Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tracert temporarily shows incorrect IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

tracert temporarily shows incorrect IP

ReeRee Member

Any idea why tracert would temporarily show an incorrect IP? It did this for multiple subdomains (ie www.xyz.com, aaa.xyz.com, bbb.xyz.com, all of which should have resolved to a different IP but resolved to the same incorrect IP), so I went and tried on another PC and it was fine (showed the correct IP), and then by the time I go back to the first PC it was also fine (having made no changes).

Seems suspicious that it happened in the first place, but then strange that it went away so quickly with no changes being made.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

DNS caching. :(

• ReeRee Member

I don't think that's it. The IPs for these domains haven't changed in years. Unless I'm not understanding what you meant.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Tracery is not a DNS checking tool. It's a network diagnostic tool. Would've more interested to know what nslookup and dig have to say.

• ReeRee Member

@Clouvider said:
    Tracery is not a DNS checking tool. It's a network diagnostic tool. Would've more interested to know what nslookup and dig have to say.

Yeah I was actually using it to test the network and discovered the DNS issue as a result of that testing...something wasn't loading so I ran the trace and when I saw it hop through California for a server that's down the hallway I was like WTF, and that's when I noticed that it had resolved the domain to an incorrect IP address.

Can you do dig +trace your.domain.name on the one that shows correct IP and the the one that shows incorrect? If you're afraid to post result publicly you can PM me.

• ReeRee Member

@Clouvider said:
    Can you do dig +trace your.domain.name on the one that shows correct IP and the the one that shows incorrect? If you're afraid to post result publicly you can PM me.

They both show correct now. After noticing the issue, it resolved itself within the span of a couple minutes (the time it took to go test on another PC and come back to the first one).

No idea how long the issue existed before it was noticed though.

Ah... Happens... Test it out when it reoccurres again. Good luck hunting :)