Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is RAM efficient of the Ubuntu (Ubuntu 12.04 x86, Ubuntu 14.04 x86 ,Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is RAM efficient of the Ubuntu (Ubuntu 12.04 x86, Ubuntu 14.04 x86 ,Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64

edited July 2015 in Help

Please I would like to know which one of the ubuntus(Ubuntu 12.04 x86, Ubuntu 14.04 x86 , Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64) takes lesser ram. I am running a VPS on a 256Ram. So i want a to know the Ubuntu OS that is very efficient on RAM resources. I don't care about other distros. I don't care much about the processing speed. Please arrange the above listed Ubuntus in their order of RAM effieciency.

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited July 2015

Fedora 22 with LXDE.

Thanked by 1kingsleyuk2003
  • kingsleyuk2003 said: Ubuntu 12.04 x86

• @rahulks said:
    What about Ubuntu 14.04 x86 and Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 on a 256RAM

• @budi1413 said:
    Debian.

Thanks, I just want Ubuntu only

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@kingsleyuk2003 the 64 bit OS will always use more RAM than it's 32 bit counterpart but not by much.

• 64 bit OSes are only meant for systems with at least 4 GB of RAM, In your case you will be better of using a 32 bit(x86 ) OS Since you have only

• @KuJoe said:
    kingsleyuk2003 the 64 bit OS will always use more RAM than it's 32 bit counterpart but not by much.

But, Is it advisable to use the 64bit OS on a 256RAM for a VPS?

• kingsleyuk2003 said: Is it advisable to use the 64bit OS on a 256RAM for a VPS?

Yes,Only If its required for your usage of the VPS.

• ehabehab Member

@rahulks said:
    64 bit OSes are only meant for systems with at least 4 GB of RAM, In your case you will be better of using a 32 bit(x86 ) OS Since you have only

32 bit is legacy HW, i only met once instance a vm restricted to 32b distros. Move on the 64 if possible.

• Thanks Everyone for the knowledge. I appreciate.

• @rahulks said:
    64 bit OSes are only meant for systems with at least 4 GB of RAM

Nonsense. A 64-bit OS is going to be a better fit for any system running on a 64-bit chip, especially if you have to deal with large numbers. Memory addressing is only one scenario where that is true. The sooner we get off 32-bit, the sooner we can start working around things like the Year 2038 problem.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited July 2015

Debian 7 x86 minimal with UKSM-supported kernel

• kingsleyuk2003 said: Please arrange the above listed Ubuntus in their order of RAM effieciency.

Least to most RAM usage:

1. Ubuntu 12.04 x86
    2. Ubuntu 14.04 x86
    3. Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64

Ubuntu 14 uses systemd, which adds 2 or 3 mb RAM usage.

A 64bit system uses slightly more RAM that the same 32bit system.

• Let me be real here: Ubuntu isn't actually that great at handling memory.

@budi1413 said:
    Debian.

You're absolutely correct. Debian is the basis of Ubuntu.

• I'm not sure there's any point in running Ubuntu on a minimal server. Surely, as others have pointed out, plain Debian would be a better choice.

• Alright, for all the people here shouting which distro uses the least amount of RAM, can someone prove the reason a specific distro is the way it is? Most distros do the same shit so I don't see how their is difference.

• DBADBA Member

@techhelper1 said:
    Alright, for all the people here shouting which distro uses the least amount of RAM, can someone prove the reason a specific distro is the way it is? Most distros do the same shit so I don't see how their is difference.

The people who use a distro because it meets requirement X complain if a change negatively impacts them and push for changes that benefit them. Over time the distro gains a reputation for meeting requirement X attracting more users.

• FlamesRunner said: Let me be real here: Ubuntu isn't actually that great at handling memory.

What? This makes no sense. Please provide the evidence to support it.

Ole_Juul said: I'm not sure there's any point in running Ubuntu on a minimal server. Surely, as others have pointed out, plain Debian would be a better choice.

The advantage of Ubuntu over Debian is LTS (although Debian is moving that way, we'll see how it goes). As the 3 distros listed by the OP are all LTS, we might conclude he's looking for an LTS distro :)

techhelper1 said: Alright, for all the people here shouting which distro uses the least amount of RAM, can someone prove the reason a specific distro is the way it is? Most distros do the same shit so I don't see how their is difference.

Exactly. I use CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu. The difference in memory usage is in the services that are running, the configurations, and the traffic/activity. CentOS's yum tends to use more RAM that Debian's apt-get, but that can be fixed to a degree by disabling yum's 'fastest mirror' plugin.

Debian does a better job of providing a low-memory-usage environment out-of-the-box, while Ubuntu and CentOS require a little user intervention :)

• FlamesRunner said: Let me be real here: Ubuntu isn't actually that great at handling memory.

Ubuntu memory handling is exactly the same as Debians...

• getvpsgetvps Member

Is not big difference between any distro.. your usage will be (~55-85) always for default system.(no X,others) .. so maybe is better to use your favorite Linux version..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

The memory foot print depends way more on other things than on distro only. For example, a recent LAMP stack can take 64 MB or gigabytes, depending on how you configure apache, mysql and PHP, mostly, not how much memory libc takes. You can squeeze it even below 64 MB and still work if you know what you are doing and on OVZ you dont use own kernel anyway, so it is even less important what kind of distro you use.
    Sure, in theory, 64 bit os does take more ram, it is inevitable, also the more recent, it is conceivable will use more ram, CentOS is known to prefer functionality over frugality correctly appreciating RAM is cheap nowadays, whoever has a computer with less than 1 GB of RAM is probably throwing money out of window on power consumption and wastes his life away on waiting.
    However, an expert will tune CentOS to be an order of magnitude more frugal, than a newbie will be able to tune Debian out of the box, if even trying.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2015

@ehab said:
    32 bit is legacy HW, i only met once instance a vm restricted to 32b distros. Move on the 64 if possible.

Utter nonsense. Only reason to use 64bit is if you want to use more than 4GB of memory. On a restricted memory VPS 32bit makes more sense.

There may be edge cases but by and large we have have never run into technical issues of using 32 over 64. For a little while there we did run into some cases where there were issues using 64bit vs 32 but haven't run into that for awhile now.

• FritzFritz Veteran

If your processor supports 64 bit, then go for it, even if your RAM is below 4GB.

You'll get advantages of using 64 bit processor with 64 bit OS.

• sinsin Member

Ole_Juul said: I'm not sure there's any point in running Ubuntu on a minimal server. Surely, as others have pointed out, plain Debian would be a better choice.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 64-Bit on my Ramnode 128MB VPS (using it as a backup server) and it hovers around 5mb used - runs great!

• @sman said:

Utter nonsense. Only reason to use 64bit is if you want to use more than 4GB of memory. On a restricted memory VPS 32bit makes more sense.

If someone is running PHP then the result could be different on 64bit vs 32bit. The integers in PHP are different.

• @sleddog said:
    Debian does a better job of providing a low-memory-usage environment out-of-the-box, while Ubuntu and CentOS require a little user intervention :)

Eh, I just don't like systemd.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited July 2015

@FlamesRunner said: systemd

Why?

• Fritz said: You'll get advantages of using 64 bit processor with 64 bit OS.

Everybody says so. No proof required.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

You should probably start another thread about that. :)

Edit: read this thread for mixed opinions.