Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before i buy a Windows VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Before i buy a Windows VPS

dhanadhana Member

I am new to Windows VPS and want be safe before buying.

What details i must ask to providers before i buy a Windows VPS?

Comments

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Are their licenses legit and not trial versions.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Anything you could imagine ;)

Basically ask what is the virtualization. If it's OpenVZ you're probably not getting a Windows VPS IMO.

Also if you're getting a dedicated core. It would be an added advantage. KVM can be used to over sell RAM and some providers do it. It's a con. But I don't think that any provider would answer how many neighbors do I have type questions. In our case, we limit it to maximum of 65.

• PhotonVPS said: Are their licenses legit and not trial versions.

Some providers do BYOL system. You have to bring your license or pay extra for it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@sdglhm said:
    Basically ask what is the virtualization. If it's OpenVZ you're probably not getting a Windows VPS IMO.

Probably in your opinion? More like never under any circumstances as it's not technically possible :-) OvZ shares one Linux kernel for all VPSes on the server.

• @dhana,
    it'd be wiser to start with a Budget and Location in mind so that all here can point you to the right Provider.

Ofcourse, please decide if you want your own License to be installed (somewhat not acceptable by MS) or you want a Datacentre Edition license included in VPS which will cost you almost the price of a small VPS

Good luck

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited July 2015

@raindog308 said:

Don't be surprised if someone tries to run QEMU inside a OpenVZ VPS :P

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Sarcasm bit

• ... Windows VPS ... safe ...

Stop right there...

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @sdglhm said:
    Anything you could imagine ;)

Also if you're getting a dedicated core. It would be an added advantage. KVM can be used to over sell RAM and some providers do it. It's a con. But I don't think that any provider would answer how many neighbors do I have type questions. In our case, we limit it to maximum of 65.

There's nothing wrong with overselling if it's done properly. It's actually a good thing since customers rarely use 100% of their resources, and overselling results in cheaper prices

• First you should ask yourself if what you're trying to host will only run on windows. If it will run on Linux there is 0 reasons to use Windows.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

We offer servers that make use of the 180 day trial license, which is free. If you require a server with a valid license, we charge monthly. That is the usual setup that is in use for KVM servers that allow for Windows.

I recommend that you do not order a server unless it has 4 cores or 3-4G of RAM available. Anything less, and your server is going to be spending most of its time swapping in and out as opposed to running efficiently. That is at least what I have found with clients who try to install Windows 7/Windows 2012 on a server with 512M of RAM.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@ftpit_cameron said:
    I recommend that you do not order a server unless it has 4 cores or 3-4G of RAM available. Anything less, and your server is going to be spending most of its time swapping in and out as opposed to running efficiently. That is at least what I have found with clients who try to install Windows 7/Windows 2012 on a server with 512M of RAM.

Depends on what you want to do with the server. I have a 1GB Windows 2012 that I run a monitor service, RDP and as general working server when it comes to accessing some of my Linux servers.

• komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

@mikho said:

Depends on what you want to do with the server. I have a 1GB Windows 2012 that I run a monitor service, RDP and as general working server when it comes to accessing some of my Linux servers.

Yes, it all depends on what you want to do with it. But, but that is just a general rule for users that are not aware of what their applications are going to be using. My comment is for a general user that is not going to be monitoring their cpu needs and requirements, and does not want to be shut off for abuse.

If you are aware of all those things, and are using it for something like monitoring only, then 1 cpu is great. But, if they plan on using it as a pure remote desktop, with a firefox and lots of tabs open, as a sort of work desktop, they will most likely run into issues with those limitations.

But, it all depends on their needs

• dhanadhana Member

thanks for the tips. How i can i check if they are giving me my requirements: ram,cpu's etc..

• wychwych Member

dhana said: How i can i check if they are giving me my requirements: ram,cpu's etc..

Task Manager / Resource Monitor / Device Manager / CPU-Z

• For anyone thinking about bringing their own Windows license to a hosting provider, you should read this, http://www.rackspace.com/blog/moving-your-microsoft-licenses-to-the-cloud/ and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility.aspx

TLDR: You can legally only use the Windows license that you've paid for at your hosting provider.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited July 2015

techhelper1 said: TLDR: You can legally only use the Windows license that you've paid for at your hosting provider.

Yes you need Software Assurance to do License Mobility.

In LET industry I believe there are some providers who do not follow this guideline, and I have not seen Microsoft taking any actions against them.

• All it takes is one report to Microsoft to trigger an audit and then it's lights out for the provider. Especially since they cant ask a customer for RDP credentials to see if an install is legit. If the license key being used is not from the provider the license is already null and void.

• hostnoob said: There's nothing wrong with overselling if it's done properly.

Agreed. But since some customers are more power hungry some nodes may be not suitable for those kind of customers.

• sdglhm said: hostnoob said: There's nothing wrong with overselling if it's done properly.

How can overselling be done properly ever? I can come up with times where it just bites LET providers in the ass. That's why I personally don't go for OVZ/LXC type VPS's.

There is a provider (that shall remain nameless) on here that I know where this has done nothing but bury them and cause many problems.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

techhelper1 said: How can overselling be done properly ever? I can come up with times where it just bites LET providers in the ass. That's why I personally don't go for OVZ/LXC type VPS's.

How ironic it is to see such a reply from someone whose username is "techhelper1"...

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@dhana said:
    I am new to Windows VPS and want be safe before buying.

What details i must ask to providers before i buy a Windows VPS?

Look at this windows vps blog for tips.

For windows VPS, Customer service must be good, No shared IP, RDP access, Reboot function, Service quality.

• @Traffic said:
    How ironic it is to see such a reply from someone whose username is "techhelper1"...

@Traffic: If I had a dollar for everytime someone said that, I'd be making more money then your low end business.

• techhelper1 said: @Traffic: If I had a dollar for everytime someone said that, I'd be making more money then your low end business.

That only shows how inept you are in regards to VPSs.

• @Traffic said:
    That only shows how inept you are in regards to VPSs.

Not really, many people can back me up on my wealth of knowledge when it involves Linux, hypervisors, networking, providing, coming up with ideas, etc...

I don't rely on the LE market to make a living. In fact, I have opinions on certain LE providers and users that anyone would probably not want to hear.

• techhelper1 said: Not really, many people can back me up on my wealth of knowledge when it involves Linux, hypervisors, networking, providing, coming up with ideas, etc...

I don't rely on the LE market to make a living. In fact, I have opinions on certain LE providers and users that anyone would probably not want to hear.

Overselling can be done on EVERY VIRTUALIZATION PLATFORM. You said otherwise, and it's a very wrong claim.

Please let me know who can back up your wealth of knowledge so I can stop trusting their opinion.

Thanked by 1Nixtren
  • @Traffic said:
    Please let me know who can back up your wealth of knowledge so I can stop trusting their opinion.

@traffic: I'd seriously like to know how you can oversell something that isn't based on a fancy chroot environment. Especially the hard drive.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

techhelper1 said: @traffic: I'd seriously like to know how you can oversell something that isn't based on a fancy chroot environment. Especially the hard drive.

Ask your wealth of knowledge.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • techhelper1techhelper1 Member
    edited July 2015

@Traffic: With out of the box VPS control panels, they are not configured to have thin LVM provisioning, you must set that up yourself. I'm personally not a fan of overselling because at a previous company I was at, they moved a client between 3 different nodes because of RAID and performance issues, all because it had close to 200 people on it.