Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1u Intel or Supermicro Barebone Raid10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1u Intel or Supermicro Barebone Raid10

CoreyCorey Member
edited November 2011 in General

We are looking to build some raid10 machines, we want to use intel barebone, possibly supermicro.

The requirements are at least lga1156 capability, 8 DDR3 RAM slots, supports 4 3.5" drives.

We will be putting our own hardware raid controller in, so I do not care what onboard raid capability it has.

Can someone point me to a retailer they use for barebones like this? Thanks you!

Comments

• erh ... try newegg.com ?

• Already tried there, they do not have 1 barebone that meets my requirements that I could see.

• Well might wanna check these guys out. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/499911426/GA8602_bare_bones_computer_system.html

But i must say that Alibaba.com are mainly from China suppliers. Only get from those with reviews and "Gold Supplier" reputation. Just a tip. I never really bought anything big from there except for bunch of mp3 players last time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Is there any reason why you want to go barebone? Your DC is going to ding you for installing the CPU anyways?

You can usually build cheaper than a barebone by $100+

Francisco

• If you're buying your own hardware, first folks I would ask is the techs at your datacenter. They may have a required list of vendors that you have to pick from. Ours does. We can have vendors added to that list but it's still the first step I would do.

• @Corey there you go, advise from the veterans in the field.

• @Francisco said: cheaper than a barebone by $100+

I guess the + saves your butt here, but barebone deals are some of the worst deals out there as they include things like optical drives you do not need, onboard options you do not need ....

Find the case you like, motherboard and bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2011

@miTgiB
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Its amazing the savings you can make by actually going the DIY method instead of paying for un-needed pre-made configs.

You can even find some nice motherboard/CPU/RAM bundles if you look hard enough all pre-installed on the board, just find a midi/rack case to suit the board with enough room for the drives, throw in a suitable PSU and jobs a good `en :D

I know this because we recently looked at doing a small buildout ourselves but HD prices are ruining things at the moment :(

Thanked by 1drmike
  • nice motherboard/CPU/RAM bundles

+1. Pity we can't get the one I like any more. :(

• @drmike
    Which ones that?

We found a nice AMD X6 1055T with ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and 8GB DDR3 RAM for 262 GBP.

I know some-one is going to jump in and say, oh AMD X6 are desktop grade, but they benchmark stupid and through what i see with our current leased X6s they are stable as hell. Going on 160 days uptime with one of them, full capacity as well.

• I always watch the combo deals at Newegg as you never know what they will sneak in, sometimes offering a great buy, but I buy too much on the pull/lease return/used market to save where I can. I have a pile of 5+ year old machines I've been retro-fitting a few each month as funds allow to recycle all my old machines. I'm down from 2 full racks in SC to just over 1/2 a rack while having double if not more revenue and customers in the location by just modernizing the equipment. Each new rebuilt server allows me to take 4 old ones out of service and still offer 1/2 the new server for more services. And in LA it is even more dramatic as I have to be very mindful of my power draw, the more machines I can fit into a 20A circuit, the better I can sustain and the higher cost of drives doesn't really bother me too much, it's harder finding the drives, not paying the higher price.

• @miTgiB

Yup, pretty much every 500GB drive we found online was out of stock! Im starting to think i might be better off looking locally in hardware stores ETC, maybe the stock locally has not been exhausted yet.

• @VMport

Buy used system pulls/lease returns, they still have original warranty time left. I picked up a bunch of 1tb ultrastars over the weekend on eBay, I prefer 500gb but right now I'll take what I can get to sustain my 4 node growth a month, and finding 16 drives is not so easy.

• And I'm sitting on 300 or so 1TBs. :)

We actually have a pair of 250gigs in each server currently. Been thinking about changing them out for a while now. Kind of waiting for the old ones to start burning out as we still have about 75 of them as well.

• @drmike said: And I'm sitting on 300 or so 1TBs.

And I'd offer something if you benefited, not your ex.

• We're still carrying them at cost in our inventory so it wouldn't benefit or hurt if I sold them. The issue is we have our biannual IRS audit (thanks to my ex) come January, they look back over the last 6 months, and we're already in that time period so nothing is happening with inventory or long term debt (We don't have any but still) or abnormal payments or anything else.

This is going to be a big one because the last 2 were quick glances. They didn't even count servers last time.

And we're going to have to swap out the drives anyway sometime I would think.

• @drmike

Fancy shipping some across the pond :P

• Nope, no hardware is moving until after the audit and by then I would think the lines would be spinning back up.

The first year I got audited after Angie split with the money, they counted blank CD's and compared them against usage records.

• And i thought we were friend's :(

• You've never met an IRS agent, have you?

• Seen as im from the UK, nope :)

• @Fransisco well I usually build the machine at home and send it to the datacenter.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited November 2011

@Corey said: lga1156 capability, 8 DDR3 RAM slots

As far as I know, you can't get more than 6 DDR3 slots with Desktop CPU boards like 1156/1155. Even the current "Intel E3" boards don't have that many RAM slots.

You'll have to go with LGA 1366 and Xeon Processors if you want more than 6 DDR3 RAM slots

With 1366, you'll have 6, 12 or 18 RAM slots.

• 18 RAM slots

For those who have a very small well you know. ;)

• @drmike
    I think the word your looking for is budget. LOL

edited November 2011

@drmike said: For those who have a very small well you know. ;)

Some men are longer than others. :)

• @kiloserve said: As far as I know, you can't get more than 6 DDR3 slots with Desktop CPU boards like 1156/1155. Even the current "Intel E3" boards don't have that many RAM slots.

1156 have 4 slots, no more afaik

• Well that is odd.

edited November 2011

@yomero said: 1156 have 4 slots, no more afaik

Hi Yomero

I think you're right about the 1155 sockets (only 4 Ram slots) but the 1156 can do 6's.

I have some of the 1156 as dedicated rentals, they use this socket 1156 mobo with 6 RAM slots

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/3400/X8SIE.cfm?IPMI=Y&TYP=LN4

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Even at 6, that's only 24G total.

The problem with using the i7's and 34xx, is that they use quite a bit more power than the E3's. i7's are 125W + the rest of the system so it's quite up there once you add a raid card + the RAM.

Francisco