Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC is slowing down and unresponsive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PC is slowing down and unresponsive

raysmtaraysmta Member
edited July 2015 in Help

Well I had my pc since 2010 and it worked up until 2014 when I had the need to update the graphics card due to the little FPS I received so I bought a GT 610 not as powerful but fine. But then in 2015 I realised my pc started running slower and whilst I ran it on Windows 8 Pro. I tried cleaning registry's and a few scans with AVG Security and TuneUp but there was no luck. Any ideas?

And sometimes when I turn on my pc it doesn't load up meaning HDD becomes unresponsive so I have to switch cables and things to make it respond and just about work and this used to happen on Windows 7 as well for me.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2015

General slowdowns; whats Task manager reporting? Any stray processes or background applications firing up?

In regards to the bootups;

Check the HDD health using a SMART reader, if that fails then I would look at ensuring the PSU is delivering the correct voltages, use a proper power supply tester rather than a software based tool for this.

You may also wish to check over the BIOS settings and check nothing has inadvertently been changed resulting in a unstable system. If your running an overclock or have a low quality chip then you may want to try bumping the voltage a notch or two over the standard voltages (I have had this before for a NB that couldn't run RAM at the rated specs on standard voltage.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hdd

• HDD sounds like the cause, maybe it's time to swap for an SSD?

• wychwych Member

nexmark said: time to swap for an SSD?

One of the best upgrades anyone can do to a system.

Thanked by 2Lm85H4gFkh3wk3 BBTN
  • the problem in temperature.
    Now is summer. And temperature is high.

• wychwych Member

@desperand said:
    the problem in temperature.
    Now is summer. And temperature is high.

Not always ;)

• Try defragmenting the disk.

• Thanks first I will try a defrag then I will let u guys know the results ty and also I have a HDD from an unused laptop will it work?

• Faster disks and more RAM tend to be a larger performance boost than CPU upgrades. I'd recommending upgrading disks for a solid performance boost.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2015

raysmta said: HDD from an unused laptop will it work?

SATA vs IDE could be an issue but if they are the same bus type it should do, just make sure it doesn't short out in your case depending how you mount it.

Thanked by 1Gallus
  • The Hard Drive is -

TOSHIBA MK5061GSY SERIAL ATA SATA 7200RPM 500GB

Will it work?

• @wych said:
    One of the best upgrades anyone can do to a system.

Especially for older systems, on a desktop with the mobo supporting only SATA or SATA II, SSD + SATA controller is the best to get that max speed from the SSD

• wychwych Member

@raysmta said:
    The Hard Drive is -

TOSHIBA MK5061GSY SERIAL ATA SATA 7200RPM 500GB

Will it work?

If your desktop has a sata connector sure.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Get SSD, never wait again. It's beautiful <3

• @raysmta

Please check your CPU handles that can also cause a slow down.

• sc754sc754 Member

Get an ssd!

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Well.. SSD'S are quite expensive as you all know lool,
    If I want to get like 500 GB in SSD it would be like $77.59 or something idk.

• SadySady Member

@raysmta said:
    Well.. SSD'S are quite expensive as you all know lool,

Noops, you'll get 120GB GB SSD in this, 500GB would be $120+ :P And this is even more expensive here in my Country.

• ehabehab Member
    edited July 2015

reinstall windows and the apps... always works when i used to use windows... best to change to linux

• wychwych Member

@ehab said:
    reinstall windows and the apps... always works when i used to use windows...

he already went 7 to 8.

best to change to linux

not always possible.

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited July 2015

Try running a chkdsk. I came across many computers with bad sectors, and Windows was always trying to read the data inside it, causing the computer to slow down due to the I/O hang. Instead of shouting an alert to the user that there are bad sectors, no, it just keeps trying to read them over infinitely...

P.S: Chkdsk will prevent Windows from reading/writing bad sectors that are found.

Edit: If a chkdsk doesn't solve your issue try running a RAM test. I remember the Ubuntu CD has an option to test memory RAM for errors.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

ehab said: reinstall windows and the apps... always works when i used to use windows... best to change to linux

Exactly! With all the work of reinstalling MS-Windows and apps, it might be quicker to install FreeBSD. (same as doubling your ram - except free)

• wychwych Member

@ehab said:
    reinstall windows and the apps... always works when i used to use windows...

he already went 7 to 8.

best to change to linux

not always possible.

• ehabehab Member
    edited July 2015

@wych said:
    not always possible.

i can only think of old hardware "win drivers" and some apps not able to run in wine or mono.

• ehabehab Member

just though i write this.

maybe you can try moving the swap "page" file away from main "c". Create an empty partition and move the page file and temp directory there , size depends maybe 20GB is enough. use ccleaner and defrag at least once a week.

• @raysmta said:
    Well.. SSD'S are quite expensive as you all know lool,

I've got this SSD on one of my desktop computers
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436583876&sr=1-3&keywords=SSD

Pretty cheap, I use the SSD for the boot drive (OS) and a standard WD 500GB HDD for Data

• Is it possible to use 2 HDD's in 1 PC like take my laptop one out and put it in internally because I have spare cables.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

raysmta said: Is it possible to use 2 HDD's in 1 PC like take my laptop one out and put it in internally because I have spare cables.

You can use as many as you like, as long as you have space and your PSU can handle it.

A good plan is to use an SSD for your OS and a cheaper spinner for your personal files. As done by @nexmark in comment above. But yes, your laptop drive will go in there if you like.

• wychwych Member

@raysmta said:
    Is it possible to use 2 HDD's in 1 PC like take my laptop one out and put it in internally because I have spare cables.

Provided you have spare SATA ports and PSU connectors yes.

• Yeap, thanks worked. And when I plugged that in aswell, suddenly my PC's speeded up wow, hope it stays like this.