania was some 4 hours, I got more like 4 days added up. Each time they dig to repair or change cables, something comes up, like catacombs or cemeteries from hundreds of years ago, I would be scared to dig too, who knows what may come up and the archaeologists will keep the site open for years.
    I had a 1 gbps nominal connection and still didnt host anything more than big files for myself and a neighbour to distribute to his customers, the type upload once, download once.