Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof of fake company website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proof of fake company website?

postcdpostcd Member
edited July 2015 in Help

Hello,

when you find an company website which you believe is just imitation to misslead people (phishing, money scam), how you proove the easiest way that this website is really fake and thus illegal?
I mean really a undeniable proof, not just proof for yourself that is almost for sure..

Comments

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

The first thing I will do is search for the about page! if there is no about page then I am gonna keep my ass away from it! and if there is a about page I will fist of all take a screenshot and then take a screenshot of TOS! look for company registration details search google to know about the company and its owner's background!

TAKE SCREENSHOT OF TOS AND ABOUT PAGE BEFORE ORDERING SOMETHING!

• well phishing page is made to be as close as possible to its legitimate counterpart, so... just pay attention to the url or include it in the screenshot?

• There's a difference between phishing and just a dodgy provider. Phishing should be glaringly obvious by the URL.

Here are some tips I would use to ensure that you're signing up with a legitimate provider:

• Check their WHOIS information. A real provider has nothing to hide.

• Check their contact information. Give them a call and see if they're legitimate and whether they pick up.

• Read their "About" page. Do they have real information and dates, or is it just a lot of fluff?

These are just a few things you can do to protect yourself when buying online. Always do your research.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

HostMyBytes said: Give them a call and see if they're legitimate and whether they pick up.

Does fax qualify as pick-up, or is Prometeus not legit?
    The fax is there for police requests and other stuff, the italian judges and police did not hear about email yet, for everything else there is the ticket.
    Big customers outside of our budget services know whom to call on mobile.

• KBVEKBVE Member

Having a phone number does not always mean they are legit, you can easily use a Google Voice number as part of the front! Just wanted to point that out there :S

• To me, proving that some site is illegitimate would be an end in itself and not otherwise interesting. For example, if I have even the slightest doubt it's a no sale.